So who will be next to show some support for our favourite Norfolk railway?

I already have a couple of former WNR locos on the modern day KLR. The infamous No.3 Peter is a WNR alum, amongst one or two others. Also the heritage WNR and the KLR share a special and are linked together at Telham.

Will need some posters though. Keep in mind however that my KLR layout, while linked by backstory and location, is set in the present day.

She's dropped her ladder, and she shouldn't go window cleaning in that skirt.

https://youtu.be/dG1W1h5W17Y Edited by RedGemAlchemist
  • Like 4

A new poster has gone up at the stations on the Sumwheir District Railway, - my little imaginary 3ft gauge line. Better pictures over on the pre-grouping virtual railway modelling thread.

8MSXj8J.jpg

So who will be next to show some support for our favourite Norfolk railway?

There'll be a poster or two at Cremorne for Pittance.

• Like 5

So it was! Must be an age thing! At least I don't drool (yet)!

Jim

Perhaps this will be useful, in anticipation.....

post-21933-0-61149300-1541528123.jpg

(For all of us, I suspect!)

You can get similar ones with your name on them too!

• Like 1

Gosh just back from 2 weeks away and it is so difficult to re-settle back in  CA !

Where can one re-engage?

So topics are things very small and Mittel Europe

howzabout my 122:1 scale Orient Express boxed set found in a Valletta Malta model shop:

post-21705-0-75052500-1541531248.jpg

price 10 euros - complete with big poster of various period interior views. Loco is a dark green 4-4-4, train is one 6 wheeler with verandah access and a vertically matchboarded bogie coach.

The box carries a ipicture of a Gresley A3

I do like that horse bus model James. One question: how is the interior accessed? Is it via the driver to avoid free-loaders? There does not appear to be a rear door and steps.

dh

• Like 7

• RMweb Premium

I already have a couple of former WNR locos on the modern day KLR. The infamous No.3 Peter is a WNR alum, amongst one or two others. Also the heritage WNR and the KLR share a special and are linked together at Telham.

Will need some posters though. Keep in mind however that my KLR layout, while linked by backstory and location, is set in the present day.

I've never been completely certain what time period the Sumwheir District Railway occupies, but it certainly is before the horrors of dismalisation on the railways of Britain.  However I will say that when it comes to imaginary railways and the 'folds in the map' question, time is of neither consequence or concern.  Once imagination is shackled by time it becomes a sad little thing and swiftly forgets how to fly.  So this why the SDR can have Castle Aching posters on their station and why the folk of the Sumwheir District can take the train to Ponder and the interchange with an unspecified mainline railway company (UMRC) and travel onto Castle Aching without any concern as to time and place.  With the aid of one's imagination the map unfolds and all is revealed.  Time becomes an entirely pliable thing like a Salvador Dali watch and one can go whenever one wants to.

Edited by Annie
  • Like 7

Gosh just back from 2 weeks away and it is so difficult to re-settle back in  CA !

Where can one re-engage?

So topics are things very small and Mittel Europe

howzabout my 122:1 scale Orient Express boxed set found in a Valletta Malta model shop:

attachicon.gifMalta orient exp.jpg

price 10 euros - complete with big poster of various period interior views. Loco is a dark green 4-4-4, train is one 6 wheeler with verandah access and a vertically matchboarded bogie coach.

The box carries a ipicture of a Gresley A3

I do like that horse bus model James. One question: how is the interior accessed? Is it via the driver to avoid free-loaders? There does not appear to be a rear door and steps.

dh

Love your little train, David

There is a rear door to the horse 'bus, but the steps were one of the missing components(!)

You can get similar ones with your name on them too!

That one has already got James on it, several times, though if the name was printed upside down I would be able to read it by turning the bottom up (in the manner of a nurse's watch) for those times when I forget what it is!

Jim (I think)

Getting back to Castle Aching.....

As it were!

Those Castle Aching posters certainly had a wide circulation.  A roll of them was even found in the ticket office at Midsomer Brevis (the country terminus of the Midsomer Light Railway) and one was put on the ticket office notice board to give a "period" feel.

post-21933-0-58915500-1541589427.jpg

Of course, the MLR is contemporaneous with Castle Aching in the sense that the line was built in the early 1900s and both motive power and rolling stock date from then.  The preservation society is making great strides to put the line back into use (You may have seen some of their activity in the Cakebox Challenge) and hope to have a summer weekend service running for the 1962 season.

As it won't now seem like canvassing for votes (Ugh, how common!) here's a link to the Cakebox entry

https://www.world-of-railways.co.uk/brm/information/brm-cake-box-challenge-under-way

Edited by Hroth
  • Like 8

That fellow's looking a little jaundiced.

He's fallen through a wormhole in time and doesn't know Who he is yet.......

You will also notice his boots are glued to a bit of board - its going to be interesting when he decides to move on!

• Like 1

But if you want to understand The Ring I recommend Anna Russell.

But if you want to understand Wagner, if that's possible, try the movie Wagner with Richard Burton, from around 1973. Appropriately, its about seven hours long! Well worth watching though.

Dana

(And yes, I am late with this)

• Like 3

The Yeomanry went to war as volunteers. A good many men never came back, and, I suspect, very few of the horses. Of all branches of the services they are perhaps the dearest to me due to my decade of peace-time volunteer service. Veterans of the Boer War in many cases, the Yeomanry spent the next decade of evenings, weekends and annual camps preparing for the next occasion when they would be needed.

That we have the luxury today of debating whether acts of National Remembrance should continue 100 years after the end of the Great War is due to sacrifices made on a scale that we cannot adequately comprehend. I know which side of that debate I am on.    

post-25673-0-39301100-1541922761_thumb.jpg

post-25673-0-59385600-1541924170_thumb.jpg

Edited by Edwardian
  • Like 12

I still have our three "commemorative plaques" for members of our family who fell in the Great War, along with their service medals and one of their Princess Mary Christmas gift tins.  I do know that my maternal grandmother was bitterly distressed by the loss of her brothers to the end of her life.

Acts of National Rembrance are not solely for the incomprehensible numbers who died in both great conflicts of the 20th Century, but also remember those who died or were injured in ways both visible and invisible in conflicts to this day.

Many of those who question this proceed from ignorance or misunderstanding, and can be understood.

Today, I will certainly remember them.

• Like 1

At the time of the independence referendum, I was frustrated that no public figure articulated* what I still think to be the strongest argument in favour of the Union: England's dependence upon Scotland for her leading public figures in many walks of life. In the context of this forum it's enough to mention two Ayrshire families: the Stirlings and the Drummonds. 

*Gordon Brown came closest.

I don't think the Drummonds were a settled Ayrshire family, moving for opportunities in the developing world of railways.  Dugald was born in Ardrossan, but the family were in the Falkirk area when Peter was born.  However from towns on that little stretch of the Firth of Clyde you had (from memory) Dugald, the Stirlings, James Manson, John Lambie, Hugh Smellie and Robert Urie.

• Like 2

I totally agree we should remember the terrible price paid by our forebears, but an elaborate annual jamboree should not be a substitute for real care for those of our surviving military personnel who are suffering from PTSD or the result of injuries. Judging by the total absence of any psychiatric help – and the number of veterans sleeping rough or otherwise falling through Society's safety net – a substitute it has become. Perhaps it has always been so. We should pay homage to those shell-shocked teenagers ordered to be shot by their comrades for "cowardice".

Basically, war is a bitch, and our politicians need to be reminded of this from time to time – and especially today.

A little bit of fun, not to be taken too seriously.

It's a little crude, and I'd say that both the scale and the proportions are somewhat out for a pantechnicon in 4mm scale.  Further, we are well into fake wagon livery territory here, as Abels does not seem to have got going until the 1960s.  So this is a promotional piece from the Lledo Days Gone stable. Another anachronism is, of course, to refer to 'Huntingdon, Cambs".  Before rationalising bureaucrats of the 1970s got at our ancient shires, Huntingdon was in Huntingdonshire!

EDIT: I thought I might add a picture to show how this toy looked before I attacked it with a dry brush, and also a picture the figures that come with it.  Owd Bob's gift got me looking with more care at the Days Gone figures. 

I reckon that there were really only two sets that had figures small enough to pass muster in 4mm scale.  One is the horse tram.  The seated figures are repeats of the upper deck passengers from the garden seat omnibus, which are a little large, but perhaps not that obviously so being seated.  You also get a rather poor figure of the tram conductor and a rather good one of a young girl, who could certainly pass for 'Bobby' of the Railway Children. 

Where, then, are Bobby's mother and siblings?  Why, they, for some reason, are in the pantechnicon set.  Leaving aside the odd, and slightly concerning, pairing of a small child playing hoop-and-stick in the road with a vast pantechnicon, you get three of the four most suitable Days Gone figures for your layout. 

Anyone remember if young Peter had a dog?

Well, he does now.

post-25673-0-22469100-1541944903_thumb.jpg

post-25673-0-30792800-1541944979_thumb.jpg

post-25673-0-47097400-1541946688_thumb.jpg

post-25673-0-46327900-1541946762_thumb.jpg

Edited by Edwardian
  • Like 14

I always wondered what scale the Days Gone series were and it seems they were not to any fixed scale but appear to hover around 1:70 or 1:64. Those three figures certainly look good for 1:76 though.

Is the horse bus anything near 1:76th?

post-34294-0-81031600-1541949492.jpg

Edited by Martin S-C
  • Like 4

A little bit of fun, not to be taken too seriously.

It's a little crude, and I'd say that both the scale and the proportions are somewhat out for a pantechnicon in 4mm scale.  Further, we are well into fake wagon livery territory here, as Abels does not seem to have got going until the 1960s.  So this is a promotional piece from the Lledo Days Gone stable. Another anachronism is, of course, to refer to 'Huntingdon, Cambs".  Before rationalising bureaucrats of the 1970s got at our ancient shires, Huntingdon was in Huntingdonshire!

EDIT: I thought I might add a picture to show how this toy looked before I attacked it with a dry brush, and also a picture the figures that come with it.  Owd Bob's gift got me looking with more care at the Days Gone figures. 

I reckon that there were really only two sets that had figures small enough to pass muster in 4mm scale.  One is the horse tram.  The seated figures are repeats of the upper deck passengers from the garden seat omnibus, which are a little large, but perhaps not that obviously so being seated.  You also get a rather poor figure of the tram conductor and a rather good one of a young girl, who could certainly pass for 'Bobby' of the Railway Children. 

Where, then, are Bobby's mother and siblings?  Why, they, for some reason, are in the pantechnicon set.  Leaving aside the odd, and slightly concerning, pairing of a small child playing hoop-and-stick in the road with a vast pantechnicon, you get three of the four most suitable Days Gone figures for your layout. 

Anyone remember if young Peter had a dog?

Well, he does now.

They're better than you'd think!

I like the way the driver of the pantechnicon can control his team by telepathy.  He certainly looks as if he's making an effort...

• Like 1

I always wondered what scale the Days Gone series were and it seems they were not to any fixed scale but appear to hover around 1:70 or 1:64. Those three figures certainly look good for 1:76 though.

Is the horse bus anything near 1:76th?

attachicon.gifLEDO Days Gone horse bus.jpg

Depends on how the driver scales.  If he's anything close to 1:76th then the bus looks about 50% undersized.