"Caleta" semi-fictional Costa Brava in N

Pete 75C

If I may also go slightly off-piste as well to ask a question please, as we seem to have all the resident RMWeb Spanish experts here!

I'm off to Barcelona soon and I'd really like to see the preserved Brill cars from the Sarria Line:-

http://www.trenscat.com/metrovalles/trenshistorics_ct.html

From what I can gather, they live in the depot and only come out to play on special occasions, such as the Sarria Line 150th celebrations in 2013:-

http://www.trenscat.com/metrovalles/circesp130607_ct.html

Does anyone know if it's possible to see them at other times?

Thanks

15344348794_32d8f741e8_c.jpg

Automotores BRILL de Ferrocarrils de Sarrià. El "18"      [EXPLORED - 07/12/2014] by Miquel  González Page, on Flickr

15964841421_ec57b65a00_c.jpg

Automotores BRILL de Ferrocarrils de Sarrià. El "301" by Miquel  González Page, on Flickr

Does anyone know if it's possible to see them at other times?

I've had a good "Google" but my Spanish just isn't up to it! Hopefully someone will know.

I asked Andy Y a week or two ago about creating a Spanish sub-forum in the existing Continental/Overseas section of RMWeb and the answer was "no problem". I think he's forgotten. I'll give him a gentle nudge...

I'm off to Barcelona soon...

I've just remembered the museum at Vilanova, not too far from Barcelona. Might be worth making a detour... it's certainly on my "to-do" list next time I'm over.

Edited to add a link showing the variety of stock than can be seen there:

http://www.yelp.com/biz_photos/railway-museum-of-vilanova-vilanova-i-la-geltr%C3%BA?select=QFxcoN6Pb0RTIDXnLg8r_Q&userid=0_pYTNf90AKN0MoxPFXc4Q

post-17811-0-94076600-1439275924.jpg

This file is licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution-Share Alike 3.0 Unported license

post-17811-0-28233600-1439275933.jpg

This file is licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution-Share Alike 3.0 Unported license

Interesting stuff

I'm just about to head to Alicante, for my annual pilgrimage to the inlaws ( pilGRIMage ) near mazarron.

We often get the train to Murcia or the other way towards Lorca. At Lorca there is still a siding with some freight vans, I wonder if it's still used ?

We go past the freight yard on the western end of Murcia, but never seen such there.

I'm just about to head to Alicante, for my annual pilgrimage to the inlaws ( pilGRIMage ) near mazarron.

:biggrin_mini2: Just fix your best smile and enjoy the weather! If you happen to stumble across anything even remotely rail-related, take some pics.

I still haven't got the Peco Code 55 laid which is a bit of a pain as the first loco dropped onto the doormat from sunny Spain this morning. Rather nice it is too. The level of detail for N gauge never ceases to amaze me... It's in the Integria livery, not the Mercancias livery that I was expecting but it makes not a blind bit of difference to me. Itching to run it in, so must get that track laid! It will look a little lonely running around on it's own, so I need to get hold of some wagons.

post-17811-0-69312500-1439301994.jpg

post-17811-0-73160400-1439301995.jpg

The reason the track isn't laid yet is simply because I realised I needed to get the storm drain completed scenically. Once the rail bridge was in place and track laid, sorting out the gully would have been a bit tricky... I've gone for a manky slab concrete finish to the side walls. The storm drain surface itself which is also used for vehicle access to the beach proved tricky. What you see is Mk3. Originally I just used plain styrene sheet. Didn't like that. Then I used a timber boardwalk surface. Didn't like that either... Mk3 is embossed styrene sheet with fine "V" grooves. I thought it looked like a utility concrete "non-slip" surface. Still needs a little weathering but not too much. The reason it took so long was the sheer number of different angles and awkward cuts that were needed. The whole storm drain is at an angle to the backscene. The storm drain walls are 15 degrees off vertical and the concrete surface is on a 10 degree slope. A few "mis-cuts" were made and I now have a pile of oddly-angled styrene offcuts...

Getting the track laid and that loco run in is most definitely the next job.

post-17811-0-78980600-1439302323.jpg

post-17811-0-65777900-1439302324.jpg

post-17811-0-47177400-1439302325.jpg

I still haven't got the Peco Code 55 laid which is a bit of a pain as the first loco dropped onto the doormat from sunny Spain this morning. Rather nice it is too. The level of detail for N gauge never ceases to amaze me... It's in the Integria livery, not the Mercancias livery that I was expecting but it makes not a blind bit of difference to me. Itching to run it in, so must get that track laid! It will look a little lonely running around on it's own, so I need to get hold of some wagons.

attachicon.gifcalella_17.jpg

attachicon.gifcalella_18.jpg

Lovely little model...who is the manufacturer?

Lovely little model...who is the manufacturer?

Startrain. I'd never heard of them until I started to get into RENFE locos and stock. A sweet runner, by all acounts, but I guess I'll find that out soon enough. I particularly like the way all their models come with clip-in detailed front ends without the coupler. On a roundy layout like this, that's very handy. Saves looking at the horrendous standard N gauge coupler. A very "boxy" loco... shades of Class 66, methinks...

Got the track in place last night and gave everything a good clean this morning. Below is a (very) short video of the RENFE loco running in. Any "jerkiness" is down to the low-cost digital camera used, not the loco which is, as expected, a very sweet runner. Now that everything's working ok, I should weather the visible track and then find some excuse to put off the ballasting...

Have you seen the Treemendus range of ground materials?

http://www.treemendus-scenics.co.uk/groundwork/

For the beach sand? I'll take a look, thanks.

This Code 55 is odd stuff. I'm too lazy to brush paint the rail sides. In OO with concrete-sleepered track, I'd spray everything with Plastikote Tan (a much better concrete colour than just leaving the sleepers bare plastic) and then I'd mask inbetween the rails and either side of the rails and then spray with Humbrol 29 Dark Earth. I don't know if that will work in N, so I've PVA'ed an offcut of Code 55 to a scrap of MDF and will give it a go. Once the track is weathered, I should make an effort to cut the beach landform to shape. Planning to use a 2 inch sheet of Knauf foil-backed insulation.

I'll take some pictures if I end up with anything worthy of a picture..!

I started a thread on beach sand a few days ago as frankly I don't have a clue how to go about it... however, in the process of roughly adding the path either side of the cable stay bridge (just to see how it looks), it occurs to me that there won't be very much beach! Just a hint of the top end of the beach will have to do. I could bolt on another 6" to the front of the layout but the whole point of this is to have something manageable so that's not really an option.

Looking at the second prototype photo in the post above reminds me that the railway line is lined with palm trees on the beach side, a feature that I definitely want to include. I'll need to thin them out a little as I don't want them to obscure the trains completely. However, I've always seen this as more of a working diorama than a model railway, so having to peer through the palm trees to see a train is quite appealing.

post-17811-0-94254100-1439468197.jpg

post-17811-0-72837000-1439468199.jpg

You might not get much beach on the layout, but you're going to need an awful lot of buildings...

I'll worry about that later. Much later... Mind you, a field trip (purely in the name of photographic research) would no doubt involve beer and tapas. I think I'll need a week at least, if not a month. Hmmm...

Edit: I could fly Ryanair from Luton to Girona next month for £27. Wish I hadn't looked now...

• RMweb Gold

I'll worry about that later. Much later... Mind you, a field trip (purely in the name of photographic research) would no doubt involve beer and tapas. I think I'll need a week at least, if not a month. Hmmm...

Edit: I could fly Ryanair from Luton to Girona next month for £27. Wish I hadn't looked now...

It will cost you more than that to just get to Luton.

• RMweb Premium

I

What about the extras?

Seat

Seat Belt

Coins to open the toilet door

etc. etc. :jester:

Keith

A quick update although the layout's a bit of a foamy mess at the moment. I had planned to use a 2" sheet of Knauf insulation to carve the basic landform but the one sheet I had left over had bowed and it would have been tricky (but not impossible) to bond it to the ply without using loads of weights and pots of PVA. I fell back on my old trick of expanding foam in a can. I have half a case of expanding foam left over from when the new windows were installed at the back of the house. Waste not, want not...

Fully cured, this has been cut back to *roughly* the right shape. Modroc and a couple of thin skims of filler will be added over the next few days to get the shape exactly right and then I can cut a template and get the front and side fascias installed.

post-17811-0-19716700-1439803897.jpg

Whilst at my local secondhand model shop this morning to pick up a couple of Humbrol acrylic sprays, I spotted something small and oddly Continental lurking on a top shelf. Closer inspection revealed them to be a couple of DelPrado/DeAgostini static models, one SNCF and one RENFE. Unopened, at £2 each, I thought them cheap enough to come home with me. Now, when I search ebay for continental N gauge, I usually add "-del -deagostini" to the search box as I'm a little sick and tired of wading through all these static models to get to the good stuff. I've been converted. The paint job's actually really good and I'm surprised by the high level of detail and the fact that the wheels actually turn when removed from the display plinth... What I'm going to do with them, I don't actually know yet, but I like them...

post-17811-0-94180100-1439804206.jpg

You could always come for a 'cerveza' with me and pass some time talking trains...............

Providing I'm out there at the same time.

Brian R

• RMweb Premium

So how many of us on here have ties to Alicante and the surrounding areas then? It would take a miracle of coincidence for us all to be in the area at the same time but an Espana RMWeb social (beer and tapas) sounds good to me.

I am next out there at the start of March (wife just about to give birth, and we reckon that will be the earliest we can fly out).

So how many of us on here have ties to Alicante and the surrounding areas then? It would take a miracle of coincidence for us all to be in the area at the same time but an Espana RMWeb social (beer and tapas) sounds good to me.

I am next out there at the start of March (wife just about to give birth, and we reckon that will be the earliest we can fly out).

What an excellent (if sadly unlikely) idea... Can I do the name badges...?

post-17811-0-92070500-1439819075.jpg

Archived