Best rolling road for oo gauge

• RMweb Gold

http://bachrus.com is my favourite and can be adapted to multiple gauges should you convert to EM or P4 later on.

HTH

David

I would agree. I have a set of these and am very satisfied with them. However I have to say I haven't owned / tried any others.

I have a Gaugemaster LT testing station with DCC Concepts rolling roads which sit on the two angle aluminium test rails, which is pretty good, but I also have a Marion-Zeller rolling road which is more stable. The Hornby rolling roads are good for airbrushing wheels as they rotate and are relatively cheap to replace

Gaugemaster LT now out of production but occasionally still available on e bay.

Best of the lot as its not only very stable but gives you a current reading for the motor which reassures that everythings ok.

Theres no setting up so tend to use it more plus of course it does have another output for the track so can be used as a normal controller.

A very useful piece of kit and as they now fetch more second hand than when new  makes you wonder why they were discontinued..?

Dave.

post-2371-0-93926200-1472426473_thumb.jpg

post-2371-0-06407700-1472426521_thumb.jpeg

I have been thinking of getting a rolling road as well for running in and testing purposes etc, I have just been looking at the DCC Concepts rolling roads, there seems to be three different types and I am not fully sure which one would be best, given that I am only using Class 37s, a Class 08 and Class 14 which set would you guys recommend?

Thanks for any advice

Michael

I have been thinking of getting a rolling road as well for running in and testing purposes etc, I have just been looking at the DCC Concepts rolling roads, there seems to be three different types and I am not fully sure which one would be best, given that I am only using Class 37s, a Class 08 and Class 14 which set would you guys recommend?

Thanks for any advice

Michael

Michael,

DCCConcepts rolling roads come as a 12-pack of live rollers, a 6-pack of live rollers, and a 6-pack support, (non-powered) roller set. The best value is RRA12 12-pack of powered rollers which enables you to run 2 or 3 locos. in at a time, obviously depending on wheel arrangement.

They come RTR for OO gauge, but have different spacers to enable use with different gauges and are very easy to change over if you wish. They also come with a 3 rail adaptor.

Well recommended, and probably the best value at the moment, see Gaugemaster website or DCCConcepts own.

Cheers from Oz,

Peter C.

http://bachrus.com is my favourite and can be adapted to multiple gauges should you convert to EM or P4 later on.

HTH

David

The ability for these to be used on a wide variety of gauges - I've used them from 8mm gauge right up to 45mm! - makes them so versatile. Quick and easy to adjust. Also as they are available in packs and then with add-ons you can expand the numbers as you go. What I have found is that with a chassis having suspension or flexichas then you do need one set under every axle.

The ability for these to be used on a wide variety of gauges - I've used them from 8mm gauge right up to 45mm! - makes them so versatile. Quick and easy to adjust. Also as they are available in packs and then with add-ons you can expand the numbers as you go. What I have found is that with a chassis having suspension or flexichas then you do need one set under every axle.

My Bachrus, a 50B3, is labelled as suitable for 10.5-23mm gauges, but I bought it because it would also handle 28mm for my 4mm scale broad gauge. Now I'm also into O gauge, I've discovered it will open up to 32mm too. I've only got small O gauge 0-6-0s though, and wouldn't recommend it for anything bigger. When I bought it I had no intention of ever modelling in O gauge, so it's worthwhile considering suitability for gauges and scales you have absolutely no intention of ever modelling in!!

I have a set of these, very impressed.

I wasn't impressed with mine. Well, I was impressed at first, then I was annoyed. The screws they used aren't suitable. There should be captive nuts in the plastic and machine screws. Instead they just used course threaded screws directly into the plastic. Try to snug it up and the screws strip out. It's really better to get a gauge specific rolling road.

• RMweb Gold

Another BIG vote for the DCC concepts Rolling Road from me.

Here's one in use, (with the packaging and some spare blocks for the other gauges), just temporarily plonked on my test track.

post-12815-0-18661800-1472490205_thumb.jpg

I really must see if I can motorise one of these wheel sets, so that I can check for problems on some troublesome trucks. (This 16tonner having been modified by my then 3yr old...)

post-12815-0-39591600-1472490216_thumb.jpg

In this case, it is NOT the loco under test but my home made DC/DCC controller!

post-12815-0-18258200-1472490227_thumb.jpg

The wheelsets slide easily on the rails and allow you to see yawl problems as well.

(I'm not sure how the wheelsets would cope with LIMAs pizza cutter wheels though!)

One advantage, I have used with these wheelsets-on-track rolling roads, is that you can place then on curves and check for "tight spots" in motion when going around left/right hand tight/gentle curves - just use "Set-Track", of the required radius, and turn around to check the other Hand.

Although you can change gauges with these, I would not want to do that more than a couple of times.

(If I did run two scales, then I would buy two packs!)

Apart from the "limited number of times", that the screws can be wound in and out, another quality problem I have had is with one wheel sets bearings being seized solid when they were "over clamped" during manufacture.

(I really must get that replaced...)

Kev.

Archived