Oxford Rail announces - OO gauge 4-plank wagons

MGR Hooper!

But the real wagon no longer exists, and was 76.2 times the size of the 4mm drawing, which is why I use a photo. Otherwise it wouldn't fit on my desk, which would probably collapse under the weight anyway :jester:.

Sorry John, I forgot that all important word 'book'....!! :D

Edited by Garethp8873

Following on from my disappointment with Oxford Rail's LNER Cattle wagon, I was rather nervous over their North British Railway 4 Plank wagon. Today however my worries have completely evaporated following me receiving my 4 Plank from the AGR Model Railway Store in Leighton Buzzard.

As I said previously, I felt the comments of a particular person were "rather harsh and abit melodramtic". Today I still stand by those comments as I do not know what wagon he was looking it, but I sure as hell know what I'm looking at. The body represents the prototype very well and everything is where it should as according to the drawing on P.22 of Tatlow's LNER Wagons Vol 3. Length is correct as well (this being my main worry). Only thing that is a minus is the lack of detail on the underframe but then again not many of us are going to be looking at that part of the wagon when it's running on a layout.

post-605-0-05729200-1468080043_thumb.jpg

post-605-0-28125500-1468080068_thumb.jpg

My wagon will eventually be accompanied by another two of these 4 planks and they will be transformed into post and pre-1936 LNER wagon liveries as that is what I model. In the meantime, I've have photographed the wagon with three of it's North British Railway sisters.

post-605-0-32346800-1468080086_thumb.jpg

post-605-0-10692200-1468080122_thumb.jpg

post-605-0-51402500-1468080148_thumb.jpg

post-605-0-70415200-1468080159_thumb.jpg

• Like 11

R. Taylor & Sons Ltd, Dundee liveried 4 Plank wagons have now arrived with Hattons :) Look nice but I'll need to know whether this livery was applied to the NB 4 Planks in reality before deciding on whether to purchase it or not...

• 2 weeks later...

Not having any information on the NB Rly (and not finding anything relative on the North British Railway Study Group's web site),

when did the large NB livery on the wagon come into being?  Presumably after the Jubilee wagons were first built.
Further, wagon sheets, I see C&L do a 7mm version here, near the bottom of the page, and in view of the large lettering, I wonder if there was a more discrete version before this.

Why?  I'm thinking of covering a 'load' in the NB wagon, as it saunters down the Central Wales Line. 

Edited by Penlan

Well my first problem is the distance between the axle guards for wheels.

My EM Gibson wheels sets are 16.4mm b/b (should be 16.5mm minimum).

Across the outside face the wheels are 21.10mm (thus should be 21.20mm at 16.5mm b/b). 

The distance between the axle guard faces is 21.47mm.

OK, yes there is just room, but the Gibson axles are 25.91mm (26mm ?) long and 1.98mm dia.,

Oxford's are 24.84mm long and 1.96mm dia.,

Swopped wheels on the axles and super-glued the Gibson wheels onto the Oxford axles.

Well, it's not freewheeling, there's not a lot of room,

the brakes may just be touching, but at least the axle guards aren't splayed outwards..  
I suppose it could be a 'friction' wagon, help the rest of the stock (consist?) to form a train with taught couplings.

But with P4, the axleguards etc., will have to come off, at least detailed axlebox faces can be installed then.

Well my first problem is the distance between the axle guards for wheels.

My EM Gibson wheels sets are 16.4mm b/b (should be 16.5mm minimum).

Across the outside face the wheels are 21.10mm (thus should be 21.20mm at 16.5mm b/b). 

The distance between the axle guard faces is 21.47mm.

OK, yes there is just room, but the Gibson axles are 25.91mm (26mm ?) long and 1.98mm dia.,

Oxford's are 24.84mm long and 1.96mm dia.,

Swopped wheels on the axles and super-glued the Gibson wheels onto the Oxford axles.

Well, it's not freewheeling, there's not a lot of room,

the brakes may just be touching, but at least the axle guards aren't splayed outwards..  

I suppose it could be a 'friction' wagon, help the rest of the stock (consist?) to form a train with taught couplings.

But with P4, the axleguards etc., will have to come off, at least detailed axlebox faces can be installed then.

Quarryscapes covered converting to EM on the previous page.

Not having any information on the NB Rly (and not finding anything relative on the North British Railway Study Group's web site),

when did the large NB livery on the wagon come into being?  Presumably after the Jubilee wagons were first built.

Further, wagon sheets, I see C&L do a 7mm version here, near the bottom of the page, and in view of the large lettering, I wonder if there was a more discrete version before this.

Why?  I'm thinking of covering a 'load' in the NB wagon, as it saunters down the Central Wales Line. 

Would a coal wagon have been used for other types of load?

Quarryscapes covered converting to EM on the previous page.

Would a coal wagon have been used for other types of load?

So much to read, so little time, my apologies.  Starts Page 4, post #98, I don't know why I missed that.

I missed the fact the chassis element was that easy to remove too, though I was aware there was some steel in between the body floor and the chassis details.  It's the only one I'm buying as I have 3 white metal ones already.

Not unknown for Coal wagons to carry other things, there's a photo I saw some 40+ years ago of PO end door coal wagons being loaded with bark - for the tanning industry - in late Victorian times on the Central Wales Line.

And before anybody ask's again, I know I'm modelling the Central Wales Line and it's unlikely a NB coal wagon would be travelling along it, though at 4pm on Sunday 4th July, 1920, there was :

1 NB open

67 Caladonian opens,

3 Highland opens

19 G&SW opens

7 GN of S opens

at Bristol - Recorded by the RCH during a 'Ownership Analysis' exercise.

But 'Home' is Inverkeilor, so one day, maybe one day, there might be an Inverkeilor plank.

Edited by Penlan
  • Like 2

So much to read, so little time, my apologies.  Starts Page 4, post #98, I don't know why I missed that.

Not unknown for Coal wagons to carry other things, there's a photo I saw some 40+ years ago of PO end door coal wagons being loaded with bark - for the tanning industry - in late Victorian times on the Central Wales Line

I'm still resisting buying one, but the more people who successfully convert it to EM, the more I may weaken!

Looking at the way some tarpaulins were fitted, I think any detail on the wagon body, or even evidence of who owned it, can be superfluous! I've got an O gauge MR wagon that was painted red by the previous owner. I'm thinking of just repainting the bottom of the body, and going carefully round as much of the lettering as I can, then hiding what I mess up under one!

Hi,

These open wagons were more likely to have the round bottomed, parallel sided grease axleboxes I think, the later 'eared' style were oil filled, and when use on new wagons were used for the fitted, or 'higher speed use vehicles.

No connection but 51L?wizard models make them here is a link to them, and also can be seen the casting also have springs.

http://www.wizardmodels.co.uk/images/51lcomp/phtnbrc002.jpg 

As shown on page 5 of this topic where there are a couple of photos.

Yours Peter.

Edited by PeterR

Hi,

These open wagons were more likely to have the round bottomed, parallel sided grease axleboxes I think, the later 'eared' style were oil filled, and when use on new wagons were used for the fitted, or 'higher speed use vehicles.

No connection but 51L?wizard models make them here is a link to them, and also can be seen the casting also have springs.

As shown on page 5 of this topic where there are a couple of photos.

Yours Peter.

This link works properly:

Some doubt was expressed as to NB wagons appearing in England, I have some notes on 3 labels I saw long ago from the 1920's of LNER wagon labels, all from Inverkeilor (twixt Arbroath & Montrose - Family home area).

1. 140 bags of Arron Pilot Potatoes with 4 wagon sheets to Seacroft (Lincs).

2. Undefined quantity Bags of Potatoes to Bradford (Adolphus Street), 3 wagon sheets.

3. - (In a van) 50 sacks of Grain (Barley) to Oswestry.

Not saying thus, pre WW1, the same applies, but I doubt the traffic was much different.

Scottish School holiday when I was a lad, were phased to allow families to go potato picking, and raspberry picking too. 

Happy memories !!!!

• Like 3

To add further to NB wagons operating in England, there's a 1905, dia 65b, cask wagon at Botley, identified by Bill Bedford in this thread  http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/113557-from-a-photo-of-botley-lswr/#entry2389980 
I think this even more unlikely than a standard mineral wagon being seen way down south.

Following on from my disappointment with Oxford Rail's LNER Cattle wagon, I was rather nervous over their North British Railway 4 Plank wagon. Today however my worries have completely evaporated following me receiving my 4 Plank from the AGR Model Railway Store in Leighton Buzzard.

As I said previously, I felt the comments of a particular person were "rather harsh and abit melodramtic". Today I still stand by those comments as I do not know what wagon he was looking it, but I sure as hell know what I'm looking at. The body represents the prototype very well and everything is where it should as according to the drawing on P.22 of Tatlow's LNER Wagons Vol 3. Length is correct as well (this being my main worry). Only thing that is a minus is the lack of detail on the underframe but then again not many of us are going to be looking at that part of the wagon when it's running on a layout.

attachicon.gif13626964_10157190529435002_1120402456710282357_n.jpg

attachicon.gif13592374_10157190530105002_2381302537912368449_n.jpg

My wagon will eventually be accompanied by another two of these 4 planks and they will be transformed into post and pre-1936 LNER wagon liveries as that is what I model. In the meantime, I've have photographed the wagon with three of it's North British Railway sisters.

attachicon.gif13659061_10157190528040002_6528997961034496979_n.jpg

attachicon.gif13620963_10157190528725002_7439117491865515054_n.jpg

attachicon.gif13606449_10157190532295002_2007459257326619606_n.jpg

attachicon.gif13600157_10157190534295002_6085252218501998860_n.jpg

Hi Gareth, you say you've checked it to the drawing, can you confirm the buffer length is correct to the drawing. I do NB buffers in 7mm for a customer and the Oxford buffers look a bit long for a wagon of this type.

Dave Franks.

In the latest GW Journal, page 178, article on ...gas for coaches, there's a NB wagon bottom LH corner, and I think that's a Caledonian wagon in the distance.

Note the strapping on the top plank, inside, for the door catches. Also this view shows just how substantial the end stanchions are.  Granted this is post grouping, though only just at 1924, but I doubt they are still in WW1 common user pooling at this time.

The article also states that in 1904 the GWR used their own 3,000 gal tank wagons to convey the shale oil down from Scotland - In the Glasgow - Edinburgh lowlands region.

post-6979-0-51491300-1470400608.jpg

Edited by Penlan
  • Like 2