The solution to " what do I build next to justify me having kept all my stock from previous layout builds,"

I had considered stone terminal, concrete plant, and a roundy roundy,

But I still have a collection of network rail test train stock, lots of infrastructure stock, that is just sat on the wall in the spare room,

Last week I saw chris nevards images of his new narrow and box like base boards, from MDF, and knowing how awkward getting Vopak out the loft has been, a new thinner layout is desirable.

So based on the attached image of an American themed shunting puzzle, I have come up with my next project.

Titled Elliot Rail, ( after my boy). The basic idea is an outsourced supplier of rolling stock repairs based in an old steam shed, with modernised buildings also on site. Loosely based on the idea of Barry shed, when it repaired the MGR wagons on the Aberthaw power station circuit. And subsequently used by other companies Including more recently Colas.

post-9901-0-58895000-1447516554_thumb.jpg

I have designed a track plan based on peco med rad points, with a board size of 2550 x 350

Made up of three 850x 350 units.

These will be constructed as boxes with a 100mm thick base frame with 12mm surface, and a backscene extending 300 up to the top of the box, with a 100 mm pelmet running across the front.

Again this will be displayed at eye level.

post-9901-0-76096100-1447516852_thumb.jpg

The idea has sheds at each end of the layout, with the likes of heavy lifting over head gantries, a wheel lathe, pits,

A running shed, and general maintenance shed being the focus for the movement of the stock around the layout.

Carriage siding steel walkway platforms will be evident. Not sure on the backscene building yet.

Siding length is determined by the max length of one element of my HOBC machine and a shunter, so around 450-480 mm with a run round a little longer,

The layout will be DCC but there will be no point motors, and I may well use Insul frog points as I have a number left from a job lot bought some time ago.

I am having a stay alive capacitor installed in my 08 as we speak for vopak, so this will be the standard motive power for the layout, and hopefully will justify the Insul frog points.

It's good to fiddle with it......

Reduce the length of both head shunts to restrict movement and shorten over all length to 2100.

Likewise build in a fiddle track behind the backscene building.

Does nt matter that the base boards are odd lengths as they are not supposed to stack.post-9901-0-41343000-1447522151_thumb.jpg

Yippee, I have six of the seven points, just the X crossings and a LH point to buy, still got three boxs of code 100 flex track to use up mind,

Designed the baseboards and framework, so I will canvas some builders this week, chris Nevard had some built recently in MDF similar to those I built for Ranelagh bridge, but his were laser cut and appear far more rigid, so, he's the next port of call.post-9901-0-37899400-1447588088_thumb.jpg

The solution to " what do I build next to justify me having kept all my stock from previous layout builds,"

I had considered stone terminal, concrete plant, and a roundy roundy,

But I still have a collection of network rail test train stock, lots of infrastructure stock, that is just sat on the wall in the spare room,

Last week I saw chris nevards images of his new narrow and box like base boards, from MDF, and knowing how awkward getting Vopak out the loft has been, a new thinner layout is desirable.

So based on the attached image of an American themed shunting puzzle, I have come up with my next project.

Titled Elliot Rail, ( after my boy). The basic idea is an outsourced supplier of rolling stock repairs based in an old steam shed, with modernised buildings also on site. Loosely based on the idea of Barry shed, when it repaired the MGR wagons on the Aberthaw power station circuit. And subsequently used by other companies Including more recently Colas.

image.jpg

I have designed a track plan based on peco med rad points, with a board size of 2550 x 350

Made up of three 850x 350 units.

These will be constructed as boxes with a 100mm thick base frame with 12mm surface, and a backscene extending 300 up to the top of the box, with a 100 mm pelmet running across the front.

Again this will be displayed at eye level.

image.jpg

You could have a mainline alongside with Arriva 150's and model it on the old Powell Dyffryn wagon works, that would give you a very steep bank and wall behind with two road bridges each end - Maindy bridge and parkfield place bridge.

The stock has been set aside since pre Parcel Point, With nowhere to run it, and since "train Crap" is not allowed into the normal living space at home, it never gets seen.

To muster some help and show off the stock I I had to drag Steve watts into the house screaming yesterday and subjected him to an intense half hour of grooming. He is now on board for the cardiff small layout show. 23rd January.

The sidings are long enough for two bogie wagons or a coach and a shunter, just.

The next few images are of the stock for the layout, but they have been on some of the previous threads too.

Self propelling cranespost-9901-0-72648300-1447590427_thumb.jpg

Pair of war wells based on a Model Rail article from a few years back.post-9901-0-20512800-1447590455_thumb.jpg

A barrier wagon and part of the HOBC trainpost-9901-0-77314400-1447590472_thumb.jpg

The self discharge stone train post-9901-0-99347300-1447590484_thumb.jpg

The structure gauging trainpost-9901-0-74472900-1447590497_thumb.jpg

The HOBC unitpost-9901-0-06026200-1447590524_thumb.jpg

A heavily graffiti unit on way to NRM for restoration.post-9901-0-60193600-1447590541_thumb.jpg

• RMweb Premium

Yippee, I have six of the seven points, just the X crossings and a LH point to buy, still got three boxs of code 100 flex track to use up mind,

If you have 3 boxes of plain track to use, you might need to add a short extension!

Complete change on the base board design.

Seeing it laid out on the trestles, it isn't that cumbersome so I don't think three separate boards is justified.

So I'm going to make it from a single sheet of 12mm ply ( which I have in stock in the garage.) for the board resting on tried and tested 2"X1" PSE. Screwed and glued. Which I picked up today from TP. £6.20

I have approached my pal simon Mac. For some old peco point motors and a CDU. I have an HandM duette which will temp. Provide the AC current.

The mimic board will sit on the fascia of the pelmet, scenery next.

New base board commissioned from my buddy "Wattsy"

Those who have read previous threads will know he has access to the laser cutter as well.

Images later of our latest scenic detailing.

Peco point motors and CDU are being dropped off by macko tomorow, that's a real saving.

Hopefully see readers at the thornbury show this weekend, I'm there with my brother, we,re taking Vopak.

Collected my EWS 08 back from Peter at Lord & Butler today, had stay alive fitted, runs like a dream

So let's hope for a gremlin free weekend.

Base board built and the point motor parts set aside for a weekend of tinkering.

Sundeala board ready to be glued DOW.

Ordered the Gaugemaster foam and ballast underlay,

Buildings to be roughed out next.

Want to create a convincing hard stand across the frontage of the layout, across the points, I had difficulty achieving this previously, but, I've been directed toward a shape ways 3D plastic print of a template that overlays a standard medium peco point.

As part of the scene, as a wagon repair facility, I want to include a prefab steel shed similar to the one at Margam Knuckle yard.

Note the hardstanding inlaid to the track, which is what I'm striving for.

post-9901-0-85428700-1448745134_thumb.jpg

post-9901-0-16888200-1448745217.jpg

Thumbing through David Ratcliffe's "private owner wagons" I came across this image of

Jake Rail Tank Cleaning Services, near Ellesmere Port, where, funnily enough they cleaned tank wagons,, and latterly PCAs,

The longest siding being a mere 216' long, again the hard standing and pre fab steel buildings. Security fencing, gates, and overgrowth, all the stuff I like.post-9901-0-40476700-1448749050.jpg

Archived