London Transport Museum S Stock - review

Andy Y

RMweb0038.jpg

Thanks to the London Transport Museum and Bachmann Europe we have chance to show the first in-depth look at the forthcoming S Stock.

The announcement came in June but development has been underway on this project with the support of Bombardier for some time. 

RMweb0001.jpg

Models will be available to the public as follows:

* LT Museum Action depot open day, Sunday Sept 27 ONLY

* From LT Museum Shop in Covent Garden anytime from Friday October 2nd (while stocks last)

* Online from www.ltmuseumshop.co.uk (orders being taken now for late September despatch)

* Mail order by telephone on 020 7565 7265

This review shows the base model pack (35-990: S Stock 4-Car train pack containing cars DM 21088+M1 22088+MS 24087+DM 21087 - £280.00) with additional cars available from the LT museum to make up the full 8-car formation.

From my understanding of the initial quantities to be delivered it may be wise to pre-order a model if you want to make sure you get one - https://www.ltmuseumshop.co.uk/models/s-stock.html

The model is that of the S8 stock which serves the Metropolitan line. The outwardly similar S7 stock has different seating configurations and serves as 7-car units on the Hammersmith, District and Circle lines. With the availability of design information from Bombardier the model certainly captures the look of the units well with simple and clean modern lines. It makes sense that the museum has gone for a contemporary unit which will be identifiable to tourists and have a long lifespan (who knows what liveries may evolve in the future?) rather than any vintage units.

RMweb0002.jpg

RMweb0012.jpg

The paint application and detail printing is exceptionally neat. As merely a casual observer of the Underground I had always assumed the livery was a simple red, white and blue, this was brought into check when I unboxed the model as it is a slightly off-white; checking images and referencing the design work carried out by Bachmann in producing the model shows that LT's definition of the white in the livery is not a pure white (colour reference to follow). The doors are a raised relief in the bodyside moulding, maybe the printing of the black seal at the side of the doors is a little narrower than the prototype appears from some angles but the warning signs on the door can be read if you've got a strong magnifying glass.

RMweb0014.jpg

RMweb0015.jpg

The roof detail on the units themselves is simple and of shallow depth and this has been accurately captured in Bachmann's moulding. The gangways are very close to meeting with the flexible close-coupling system as first used on the Blue Pullman ( an uncoupling tool is provided), a little further work in creating a suitable gangway connector by the modeller could further improve the appearance.

RMweb0003.jpg

RMweb0011.jpg

The real stock is 'open plan' with a wide flexible gangway connection, to represent this in model form would have led to difficulties (and cost) in reflecting a complex arrangement so the structural strength of the model is retained with solid ends. Bearing in mind that a potential large part of the future market for this product is the gift or souvenir buyer as much as the modeller then this does make sense. The enterprising modeller would find it fairly easy to at least open up the plastic ends.

RMweb0032.jpg

RMweb0031.jpg

The accompanying leaflet which gives comprehensive instructions and part listings notes that all bogies have electrical pick-up, this is true of the centre trailers too although there is no electrical connection between vehicles but the provision of the pick-ups will help the modeller to install interior lighting to the passenger areas. To have factory-fitted this would have added significant cost (a difference of around £80 to the RRP) and once again bearing in mind the market for this product it is left to the modeller to undertake this work if they wish.

As is seen in the first and last images in this post directional lighting is provided, the lit destination panel is certainly the best I've seen on a UK model, it's subtle in reality but a great feature.

A 21-pin socket decoder is easily accessed by unscrewing the underframe panel on the driving cars, as there is no electrical connection it will be necessary to fit two decoders or create your own wiring connections between the motor bogies. The centre trailers simply unclip from the chassis and each of the driving trailers has three easily-accessible screws to release the body. Once inside the model it's clear to see the low floor height of this model, only intruded by a capacitor, which is one of its exceptional features. There is provision for a DCC sound speaker to be fitted by removing the partially cut circular seating section and appropriately positioned holes beneath the underframe.

RMweb0025.jpg

RMweb0028.jpg

Removing the seat and floor moulding shows us how the low floor height has been achieved with the circuit board sitting over the motor and brass flywheel which drives the motor bogie via a cardan shaft. Hopefully this is a drive solution which we may see more of in the future in appropriate models.

There is no provision for coupling of the unit, the prototype is an eight-car train created by using further centre cars which as previously mentioned are available to order. The centre section of the 'buffer beam' is removable though by an accessible screw which means that a modeller could rig up some form of cranked coupling to run with barrier vehicles to portray a working for delivery or service off the LT network.

RMweb0021.jpg

RMweb0029.jpg

The performance is smooth and very quiet but in recognition that the modeller who may create a full 8-car formation and have steep gradients which do appear on the LT network a pair of axles with traction tyres (fit one to each motor bogie) is provided for the modeller.

It's a good model and a brave commitment from the LT museum to produce the UK's first high detail RTR underground stock. Hopefully if it sells well we could see further commitments to future models to reflect the current or even historic trains of the world's oldest and third largest rapid transport network.

A further look at the model will be in September's BRM with Ben providing more background information with more images.

RMweb0035.jpg

I've had a close look at the one in the Covent Garden cabinet a few times, it certainly is a cracking model. I'm in close contact with these units nearly every day at work, and really would like a set, but can't justify it sadly.

OT information? In the early days of testing the 1st units, a software upgrade was done by the makers overnight. The next day a train was sent to from Neasden to Uxbridge, and a second one was following it. Upon reversal, the 1st one could not get enough power to climb the incline out of Uxbridge. This screwed the service up with a line closure (with no doubt a very heavy fine imposed upon Bombadier). The 2nd train was coupled to the 1st one to assist it, making it probably the only time of running one this long on LU metals. I was in Rayners Lane box at the time, and eagerly awaited its passing for a photo. Alas it was not to be. The pair could still not make it up the incline so were uncoupled, and ran singly back to Neasden. I don't know how they managed the climb however, but the 1st one passed Rayners Lane at walking pace. Apparently it was the software upgrade that caused the problem.

Stewart

Andy, I love the way you've started the piece with headlights and finished with tail lights,

The model looks very well thought out, in particular the provision for a speaker and the lighting pick ups. I'm looking forward even more now to my eight-car set.

Stewart, your tale adds depth and interest to the model. (I bet Windows 8 was in there somewhere.) Thank you.

A 21-pin socket decoder is easily accessed by unscrewing the underframe panel on the driving cars, as there is no electrical connection it will be necessary to fit two decoders or create your own wiring connections between the motor bogies.

I don't quite understand this section or I might of missed something. Are the two powered units not wired together for DCC? Are those pin couplings dummies?

The idea of buying two decoders is a bit discomforting, especially because I'm looking to have sound included as well. It would mean buying twice as many expensive Loksound chips. It also means that if you do install two decoders, you would have to run the entire train as a consist.

I could create my own wiring connections, but this removes the idea of it being DCC Ready? And because I bought the whole 8 car set, it would mean twice as much work feeding wires through.

I couldn't see any close-ups of the cardan shaft and motor, but from what I observed, it looks like the motor only powers one bogie.

One of the biggest challenges with modelling London Underground is supplying sufficient power for one unit. If 2 out of 16 bogies are powered, those axle gears and motors will have their work cut out. I would recommend putting traction tires later, that way if it means that the wheels are slipping, you know that there is insufficient power and your axle gears won't split.

I always use a Power Bogie to carriage ratio of 1:2. I truly believe that the motors should of powered both bogies in this model.

Otherwise, it's a fantastic model, beautifully detailed!

I hoped I'd covered it in the review advising that there's no electrical connection between cars and that two decoders would be needed. I think it's sufficient for the weight of vehicles to just have one powered bogie on the driving cars.

Looks a generally impressive model.

I still hold reservations over the depth of the doors, especially having seen on in the flesh at the LTM Covent Garden Shop. Also, the roof grill detail is a little disappointing. I wouldn't expect etched grills of that size and quantity, but they seem lower qualtiy than on the Class 350. Even Lima's class 47 moulded grills are better than the S-Stock.

Grills and doors aside... nice pice of kit.

I hoped I'd covered it in the review advising that there's no electrical connection between cars and that two decoders would be needed. I think it's sufficient for the weight of vehicles to just have one powered bogie on the driving cars.

When you mentioned there being no electrical connection, I wasn't sure what exactly what you was addressing. But now it makes sense, thanks.

Although! if there's no electrical connection, then why are there electrical connectors (pin couplings) at each trailing end.

I hope your right for the sake of being able to run this train on gradients that there is enough power.

Cheers 

Looking closely at the photos there does not appear to be any electrical connection. Bachmann have re-used the same connecters as for the MPV and Midland Pulman but without the metal prongs hence providing only the mechanical connection.

• RMweb Gold

attachicon.gifpost-6968-0-40356900-1438151287.jpg

The performance is smooth and very quiet but in recognition that the modeller who may create a full 8-car formation and have steep gradients which do appear on the LT network a pair of axles with traction tyres (fit one to each motor bogie) is provided for the modeller.

When you mentioned there being no electrical connection, I wasn't sure what exactly what you was addressing. But now it makes sense, thanks.

Although! if there's no electrical connection, then why are there electrical connectors (pin couplings) at each trailing end.

I hope your right for the sake of being able to run this train on gradients that there is enough power.

Cheers 

Never known a Bachmann loco to struggle on a short train, Does this pic answer the hill climbing question? ;)

• RMweb Premium

It looks like a very good model though I'm afraid not one which interests me personally.

Picking up some very minor points the camera might have blown up into cruelly enlarged focus the destination fitting seems to be a mite less than flush around the edges, the door-open buttons are not centred in the tampo representations and the door safety information panels appear to be very slightly skewed.  Very slightly indeed.

Those are minor and perhaps not noticeable in actual-size normal-distance viewing.

As I understand it the tyre-fitted wheels are additional and can be fitted if so desired rather than being the only ones offered.   There might be layouts where they are of benefit but Bachmann power trains are normally more than adequate to shift a full unit without them.  

Comments here and elsewhere imply early sales have been quite strong so let us hope the initiative is repeated with other well-known but now extinct types.  EFE has the market for 1938/59/62 tube stock but there may yet be a commercial market for A and C stock and I suspect there is mileage in CP / R stock which while trickier because of the many modifications and detail differences would not be an insuperable project if producing a typical train formation.  Q38 then becomes a fairly easy conversion for those interested in that type.

It looks like a very good model though I'm afraid not one which interests me personally.

Picking up some very minor points the camera might have blown up into cruelly enlarged focus the destination fitting seems to be a mite less than flush around the edges, the door-open buttons are not centred in the tampo representations and the door safety information panels appear to be very slightly skewed.  Very slightly indeed.

Those are minor and perhaps not noticeable in actual-size normal-distance viewing.

I can live with those issues (other people may have different views); it's the door mounting that troubles me. A very striking feature on the prototype is how far the doors are mounted above the body sides; there is a very irregular appearance as the train pulls into a platform. I am sure Bachmann would have got the scale difference exactly correct, but on the model the doors now appear almost flush. Is this another instance where what is "correct" on a scale model actually looks wrong?

Paul

I think it is just the black lining in the door surrounds that gives the impression that the doors are flush. If you look at the photo of the upturned body you can see clearly the doors standing proud and the black line is nearly entirely on the door profile, very little on the flat face.

Looking closely at the photos there does not appear to be any electrical connection. Bachmann have re-used the same connecters as for the MPV and Midland Pulman but without the metal prongs hence providing only the mechanical connection.

Yes, I noticed that too. I think they are dummies. I was expecting electrical connections like with the Midland and Brighton Belle Pullman, so I'm very disappointed with the model on that aspect.

I wonder if I can acquire replacement connectors with the prongs so I can feed the wiring through between the carriages so as to prevent them from being permanently attached.

Never known a Bachmann loco to struggle on a short train, Does this pic answer the hill climbing question? ;)

Two power cars might be more than adequate for the basic 4 car set but might be necessary for an 8 car set.

The class 350 struggles on inclines so the extra drive motor and traction tyres will be more than necessary for such a light train

Maybe I am being overcautious. Still, if Bachmann could have made one of the additional 4 cars a power car, I wouldn't mind paying £40 more for it. Still we shall see how the S Stock model will fare at my model railway club's crooked and sloped test tracks (not that they don't know it is).  :agree:

I'm so glad I'm a member of the OO Flat Earth Society :)

I imagine that there's very little affiliation with LURS. ;)

.................it's the door mounting that troubles me. A very striking feature on the prototype is how far the doors are mounted above the body sides; there is a very irregular appearance as the train pulls into a platform. I am sure Bachmann would have got the scale difference exactly correct, but on the model the doors now appear almost flush. Is this another instance where what is "correct" on a scale model actually looks wrong?

Paul

I think it is just the black lining in the door surrounds that gives the impression that the doors are flush. If you look at the photo of the upturned body you can see clearly the doors standing proud and the black line is nearly entirely on the door profile, very little on the flat face.

I suspect that the doors on the real thing cast a proper shadow and this exaggerates the effect to some extent. We are talking 3 inches to the milimetre here and we know how well sheet metal scales down.

Sometimes a particular feature of a prototype stands out to the point that there is a risk of creating a caricature if we were to replicate our own perceptions.

Anyway, if at least one person brings a tape measure with them on the 27th September, they can pass the message down the train 

RP

I don't know if it's a trick of the light but looking closer at the Andy Ys images, particularly the ones showing the inner end connection and the upturned body shell, it appears to my eyes that the black strip around the doors doesn't quite touch the body sides. close but not quite. is this true, and it's reasonable to assume the limits of printing are at play here, then it may be that there is a bit more depth to the profile than it appears. A little tickle with a steady hand may well make a difference.

Further my thought on shadows; may I also suggest that the gap above the windows where the doors slide open are much more visible when viewed at platform level on the real thing than they are at most angles on the model as this feature is a dark shadowy recess.

It will be very interesting to see how a bit of subtle weathering in the nooks and crannies brings about the detail on these models.

RP

Is this another instance where what is "correct" on a scale model actually looks wrong?

I think you're partially right, it doesn't look as pronounced as expected particularly looking down the length of the train. As noted in the review I think the black seal line is a touch under width and it would be difficult to print it onto the edge of the door protrusion (which is what makes it stand out in pictures along the length of a real train) and maintain a crisp edge in the angle between the door protrusion and the bodyside. It's not offensive when looking at the model with good eyesight, even close up, and readers should bear in mind they're looking at images of the model with substantial magnification.

• RMweb Gold

The biggest problem with this model is that its the wrong scale. If it were N scale i would have a few being hauled by pairs of class 20's either end. :sungum:

Otherwise, it looks a superb model and look forward ot seeing more LT layouts about.

I was holding off ordering as I have also paid for a holiday for my wife's and my 30th anniversary in September, right around when the models are due. However, thanks to Andy's review, I have now sprung the credit card for a six car set, which is the length I have designed my loops to take.

So, I'm now much poorer for a while ... I'll blame Andy for forcing me to buy one! Watch out for the wife's rolling pin, Andy! :P  :jester:

• RMweb Premium

I have now sprung the credit card for a six car set, which is the length I have designed my loops to take.

Ooohhhhh - a 6S.  How very appropriate for an "SRman" ;)

Archived