Hornby Class 50,s

35 Ark Royal

two more additions to my own fleet, 50007 sir edward in green, and another 035 which im going to spray as 50149 as i dont fancy paying 130 quid plus for the rail express one. one question though, what shade of grey were defiances grills, as they are darker than the bodysides?

Hi all,

Larry, I must say that is one decent collection of Vac's :blink: you say that you have no layout up and running at the moment? what a shame all those lovely Vac's sat in there boxes, you could always pass them on to me :D ;)

All the best Darren NSE DAZ

Hi all,

Larry, I must say that is one decent collection of Vac's :blink: you say that you have no layout up and running at the moment? what a shame all those lovely Vac's sat in there boxes, you could always pass them on to me :D ;)

All the best Darren NSE DAZ

At an average price of £60 that will be £960 then...or call it £900 for cash??????? :rolleyes:

All my Class 50s dreams would come true with another 16 in my fleet. Don't tempt me Larry!! :lol:

Seriously, you'd enjoy your models much more if you had some sort of a layout/diorama to run/put them on. Have a look at my Smugglers Lane for some inspiration.

my own line up, the only one missing is 50149 sitting in the spray booth.

post-6736-0-68193400-1299608923_thumb.jpg

the line up, D400, 50007, 50045, 50004 and 50035.

post-6736-0-39964900-1299609027_thumb.jpg

the same line up in the yard

post-6736-0-40096900-1299609080_thumb.jpg

50007 and D400 head a train towards london through the countryside.

ill add some pics of defiance when its finished.

cheers.

• 2 weeks later...

I plan to do 50005 and 041 in Revised NSE (renumbered from 045) however, did they both receive the darker blue? I think 005 did but not sure about 041? and did 005 carry the crest below the nameplate on this version?

Simon

loving this thread, plenty of 50s to Drool over admire,My projected fleet will eventually be( in no particular order):

50036 LLB

renumbering LLB one to 049,

renumber original NSE one to 017 and another to 025,

50008 repaint

50018 revised NSE

NL

I'll probably get shot for saying this, but my fleet currently consists of 50007 in GWR green, 50135 repainted into LoadHaul colours, and one more currently awaiting its repaint into LMS colours as 50017. Sorry!

I plan to do 50005 and 041 in Revised NSE (renumbered from 045) however, did they both receive the darker blue? I think 005 did but not sure about 041?

50005 recieved the dark NSE blue in October 1990.

50041 did not get the darker shade of NSE blue.

and did 005 carry the crest below the nameplate on this version?

Only on the side with the 5 air vents.

(On the other side I believe it was somehow damaged in June 1990 and never replaced)

• RMweb Premium

Well its been nearly 18 months since I last posted so this is the current state of play at Exford Park.

50003 Temeraire. RNSE (light). Renumbered/weathered from Lion.

50007 Sir Ted GW150. Added new plates with black backgrounds and weathered.

50024 Vanguard RNSE (dark). Renumbered from 50045.

50031 Hood Blue LL. Lightly weathered.

50036 Victorious Blue LL. Renumbered/weathered from 50035.

50037 Illustrious ONSE renumbered from 50048 with livery corrected, weathered and sound fitted.

50046 Ajax Blue LL black roof. Renumbered from another 50035. Sound fitted and needs some weathering to complete.

50050 Fearless RNSE (light). To be renumbered from another Lion. Still awaiting its time!

I will try to get some photos of the fleet posted soon.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Vac basher no 4 very nice loved St Vincent probably second best between 50001-010 would rate Thunderer first, then St Vincent,Conqueror and Dreadnought.

Got myself Lion with the extra window :rolleyes:but a bargain at £50 and just bought 50015 Valiant in Dutch which i was hoping to do a body swap with 48 as this will become Ark Royal.

Also plan to re number Superb and de weather that awful factory weathering and re number to 17 Royal Oak.

So Vac Basher any more 50's planned and will you be having 35? or are you another one who dislikes it?

I'll probably get shot for saying this, but my fleet currently consists of 50007 in GWR green, 50135 repainted into LoadHaul colours, and one more currently awaiting its repaint into LMS colours as 50017. Sorry!

Sir Edward I can live with but the other 2, the best 2 in the entire fleet imho i can not.

Royal Oak was vandalised in that horrible livery :blink: and Ark Royal looks like a mobile jaffa cake :angry: what on earth poseesed them would had rather had Original NSE with 35 above the headcode box or dark RNSE with no flashes.

See pics.

35 in ONSE at Birm New St with 1M20 18/08/89 Luckiley for me 35 worked this diagram 3 days running :P

35 now in dark blue and missing crests at Coventry about to detatched from 1M20 now booked for a strumming devise but the spoon failed and 35 hooked on at Padd, so that was the day sorted. :P

post-5841-0-84155800-1301927842_thumb.jpg

post-5841-0-32528500-1301928014_thumb.jpg

I have long-term plans for another 19 Hoovers B)

And I won't be having 50035 just once, but twice!! :D

So you another one who don't rate it.

Well for me it was the best one and i chased it all over the place.

My machine, no 8 and 50 had some bias towards them, probably because people were just jealous. :lol:

You rated 46 i presume by your posts while i rated 35 and before you say i did not have anything against Ajax it was a hellfire engine and should have been preserved.

The ones are disliked if this is possible to dislike a Vac :blink: would be 50007/012/022/026/038 and 043 and safe to say i would not have any of theese in my fleet.

I notice you got Indomitable in your fleet.

This was a bag of old spanners and not one of the best but each to thier own.

Hi all.

Just picked up on this thread. I'll have to have a good read through when I have a little more time as there's some interesting detailing suggestions. I think the Hornby 50 is an awesome model and I have one of the original D421 models to renumber and remove the front jumpers. It will be D402 which is my favourite 50 - the first one I saw and had many trips behind her.....

Problem is, I model the NE region 1966 to 1968, so I'm really going to have to stretch reality to get one to the Yorkshire Coast on a seaside special! Who cares. Its my world and if I want to run a 50 alongside a Deltic, I don't need to justify it. :lol:

Cheers.

Sean.

if I want to run a 50 alongside a Deltic, I don't need to justify it. :lol:

I've no trouble at all doing precisely that on the WR* :D

* Which, for the uninitiated, stands for Waverley Route :P

If memory serves the Deltic / 50 scenario did actually happen on the WR proper in 1975 (???) Couldn't say where or when but I seem to remember it was a trial of some kind associated with the effects of high speed trains passing each other / structures / platforms

So you another one who don't rate it.

I notice you got Indomitable in your fleet. This was a bag of old spanners and not one of the best but each to thier own.

Spec's on mate B) I didn't say I didn't rate 50035. If you read the other part of my sentence you may see that I said I'll be having 50035 twice.

Yes, I admit 50026 wasn't one of the best ones :rolleyes: nor was it one of the worst one though. I'd say it was a fair machine.

If memory serves the Deltic / 50 scenario did actually happen on the WR proper in 1975 (???) Couldn't say where or when but I seem to remember it was a trial of some kind associated with the effects of high speed trains passing each other / structures / platforms

If anybody has any more info about this I'd be interested in hearing about these tests.

Deltic's and 50'S

I do remember a post card pack from Dawlish with a pic of a deltic and Vac combo at the Cross, also 1999 the fox killer train to Bournemouth on the Sunday for a march againt the then Labour party who were in town for their conference, This was worked by 50017 and D9009 from Wolverhampton to Bournemouth and back with an ECS to Weymouth.

not only that they rubbed shoulders around York and Doncaster when Donny did the main overhauls on the Vacs.

Spec's on mate B) I didn't say I didn't rate 50035. If you read the other part of my sentence you may see that I said I'll be having 50035 twice.

Yes, I admit 50026 wasn't one of the best ones :rolleyes: nor was it one of the worst one though. I'd say it was a fair machine.

If anybody has any more info about this I'd be interested in hearing about these tests.

Ok, must have mis read your post, yes 26 was not too good, but not the worst either.

So id be interested in what you thought were the worst ones?

So long term what are theese 19 vacs to be?

Imyself, now hopefuly next week to start renumbering Dauntless to 35 but it will be a long job :rolleyes: as a lot of work.

But should look good when i have completed.In the NSE thread im going to upload a pic of every Vac in ONSE Livery as i have a pic of every one. :)