UK Diesels,4mm, what is left to produce?

Pandora

The other omissions are mentioned (if sometimes obliquely) in various other threads. Principally, they are the NBL diesel-electrics (type 1/cl. 16 and type 2/cl.21 or 29). BTW a D600 is coming, as a Kernow commission from Dapol

Of the 1960s prototypes, the remaining significant omission is DP2

• RMweb Gold

Indeed as Pennine has mentioned the NBL type 2's of classes 21/29 seems the biggest ommission now in geographical terms ER, ScR, though you can half see why Heljan (everybody thought they'd do them 'cos most people who'd bought a 26/27 would also want one!) would be put off because of the forthcoming 22 from Dapol.

Although visually similar the locos are quite different not least in length, and I dont think its in anyway 'nailed on' that we'll see a Dapol 21/29?

Possibly because there are plenty Hornby ones still knocking about, maybe we'll get a 28 before the NBL type twos are addressed? ! - that'd turn me into a Cumbrian Coast modeller!

Not yet mentioned: NBL class 16 Bo-Bo. To be honest, I can't see there being too much demand for those, as Heljan are doing the BTH class 15.

Two other prototypes I can't recall being mentioned yet: 10800 and the Fell Diesel (was it 10100?).

Logically, Bachmann should do DP2 and GT3 (I know that's not a diesel!) as they have the correct chassis for each (Deltic and Standard 5, respectively).

EDIT: Sorry Ian (PennineMC): I missed your reference to the NBL class 16s earlier. ?  :icon_redface:

Hey careful with all that Class 74 talk - I've just completed a kit :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

No - I'd be delighted to see it and the Class 71 (I know it's an electric loco) as decent RTR models.

The Bo-Co / 21-29 and 16 are dead certs surely ??

Time for the electrics then - Class 76 and the rest of the AC stuff ??

Guest jim s-w

If we are talking diesel then the Derby suburban units are the most glaring gap in UK diesel trains. Plus there is a mass of 'yellow stuff' to choose from.

I still maintain the best thing a manufacturer could do for the UK diesel modeller is a decent range of mk2e's and f's

Cheers

Jim

• RMweb Gold

If we are talking diesel then the Derby suburban units are the most glaring gap in UK diesel trains. Plus there is a mass of 'yellow stuff' to choose from.

I still maintain the best thing a manufacturer could do for the UK diesel modeller is a decent range of mk2e's and f's

Cheers

Jim

I agree Jim... and as far as railcars go there are plenty of DMU's to do full stop.

Logically, Bachmann should do DP2 and GT3 (I know that's not a diesel!) as they have the correct chassis for each (Deltic and Standard 5, respectively).

GT3 had a coupled wheelbase of 7'-0'' + 7'-9'', (taken from a drawing in Model Railway News July 1962), whereas the Standard 5 had 7'-0'' + 8'-6''.

The theory that GT3 was built on spare Standard 5 frames seems to have been a myth; (see http://britishrailways.tripod.com/exgt3.html). This sort of misinformation was rife amongst spotters at the time - I know, I was one of them.

7'-0'' + 7'-9'' matches the GWR Hall, Manor and Mogul - I will base my scratchbuilt model on a set of Gibson Manor frames, I think.

Another rumour at the time came from one usually unreliable local spotter, and he was roundly derided from his troubles. He insisted that there was a 'Super Clayton' running trials on the Derby to Crewe line.

Having participated in the vocal debunking at the time I was, to say the least, shocked to learn years later of the existence of DHP1 !! :O

Well - it never appeared in an Ian Allan Combined Volume so it couldn't have existed - could it ? :huh:

Regards,

John Isherwood.

• RMweb Gold

....Another rumour at the time came from one usually unreliable local spotter, and he was roundly derided from his troubles. He insisted that there was a 'Super Clayton' running trials on the Derby to Crewe line.

Having participated in the vocal debunking at the time I was, to say the least, shocked to learn years later of the existence of DHP1 !!

Well - it never appeared in an Ian Allan Combined Volume so it couldn't have existed - could it ?

Regards,

John Isherwood.

I think there was a Clayton look-a-like demonstrator on the cards... there was 'Taurus'as well.... the 'beefed' up 'Teddy-bear' look-a-like.

I think an updated 73 to modern standards with cast chassis etc, would go down a treat and I would love a 74.

/quote]

I will be login to a certain website at midnight 31st December 2009 to see if there is an announcement which involves the the NRM Class 74.

I think there was a Clayton look-a-like demonstrator on the cards... there was 'Taurus'as well.... the 'beefed' up 'Teddy-bear' look-a-like.

Griff, I think you've missed the humour in John's post. The diesel-hydraulic 'super Clayton' did exist:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_Rail_DHP1

No pic there unfortunately, but there are a few in publication

Oh yes, that would be soooo useful. Loads of liveries, plenty of variations, running on the network from the 70s to the present day. That's a project and a half. You could sell the same basic variants over and over in fleet quantities, yet also have enough specials and variants to have new variants for years. I can't quite understand why someone hasn't done it yet. I'd have at least six straight off, probably more like ten to twelve...

Archived