The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

And the next photo will have...(real railway version)

NorthBrit

• RMweb Gold

Not being conversant with the Hornby AcHo range will this do? It's the only french photo I can find in Dad's archive. He was passing through on a pilgrimage to Palestine.

post-14351-0-04644700-1493722033_thumb.jpg

Have we any Belgium locos out there?

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

With the kind of styling only Ian Nairn could love.  CFB2002 departs Luxembourg with an express for Brussels May 2008

rev%20BFL%202002%20Luxembourg%202008_zps

Something next from the Isle of Man please

• Like 2

Resisting the temptation towards the 01s in shed for the isolated breakwater line, here's a boring shot of 40 119 awaiting departure from Holyhead in July 1979.

post-10122-0-47806000-1493745335_thumb.jpg

Staying with islands, the next will be a European island - Mediterranean or North Sea.

• Like 4

Resisting the temptation towards the 01s in shed for the isolated breakwater line, here's a boring shot of 40 119 awaiting departure from Holyhead in July 1979.

PICS4397.jpg

Staying with islands, the next will be a European island - Mediterranean or North Sea.

[Nasal anorak voice] I think you'll find that Holyhead is on Holy Island, not Anglesey [/Nasal anorak voice]

:-);-)

• Like 1

[Nasal anorak voice] I think you'll find that Holyhead is on Holy Island, not Anglesey [/Nasal anorak voice]

To avoid splitting hairs, here's a picture of a diamond drilling rig on the edge of Parys Mountain, ANGLESEY.  There were numerous proposed railway schemes and a line actually constructed between the copper smelting plant and Amlwch Port in the 1830s.  Unfortunately the track had long gone by 1979 when this picture was taken.  Anyway, who said anything about railways?

post-10122-0-40862200-1493754413_thumb.jpg

Right, can we now revert to a European island in the North Sea or Mediterranean?

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Oh dear, I'm getting pedantic now. An extract from this website http://nicwhe8.freehostia.com/d5705/pilot/pilot.html doesn't help as to what Pilot Scheme means.

The well meaning idea that these pilot batches of locomotives would be evaluated and the better performers ordered in bulk, but this idea was soon scrapped (like most of the ensuing locos!), such was the desperation of the British Railways Board for cost efficient diesel power.

In May 1957, 230 locomotives were on order without a single example in service. A reappraisal of the Modernisation Plan was initiated in late 1958 and its implications were that the scheme should be accelerated without delay to gain the promised benefits as soon as possible. This meant the virtual abandonement of the Pilot Scheme and large orders were placed without a single prototype running. 

However, I do believe that the Western Class was among those Pilot schemes, so let me try this.

post-7024-0-41814000-1493759631.jpg

• Like 1

Who cares? IMHO there is no pic of an EE Type 4 that is boring!

ps what's after the pilot scheme loco?

Edited by leopardml2341

Not sure about wizzos, but the ped is definitely pilot scheme.

For the benefit of the UK-based members of the forum, could you possibly translate this into English?

Also, before some pedantic old fa#t jumps in and holds up a yellow card, could we have a definitive ruling as to whether or not Paddington is in the West Country?

• RMweb Gold

Soller train arriving at Bunyola, Mallorca.

attachicon.gifBunyola.jpg

Next, for the oldies amongst us, a Pilot Scheme diesel in the West Country

If this is regarded as a reliable source and I have no reason to doubt it, this is a list of the 'pilot scheme' locos http://www.brdatabase.info/pilot.php . In my view the west country starts somewhere around Wiltshire not W2.

The Westerns didn't appear until 1961, whereas locos in the list above were built between 1957 & 1959. I only know this because I Googled for the dates, which is relatively easy to do.

Edited by phil_sutters

• RMweb Gold

Oh dear, I'm getting pedantic now. An extract from this website http://nicwhe8.freehostia.com/d5705/pilot/pilot.html doesn't help as to what Pilot Scheme means.

The well meaning idea that these pilot batches of locomotives would be evaluated and the better performers ordered in bulk, but this idea was soon scrapped (like most of the ensuing locos!), such was the desperation of the British Railways Board for cost efficient diesel power.

In May 1957, 230 locomotives were on order without a single example in service. A reappraisal of the Modernisation Plan was initiated in late 1958 and its implications were that the scheme should be accelerated without delay to gain the promised benefits as soon as possible. This meant the virtual abandonement of the Pilot Scheme and large orders were placed without a single prototype running. 

However, I do believe that the Western Class was among those Pilot schemes, so let me try this.

attachicon.gif1010 at Paddington_Post.jpg

I believe that 174 locos actually got delivered under the Pilot Scheme. Neither of the locos in the picture would qualify. 

Edit

Beaten to it by Phil, I had just found the same page.

Edited by TheSignalEngineer

• RMweb Gold

For the benefit of the UK-based members of the forum, could you possibly translate this into English?

Also, before some pedantic old fa#t jumps in and holds up a yellow card, could we have a definitive ruling as to whether or not Paddington is in the West Country?

If this is regarded as a reliable source and I have no reason to doubt it, this is a list of the 'pilot scheme' locos http://www.brdatabase.info/pilot.php . In my view the west country starts somewhere around Wiltshire not W2.

The Westerns didn't appear until 1961, whereas locos in the list above were built between 1957 & 1959. I only know this because I Googled for the dates, which is relatively easy to do.

I've always regarded the West Country as being roughly west of a line from Gloucester to Weymouth

• RMweb Gold

I've always regarded the West Country as being roughly west of a line from Gloucester to Weymouth

I have always felt that Wiltshire and Dorset were west country counties. I have never got my head round where Wessex is/was and 'The South' doesn't really seem to have a regional character. It seems to run from Brighton to Southampton and Hampshire and up to the Home Counties. It's all a bit subjective. I am sure that government departments have some definitions, but on the ground people have their own feelings about their area.

• RMweb Gold

I have always felt that Wiltshire and Dorset were west country counties. I have never got my head round where Wessex is/was and 'The South' doesn't really seem to have a regional character. It seems to run from Brighton to Southampton and Hampshire and up to the Home Counties. It's all a bit subjective. I am sure that government departments have some definitions, but on the ground people have their own feelings about their area.

The Government thinks that the 'South West' consists of Cornwall, Devon, Somerset, Dorset, Wiltshire and Gloucestershire. I don't have any idea of how they come to their conclusions, in my own case I live north of part of the North West Region, a couple of miles from Greater Manchester, 6 miles from South Yorkshire and north of some of Yorkshire and Humberside Region, and west of some of the West Midlands Region but as far as they are concerned I am in the East Midlands

It's very subjective but I would tighten up on both of your boundaries.

From the north I always think that the Avon bridge on the M5 is probably the start of the Westcountry although for some reason I don't think of the Weston-s-M/Burnham/Highbridge area as really being a part of it.  Taunton is probably the furthest north that I'd class as true Westcountry.

Similarly, along the south coast I'm not really sure about Weymouth.  Maybe it just about creeps in but I think of it as Wessex rather than Westcountry.  I live some 30 miles or so west of Dorchester/Weymouth - that's about an hour by road on a good day - but the general "feel" of the two areas is very, very different.  I think, perhaps, that Lyme Regis would be an acceptable "border post" but I also think you may have to go even further west to around Exeter - another 25 miles, 30 minutes - before you reach the real Westcountry.

Here is NZR class DB no. 1018 at Tahaipe in February 1987.  Built in 1965 by GM (Canada) as an A1A-A1A 3'6" gauge version of the G8 model, ten of the original seventeen locomotives were rebuilt by Clyde (Australia) as the DBR class.  The remaining unrebuilt locos did not survive long after this picture - final withdrawals taking place in 1989 - and probably explains why 1018 still carried the "old" livery.

attachicon.gifD87032b.jpg

Let's stay in the area - the next photo is of something in, or worked in (and has been repatriated from) an island of Oceania, or the Pacific Rim.

The Db's were rather a noisy beasty and were the predominant power on the Cambridge branch during the seventies and early eighties. We used to live several miles away from the Cambridge yard, but you could hear them quite clearly as they went about shunting.

Db1018 was the class leader, originally Db 1000. Note the yellow cab doors, maybe someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but I understand that these were to signify a modified exhaust in an attempt to quieten them. I do remember it had a "box" on the roof above the exhausts.

Cheers, Les

Edited by Dbr1295

Wizzo = western

Ped = 31

Terms I picked up when I was involved with diesel loco preservation a few years back.

And the Holy Island thing was supposed to be amusing.