THE 'USA' TANKS - WHAT'S NEXT?

dibber25

What should we do next, to follow up our highly successful Sentinel and SR 'USA' tank locomotives.

Well, we've got an idea. In fact, It's a Cunning Plan!

COME TO OUR STAND AT THE WARLEY SHOW AND TALK TO US ABOUT IT.

WE KNOW WHAT WE WANT TO DO, BUT DO YOU WANT IT - THEM - TOO?

It will be another loco, but there's more to it than that. It's a project with bells on!

Don't worry, there's NO pre-ordering, NO crowd-funding NOTHING that will cost you.

Not even a commitment to buy. We'll tell you EXACTLY what we're proposing 

but before we commit to tooling it, we need YOU to tell us that it's something you'd consider buying. (CJL)

• RMweb Gold

What should we do next, to follow up our highly successful Sentinel and SR 'USA' tank locomotives.

It will be another loco, but there's more to it than that. It's a project with bells on!

Don't worry, there's NO pre-ordering, NO crowd-funding NOTHING that will cost you.

but before we commit to tooling it, we need YOU to tell us that it's something you'd consider buying. (CJL)

For those of us who can't make it to Warley might there be somewhere else where we can find out what you have in mind and express our views?

For those of us who can't make it to Warley might there be somewhere else where we can find out what you have in mind and express our views?

I'll certainly see if there's a way we can post something up tomorrow from the show but, if not, we're not rushing into a decision on this so, I'm sure we can arrange for comments through RMweb and our Facebook page over the next couple of weeks. I've even seen a form with tick-boxes on, so we can probably mail out to anyone who doesn't have access to a computer, or come to Warley. It is important to stress that we're only asking for expressions of interest at the moment. The costs of getting a model to market these days are truly eye-watering and the days of even the oft-quoted £100,000 for tooling a loco are long gone. I can tell you it's another small tank loco and I think it's every bit as appealing as the USA. (CJL)

• RMweb Gold

You gave a bit of a clue in the latest Model Rail referring to a cut down Rapido chassis acting as a motor test bed. Um.. diesel-ish chassis and "bells"; GER tram loco?

Butler Henderson has beaten me to it! The J70s had bells and 'Cunning Plan' (almost) rhymes with 'tram'. If it is a J70, then I reckon you have a winner there.

Brian

Wow. Never mind expressions of interest, you can have my money now if you want! This has absolutely no relevance at all to my current project, nor can I imagine it running on my forthcoming loft roundy-roundy. But I've always fancied the idea of modelling the Wisbech and Upwell, so this would make the ideal basis for a small "working diorama" style layout as a relatively quick side-project. 

I'm definitely interested in the BR early emblem version—I'd buy two (with different numbers, of course). Don't HAVE to have the coach.

And to follow up, perhaps a special edition diesel tram from Bachmann based on the 04?

A complete new 04 would be an idea - the current Bachmann tooling is a hacked up 03 with a number of errors readily evident if you try to replace the crude bonnet top handrails and try to arrange the handrail knobs to coincide with panels/vents as per a real one.

The coaches would be nice, but not really essential - passenger traffic on the Wisbech and Upwell ceased in 1927, so you really only need the coaches if you want to model it in pre-grouping guise. And, of course, you don't need the coaches at all if you simply want the loco for a dock-based layout, which is the other big possibility.

On the other hand, what might be interesting would be to model a "what if?" layout based on the assumption that the GER did carry out plans to extend the W&U to Welney and Downham. Had that happened in reality, it's likely that passenger traffic would also have lasted longer, possibly even up to Beeching. So you could make a plausible hypothetical argument for using the coaches behind an early BR version of the loco. 

The coaches would be nice, but not really essential - passenger traffic on the Wisbech and Upwell ceased in 1927, so you really only need the coaches if you want to model it in pre-grouping guise.

Kelvedon & Tollesbury, Titfield Thunderbolt? ;)

I'll certainly see if there's a way we can post something up tomorrow from the show but, if not, we're not rushing into a decision on this so, I'm sure we can arrange for comments through RMweb and our Facebook page over the next couple of weeks. I've even seen a form with tick-boxes on, so we can probably mail out to anyone who doesn't have access to a computer, or come to Warley. It is important to stress that we're only asking for expressions of interest at the moment. The costs of getting a model to market these days are truly eye-watering and the days of even the oft-quoted £100,000 for tooling a loco are long gone. I can tell you it's another small tank loco and I think it's every bit as appealing as the USA. (CJL)

I trust you do realise it is not a decision I, and many others, are able to take to come to Warley or not, illness prevents travel to any shows so it is really vital that efforts are made to determine the appeal of the model outside the usual show rounds in the UK.  I would be very interested in the tram loco indeed.

Who do we contact at the Model Rail site to get a form or simply leave a message perhaps. Email would be preferable as I cannot get to the postbox easily. 

Stephen

Stephen.

• RMweb Gold

Love one!

• RMweb Gold

I think this is even more likely a winner than the USA tanks. It has a cuteness that lends itself to countless freelance branch additions to a conventional prototype model. It also featured in Thomas, so there are further sales to be made on that basis, I'm sure. A good idea. 

Archived