Andrew Barclay 14" & 16" 0-4-0ST in OO Gauge

Hattons Dave

Nice "Edge". Whose transfers did you use please ?

Hey there,

The letters are from the Microscale decals Navy style font Alphabet. There are lots of different sizes to use, and I’ve used the middle ones for the loco.

The product code is ac48-0025

Edited by Edge

They didn't. The handbrake standard was ran up through the left hand coal space. Another Andrew Barclay option. A good few Welsh AB's were delivered that way.

p2701089544-4.jpg

P

Thanks for that, I've not seen that particular photie before and just by the by other points to note are the coaming at the bottom of the left hand door to stop the coal falling out, [i've seen a similar photie of No.3 demonstrating that it was a right for the crew getting in and out too] and of course the sacks of coal stacked on the running plate.

Ran my coronation this morning and as it went round bends it clicking, and the motor was really loud. rang Hattons and they said if I send it back they will send a replacement, so I've got it all parcelled up ready to be sent off.

• RMweb Premium

The smaller style of worksplate should be in nickel silver really, as these were cast in aluminium/alloy.

Paul A. 

Hi Paul,

We'll add nickel silver as an option.

You can use the discount code PLATEMYBARCLAY at checkout for £1.50 off a pair of either of our Andrew Barclay works plates styles in 4mm:ft/00 scale.

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

They didn't. The handbrake standard was ran up through the left hand coal space. Another Andrew Barclay option. A good few Welsh AB's were delivered that way.

p2701089544-4.jpg

P

Will you be also reproducing the RCTS markings on this one? Perhaps it could be a future Hattons livery option?

Edited by Captain Kernow

Will you be also reproducing the RCTS markings on this one?

Nah, just the side-skirts once I've figured how to cut the brass sheet accurately - and the bags of nutty slack 

Well this side of the earth is still bereft of the little darings... yesterday here in Melbourne we had our monthly meeting of BRMA... and no one has seen a AB in the flesh!

As I have joked before and was discussing with SRman at the meeting, and in the way home as we tend to carpool, are they to arrive on Monday or Thursday after ANZAC day? Just to annoy every one as we have some extra time available! Only the postie knows and what they are all doing together in the postal distribution centre... here in Melbourne or still stuck in Sydney... time will tell...

Will you be also reproducing the RCTS markings on this one? Perhaps it could be a future Hattons livery option?

Pah! "RCTS" what sort of a name is that?

I decree forthwith all 14" AB's be called...   KEVIN.

post-508-0-61099900-1524349878_thumb.jpg

and like all 14" AB's, Kevin is renowned for having injector troubles. This results in him going to pieces when the pressure is on.

post-508-0-43489800-1524349853_thumb.jpg

P

Edited by Porcy Mane
  • Like 6

attachicon.gifAB-Medalling©PwD-054-EditSM.jpg

and like all 14" AB's, Kevin is renowned for having injector troubles. This results in him going to pieces when the pressure is on.

attachicon.gifAB-Medalling©PwD-003-EditSm.jpg

P

Better you than me, but quite fascinating, especially with the unobscured view of the backhead detail.

I can't help but notice that the rear of Kevin's cab is a bit bowed. Mine is very slightly off - but only if I peer very closely with a jaundiced eye [the one in the middle] and only at one side. Has your dissection offered a possible cause or is it just over tight packaging as has been suggested. For the record my handrails are perfectly straight, so basically no complaints.

Edited by Caledonian

So all 14" ABs are to be 'Kevin'; then I decree all 16" ABs should be christened 'Bob'*.  :jester: 

* To be pronounced the same way Blackadder (Rowan Atkinson) pronounced it.

Edited by SRman
  • Like 1

Can someone help me I am looking for more information on the CPC UK version:

• What did the company use the locomotive for?
  • And what did CPC UK produce? 
Thanks

Samuel.

Barclay 1964/29 worked all its working life at Corn Products (CPC) in Trafford Park, Manchester

Barclay 1964/29 worked all its working life at Corn Products (CPC) in Trafford Park, Manchester

Fascinating.  Back in the 1970s there was a flow of Kelloggs Corn Flakes from Trafford Park to Willesden.   that has to be related doesn't it ?

• Like 1

Fascinating.  Back in the 1970s there was a flow of Kelloggs Corn Flakes from Trafford Park to Willesden.   that has to be related doesn't it ?

No, not at all.  No connection between the two companies, either physically or financially.  I think this has already been answered before hasn't it?

attachicon.gifAB-Medalling©PwD-054-EditSM.jpg

attachicon.gifAB-Medalling©PwD-003-EditSm.jpg

P

That's brave of you. I have no problem with kit and scratchbuilding locos but taking one of these ruddy RTR things apart fills me with dread! I want to take mine apart and cut the top of the cab backsheet out but I daren't. I didn't realise when I ordered it that it has a third window in the middle and I'd rather have it all open than some in-preservation modification.

• Like 1

I didn't realise when I ordered it that it has a third window in the middle and I'd rather have it all open than some in-preservation modification.

Central back sheet windows were yet another "off the shelf" option from Barclays.

p2700928530-4.jpg

Dunstable 19/6/54

http://rcts.zenfolio.com/industrial-and-light/industrial-steam/apcm-ltd-dunstable/hA0FCE612#ha0fce612

Slowly I'm beginning to realise "Standard" Andrew Barclay locomotives were anything but standard.

Can someone help me I am looking for more information on the CPC UK version:

• What did the company use the locomotive for.

Yer kidding us on, aren't you?

19708233183_2ea002b07b_b.jpg76-0242A by Christopher Yapp, on Flickr

• And what did CPC UK produce? 

Originally starch products used in the processing of cotton (Think Cotton & Weaving industries of North West England) branching out into many of the things that can be produced from grain and maize including distilling of pure alcohol etc. to making custard powder. (After the take over of Brown & Polson) As ever Google is your friend.

https://britainfromabove.org.uk/en/image/EPW027983

Hattons CPC loco when the works was being operated under the name "Brown & Polson"

3826690614_ff734676ea_b.jpgAndrew Barclay 1964 Brown and Polson Trafford Park Manchester 28 Nov 1964 by Charlie Verrall, on Flickr

P

Edited by Porcy Mane
  • Like 3

That's brave of you. I have no problem with kit and scratchbuilding locos but taking one of these ruddy RTR things apart fills me with dread! I want to take mine apart and cut the top of the cab backsheet out but I daren't. I didn't realise when I ordered it that it has a third window in the middle and I'd rather have it all open than some in-preservation modification.

As pointed out the third porthole is certainly not a preservation gimmick. One of the reasons why I ordered the Burnley version was precisely because it had that rear cab configuration with the combination of two "long" ports and a central round one as sported by Aberdeen Gas Works No.3

• RMweb Premium

Katie arrived last week , but I’ve just got round to giving her a test run. Very nice . Lovely wee smooth runner . Comparing her with the Peckett , they seem to be pretty evenly matched in terms of slow running speed. I think Katie’s probably got the edge on haulage , but to be honest they are perfectly adaquate for the loads they would reasonably have pulled in real life.

Well done Hattons. Impressed . I hope you go on and bring more models to market

... I didn't realise when I ordered it that it has a third window in the middle and I'd rather have it all open than some in-preservation modification.

Aberdeen Gas Works No.3 sporting triple spectacles at the back 1962 and 1964 respectively.

http://www.gnsra.org.uk/gnsra_gallery_docks.htm

http://www.gnsra.org.uk/gnsra_gallery_docks_gallery2.htm

• Like 1