Peco Bullhead Points: in the flesh

AJ427

Unifrog is more like electro frog with IRJ's and switch rail bonding all done for you.

so does this mean that you only need a point motor if you want to just physically switch the point remotely on a dcc layout ie; you don't need say the old peco polarity/point switch like you did on the electrofrogs? SL10?

so does this mean that you only need a point motor if you want to just physically switch the point remotely on a dcc layout ie; you don't need say the old peco polarity/point switch like you did on the electrofrogs? SL10?

You can, but its better to connect the unifrog wire to a point motor switch to switch the polarity of the unifrog. Without it, it behaves like an insulfrog frog.

Given the potential usefulness of the information and the apparent lack of anything official on Peco's website, I wonder if a dedicated thread on the ins and outs of Unifrog wiring might be worthwhile. Would anyone who has actual experience of the product like to volunteer an idiot's guide topic?

Edited by PatB

Given the potential usefulness of the information and the apparent lack of anything official on Peco's website, I wonder if a dedicated thread on the ins and outs of Unifrog wiring might be worthwhile. Would anyone who has actual experience of the product like to volunteer an idiot's guide topic?

There is a thread here in the Peco Forum discussing Unifrogs

John

Would anyone who has actual experience of the product like to volunteer an idiot's guide topic?

There's a perfectly good idiots guide on the back of the package when you buy a turnout. It tells you everything you need to know.

(click on image to enlarge)

post-11105-0-62523400-1515070761_thumb.jpg

Edited by tender

I hope this is simple and plain, out of the box the unifrog is a dead frog point, with no frog switching like an electrofrog.

The blades and stock rails are bonded and do not switch the frog like an electrofrog.

So you must switch the frog to regain a live frog, via a point motor or manual switch.

If you provide no switching then they are a dead frog type.

So two choices dead or alive.......but the live option now requires a switch.

It is not complicated, just a small change.

Stephen

I've arrived a bit late to this discussion, so please forgive me if anything I say has been mentioned before.

What strikes me about Peco's new points is the non-hinging of the switch blades. This looks so much better that Peco's current switch blade type, which isn't even made of rail but of folded metal sheet. I wonder if Peco intend to update their finescale flatbottom rail points?

A few years back, Peco did announce "extra long" points. These would have been basically of the same geometry as their USA No. 8 points, also having 5' radius but being straight from the frog. However, these have been quietly dropped.

If you want really long (i.e. scale length) points, and don't mind German sleepering, and have deep pockets or very understanding bank managers, have a look at Rolf Weinerts "Mein Gleis" (http://www.mein-gleis.de - only in German). His system uses Peco finescale rail. The come in various sizes, the smallest of which is about the length of Peco long points. They are also designed to match the Peco "six-foot way". Fixed, flexible and kit versions are available, in left, right and Y hands. There are no curved points, and as yet, not three-ways. There is a double slip, but no single as yet.

• Like 1

I have laid a couple of these as a trial, and am delighted with them. They were fitted in to the goods yard and used as supplied as Unifrogs and both roads live. I suspect that when and if I make serious use of them I would feed the frog :scratchhead:  and split the roads but that is for another day...Due to constraints I installed them for manual working, but as they are next where I sit it is not a problem. They were made up on a base of C&L 5mm foam and Copydexed ballast and then finished off with a bead of Copydex and ballast  to match in with what was there. Here are a couple of shots  of the work...

attachicon.gifIMG_0320.JPG

attachicon.gifIMG_0337.JPG

attachicon.gifIMG_0333.JPG

A bit more going in to is here - http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/66265-the-far-north-line/page-36&do=findComment&comment=2999701

Hi Ben,

This bullhead track really moves the needle in terms of realism of r-t-r track. How do you weather your track and what ballast are you using? It looks superb.

David

There are some nice touches on these points. No hinge or pivot point on the switch rails so the rails themselves actually bend. This probably makes the spring on the tie bar necessary so that they don’t spring back or center of their own accord. Also good to see stock and switch rails properly connected by wire.

Mind you, £27? That’ll cost a bit on a complicated layout.

There are some nice touches on these points. No hinge or pivot point on the switch rails so the rails themselves actually bend. This probably makes the spring on the tie bar necessary so that they don’t spring back or center of their own accord. Also good to see stock and switch rails properly connected by wire.

Mind you, £27? That’ll cost a bit on a complicated layout.

I think you pays yer money and you takes yer choice. Can't see any way of getting this level of verisimiltude in RTL elsewhere, for British BH, chaired points, at that price. 

There are some nice touches on these points. No hinge or pivot point on the switch rails so the rails themselves actually bend. This probably makes the spring on the tie bar necessary so that they don’t spring back or center of their own accord. Also good to see stock and switch rails properly connected by wire. Mind you, £27? That’ll cost a bit on a complicated layout.

I think you pays yer money and you takes yer choice. Can't see any way of getting this level of verisimiltude in RTL elsewhere, for British BH, chaired points, at that price.

Yes, but a non-recurring cost. Once bought you have the pleasure of laying it and you're done.....any other items like motors, ballast, wiring you would have been buying anyway. Edited by Jeff Smith

Hi Ben,

This bullhead track really moves the needle in terms of realism of r-t-r track. How do you weather your track and what ballast are you using? It looks superb.

David

Thanks; the sleepers are given a mix of acrylics - chocolate brown, an earthy shade and a grey as a base, both as individual shades and as mixes of the three then drybrushed with the same at random when the base has dried. The rails are done with a carefully hoarded and looked after Humbrol track colour enamel that must be twenty years old at least although they have reintroduced it again. How effective the new paint is I don't know as enamels are not the paints they were.

• RMweb Gold

Yes, but a non-recurring cost. Once bought you have the pleasure of laying it and you're done.....

You also know that you are helping to provide Peco with the funds to invest in bullhead slips, diamond-crossings, etc. smile.gif

Martin.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

New for the Bullhead Range...

That settles things then - no messing about on their part and they're announcing all three at the same time which makes a lot of sense.  The diamond crossing is of no interest to me as it happens but both of the others very definitely are although I suspect we'll be looking at something over £50-60 (or more?) for each of them.

Well done Peco.

Reading the printed text it states that 'plans are in place to produce other components such as a medium radius and curved turnout. We will be listening to your feedback and be guided by the market'.

Well oh ye of little faith it really does appear that they have been doing that already. 2018 is promising to be a very good year on the PW front.

• RMweb Gold

It's worth bearing in mind that it is less than 3 months since the turnouts hit the shops. They must have sold exceptionally well for Peco to be announcing this level of investment so soon afterwards.

I wonder if there is anyone in Devon kicking themselves for not doing this years ago?

Martin.

• Like 5

I don't think Peco would have abandoned the Bullhead concept and written off their investment if the turnouts hadn't sold well. Just a guess, but despite their saying "we will listen to the market with regard to future developments", I think plans to expand the range were in hand long before the first turnout hit the shelf.

This range was always going to expand, whether we liked it or not. It's just a nice financial bonus for them that we do indeed like it!

:yes: