Sutton's Locomotive Works - Other Liveries

Tony Walker

Now we have got something that's worth talking about with the new class 24 from Sutton's Locomotive Works, if this initial batch of green and blue liveried models proves successful, what do people want to see next as far as liveries go? I don't model the 1960's, but it would be interesting to here what people would like to see and if there are any "special" liveries or variants on the class 24 that would prove popular and increase the range for Phil, without going to a great deal of expense. Tony.

Big Jim, That would be a turnaround for the books, as Rail Express did that livery many years ago and probably under Phil's guidance then! But what a great idea, it would be good to replace my old Bachmann version with a new and much improved version of the class 24. Tony.

If I'm to replace my fleet of disc headcode 24/1s, then four GSYP, one TTGSYP and one BFYE will do it.  

And as for Highland Baby Sulzers, two GSYP, two BFYE, please.

Only slight problem being the expense of ten locos.  Maybe I have reached the watershed, and my Bachmann fruit machines are here to stay?  £1600 is a significant outlay.

I wouldn't mind the 'standard' green livery on the early style body (as per D5000) with the extra side grilles, and no yellow panels. Most of those are suitable for the Southern Region in the late '50s and early '60s.

I'm still considering trying to get D5000 but I always thought that particular one-off livery treatment was deadly dull. BR seem to have agreed with me as all the other class 24s, and many class 25s received what I have referred to as the standard livery.

• RMweb Gold

Early green without yellow panels on a production 24/0 body to replace my Ipswich GE section Bachy locos, but if it turned up with a small yellow panel instead I'd probably jump at it and find the green paint pot.

Martin

How about 24025 in blue and fitted with the split rad grill as fitted to D5000-D5005

I think a few others got them too later in life as replacements

5025 is in fact 5005 in disguise, BR having body swapped the two whilst in Derby works in 1969. See this link to Derby Sulzer site. http://www.derbysulzers.com/24025.html

Could easily be done from the D5000 version as it has the right number of grills, although it did look as though it lost one of the "split grills". Needs to be in blue though.

Paul J.

Edited after spotting silly spelling mistake after posting.

• RMweb Gold

Green with full yellow ends for me, a livery carried by a significant proportion of the class. A typical complaint of other manufacturers is that there are too many one-off liveries produced, whilst the bread and butter is ignored. Hopefully SLW won't be going down that route.

If I'm to replace my fleet of disc headcode 24/1s, then four GSYP, one TTGSYP and one BFYE will do it.  

And as for Highland Baby Sulzers, two GSYP, two BFYE, please.

Only slight problem being the expense of ten locos.  Maybe I have reached the watershed, and my Bachmann fruit machines are here to stay?  £1600 is a significant outlay.

....ask him if he has washing up which he needs doing.

Dave

• RMweb Premium

Ah, class 24 liveries and variations

What I would like are the following.

D5001-5 with bar across radiator grille, green small panel (LMR style, rounded top corners)

A ER Small panel, thin green line between the bottom of the panel and the duck egg blue lining,  green.

A NER Small panel to the bottom of the lining band, green.

A LMR Small panel, with rounded corners top and bottom, green.

Mid sixties small panel green repaint (square panel)

Two tone green, small panel.

Headcode box fitted, green LMR small panel to lining band

Headcode box fitted, replacement class 25 cab roof, without horns, green, LMR style panel.

D5018, green small panel, with its odd number of grilles. One side had the additional grille found on many of the pilot locos and the side other didn't.

I have also put in a request to my bank for a massive loan to buy the above, at 0% interest and doesn't have to be paid back for many years.

• RMweb Premium

I'd be pleased just to have one to P4 to rub shoulders with my W&M railbus and CL15 on my little shunting plank, (especially as 4mm is not my main modelling scale these days), in a livery and condition suitable for those sheded at Ipswich in the early 1960's. However, I'm now so confused as to what this should be, with all the apparent disagreements over grills etc let alone livery choices, considering the basic cost this is likely to remain just a wish.

Izzy

Surprised at a seperate thread for this when I'd have thought the original thread would be a good place to discuss this rather than the arguement that is going on in there at the mo but...

For me, surmising they will also do the later body with extra body side grills, a two tone green, standard green with small yellow warning panel and a different blue one all with numbers of non-famous ones that often get overlooked by manufacturers (I'd personally like D5113 in blue but thats just so i didn't have to renumber one :) ). I'd also like to replace my Bachmann "Experiment" but it has been produced a few times so maybe one more is too much??? I'd still like it though but i'd prefer other standard locos first.

If production moved on to headcode box versions then i'd love Highland headlight versions (which Bachmann seem to have avoided with their chosen 24/1s) both in green with small yellow and blue full yellow

As for weathered... looking at most factory weathering i'd prefer them unweathered so its easier to renumber and then I could do the weathering how I like it myself but that is just a personal preference and I know others don't mind factory weathered machines :)

• RMweb Gold

I'd be in for a pair of Tyne Dockers, GSYP.

If and when a 24/1 is done, 2 with headcode boxes, one each GSYP and BFYP. All P4, all export orders, please!

Meanwhile, eBay beckons, to start clearing space and raising funds..

Archived