Hornby Class 50,s

35 Ark Royal

Lion was fetching very low prices a couple of years back when I brought mine, I guess as a result of this all the cheap ones have finally been sold.

A quick look on Ebay tells me that the prices of all Class 50s have gone up in the past couple of years.

I remember 3 or 4 years ago I bought a couple of brand new Vacs (50035 and 50007, I think they were) from one of the retailers for £45 a piece!

Now it seems that for less than £60 you can't get anything, new or used. :angry:

Of course it's the same story with Bachmann too. A few years ago you could have a Class 37 or a Deltic for about the same money, now even the old ones (eg. 37671 55002) seem to be selling them for over £50.

So maybe there's just more demand at the present moment.

Or perhaps since the cost of labour in the Far East has increased the cost of new models has gone up, thus incurring the value of the second hand market to increase too?

It's all a mystery to me. Ah the good old days when a Lima 50 was yours £13 ;) :D

Good afternoon,

Does anybody have a photo of 50 048 (real loco in ONSE) they could upload on here. I am looking to see a straight side on veiw if possible, as need to see what colour the vents are (one on bottom of roof) and also have a look at the upswept NSE stripes at the cab ends. From the thousands i have looked at all the locos are slightly differant and as they are on an angle impossible to tell properly......

Darren.

From the thousands i have looked at all the locos are slightly differant and as they are on an angle impossible to tell properly......

And let's not forget that back in the day we didn't benefit from the High Res digital camera we now have.

I seem to remember one of my first 35mm cameras came from Argos and cost £12 :lol: At the time I thought it was high-tech as it was possible to choose between having the time or date on the picture! :D

HI,

Does anyone know what the old lima ones are worth? I have all the lime versions they made and looking at parting with them, have far too many Hornby ones now too!

You could start by looking at the top of this page, where I just found this:

A quick look on Ebay tells me that the prices of all Class 50s have gone up in the past couple of years.

I remember 3 or 4 years ago I bought a couple of brand new Vacs (50035 and 50007, I think they were) from one of the retailers for £45 a piece!

Now it seems that for less than £60 you can't get anything, new or used. :angry:

Of course it's the same story with Bachmann too. A few years ago you could have a Class 37 or a Deltic for about the same money, now even the old ones (eg. 37671 55002) seem to be selling them for over £50.

So maybe there's just more demand at the present moment.

Or perhaps since the cost of labour in the Far East has increased the cost of new models has gone up, thus incurring the value of the second hand market to increase too?

It's all a mystery to me. Ah the good old days when a Lima 50 was yours £13 ;) :D

Alternatively, you could go on eBay and set a selection of them to watch, then you'll get an idea of what prices they were fetching in March 2010. Just a thought. :rolleyes:

You could start by looking at the top of this page, where I just found this:

Alternatively, you could go on eBay and set a selection of them to watch, then you'll get an idea of what prices they were fetching in March 2010. Just a thought. :rolleyes:

Thanks, have had a look on ebay but some of the rare beasts like ex trainset ones nver seem to come up! Dare say there are still some collectors of these.

Cheers

Good afternoon,

Does anybody have a photo of 50 048 (real loco in ONSE) they could upload on here. I am looking to see a straight side on veiw if possible, as need to see what colour the vents are (one on bottom of roof) and also have a look at the upswept NSE stripes at the cab ends. From the thousands i have looked at all the locos are slightly differant and as they are on an angle impossible to tell properly......

Darren.

http://50027lion.fotopic.net/p52159831.html

http://rail-photos.fotopic.net/p14390583.html

Those are pretty close to what you are looking for I think.

Bruce

• 2 weeks later...

My ever expanding list of Vacs: (all Hornby. all DCC. some with Sound. ones that have been repainted and/or weathered have been professionally done)

D400 blue. weathered

50007 Green. weathered Limited Edition of 500

50008 Laira blue. weathered

50015 Dutch. weathered with snowploughs (repaint)

50018 RNSE. snowploughs

50019 Laira blue. weathered

50026 ONSE. weathered

50029 RNSE. weathered

50031 LL. Limited Edition of 1000

50032 ONSE. weathered

50033 RNSE. weathered.

50036 LL gray roof. snowploughs

50037 Laira blue. weathered

50039 LL gray roof. weathered

50040 LL gray roof

50044 RNSE. weathered

50149 RF. Limited Edition of 1000

I also used to have the following, but they were stolen from me!

50030 RNSE

50049 RNSE

50008 Laira Blue

50037 Laira Blue

50046 LL black roof - Hellfire machine & model. The pride & joy of my collection

• 4 weeks later...

Today I had a go at experimenting a bit with the marker lights on one of my Vacs.

I feel Hornby got it right with 50149 but they left them clear on the others, and to me it just looks like two holes are there. Why on earth couldn't they do them like they did on 50149? :blink:

So I took the cabs out, removed the little bit of plastic that's supposed to be the marker lights (had to push it out with the point of a knife). I then painted it in Humbrol matt white (In retrospect I wonder why I did it in matt, surely gloss would have been better. They were glass after all!)

While I was waiting for the paint to dry I had a brilliant idea about going around the edges of the markers lights with a felt-tip pen.

You can see the results for yourself. One pic is a standard Hornby Vac, the other is my modified one. (Yes, I know 50040's crooked, it's meant to be like that! :lol: )

I'm thinking about doing the same job on all my fleet, but I'm interested in others views on this.

post-4688-127257542316.jpg

Now, to matters of greater concern:-

I noticed the grills on my 50019 were bent....

post-4688-127257550634.jpg

So I removed the body and noticed this! :O :unsure: :blink: post-4688-127257562893.jpg

My grills sit normally when the body's off, but as soon as I unite it with it's chassis they bend again.

This model has never been dropped or involved in any sort of collision, so I'm wondering if this is likely to be the dreaded chassis problem that is affecting so many models at the moment?

Worrying.... <_<

Evening

Those marker lights look good to me. Much better effect than Hornby's. I wonder how 50 149's were done. I will have to have a look at mine later. As regards your chassis problem OUCH, so far I haven't been effected touch wood. Have you considered replacing those awful Hornby grilles. They really do let the model down IMHO.

post-6788-127265682979_thumb.jpg

Mark

So I removed the body and noticed this! ohmy.gif unsure.gif blink.gif post-4688-127257562893.jpg

My grills sit normally when the body's off, but as soon as I unite it with it's chassis they bend again.

This model has never been dropped or involved in any sort of collision, so I'm wondering if this is likely to be the dreaded chassis problem that is affecting so many models at the moment?

Worrying.... dry.gif

hmm - the bit of metal thats shown broken isnt actually part of the main chassis casting - its the cover for the close coupling mechanism - I think its likely the corner has snapped off possibly because its been stressed by the screw not aligning properly or being too tight

tfn

Jon

Worrying.... dry.gif

If it is the chassis problem you are not the first to have it on a class 50. I reported on the previous version of RM web that one of my 50's had a cracked body along with a 60. I informed Hornby who replied & asked for details around a year ago. I have emailed them again but await a reply.

The marker lights look good bt the way!

Paul

Good point Jon and I now remember that the louvres are forever getting stuck like that. I think they get jammed on the gubbins inside, easily resolved with a bit of prodding and poking as I recall.

Mark

Edit

Just found a photo of one of mine that had similar problem. No chassis bend just wonky Louvres. Fixed by playing around a bit.

post-6788-12726593514_thumb.jpg

Guest CPRAIL3000

Mark did you ever think of supplying the replacement grilles already painted/sprayed as some people always fear ruining a good looking model? I think the grilles Hornby fit are a disgrace but they don't do anything to rectify the eyesore.

Guys, thanks for the feedback on the marker lights. To be honest I haven't tried to run the loco with the lights on yet, but it should probably be ok, so in due course I shall now proceed to give my whole fleet the same treatment....

Phew! I'm relieved it doesn't seem to be the infamous chassis problem I've got. :D

50033, I really like your grills. The standard Hornby ones don't look anything like the real thing. CPRAIL has hit the nail on the head. Plus many of my Vacs have been resprayed, so it would be near impossible to match the paint <_<. I wish I had of known about your product before I repainted some of my machines. However I'll probably try them on my next Vac (which is likely to be Ajax B) )

• RMweb Premium

Well at the moment I am just rebuilding the fleet, I sold off all my 50's a couple of years back including my two repainted NSE examples and boy do I regret it now.

Anyway, there is a Large Logo one which I have to rescue from the postal system tomorrow which will become 50031 'Hood' and I just won a weathered NSE version on Ebay for less than 40 notes which may get a repaint into err NSE livery.

OMWB at the moment is in mid painting an original NSE 50 which will become 50034. It came in original NSE livery but as Hornby have NEVER got a NSE liveried model right in twenty five years, I am repainting it anyway as I cannot live with the silly errors which seem to plague their 50's along with the dodgy colour selection and so called 'weathering' on their late NSE ones.

EDIT - Dear oh dear, I had forgotten how unbelievably naff those louvres were!!!

50033, looking at you pic of 50031 again. Are you sure the chassis on that isn't bending? These does appear to be a crack at the front of the cab.... (lower right hand, next to the orange square) :unsure:

And you want some black paint on your ETH cables :P

Hi guys.

To be honest I've never thought of pre painting the replacement vents as I'd have to do so many variations and could never guarantee to match colours especially when Hornby have added their silly weathering. Either that or do them to order, which I don't mind but I just don't get the chance that often to get the airbrush out and have a good session. If I do get chance soon though I will do a few variations and see if there's more of an interest. I will post results here but can't promise when.

50 031 met with a slight accident and did get knocked on the front. It doesn't look that bad in the flesh but I will be paying some finer attention to it. This picture is straight out the box and just pipes added post accident. I'm very slowly replacing windscreens on my 16 strong fleet. Once Brian adds bits to his extreme etchings range these will be added too. I don't have a time limit and having heard what Brian has planned I'd rather wait until he's released everything before finishing any models. 50 031, 50 007 and 50 149 will be done last as these are the expensive ones.

Mark

• RMweb Premium

Newly out shopped from the workbench this very morning:

post-6910-12733164323.jpg

post-6910-12733164537.jpg

post-6910-127331647149.jpg

50034 'Furious' in original NSE livery. Had a bit of a debate about the head code box NSE logos at first as the picture I was working from during the repaint (Page 30 of 'Heritage Traction in Colour - Volume 1, The Class 50's')shows it at Waterloo without them but as I was cutting up my transfers ready for application, I came across another picture of 034 at OOC with them so put them on anyway.

I have a stock of two "weathered" NSE examples in the spares siding at the moment, one of which later will become 50027 'Lion' in revised NSE with all the trimmings all being well.

• RMweb Premium

It was 'Dauntless' but it was a full repaint as the Hornby representation of the livery is so horribly wrong I could not live with it. The 'Dauntless' model is based on the Doncaster version of original NSE anyway with the higher white cantrail stripe and more blue on the cab doors and I wanted an OOC version.

As I was painting I came across more errors than at first apparent as Hornby had most of the stripes either the wrong width or just completely in the wrong place for either version of early NSE. The shade of blue was slightly off but still acceptable but as for that permatan orange they call warning panel yellow, don't get me started... :lol:

Just started work on stripping down a 50002 'Superb' in the awful representation of late NSE livery with the way too dark blue, the permatan orange 'yellow' and horrible weathering. It will emerge as 50027 in late NSE some time next week I hope, at least Hornby had the stripes in almost the right place on that one which makes some masking up a bit easier!!