Orchard Road TMD - BR Blue - The Story Continues

mudmagnet

• RMweb Gold

Hi Muddy, Great to see you in Model Rail this month, 2 x mags in 3 months, great stuff mate. All the best, Andy.

Hi Andy - I'm quite chuffed (except there are no steam locos). Always satisfying to have a model featured in the modelling press and brings out to wider audience.

Great article n great pics, especially the full length shot gives you a sense of how it all fits together nice one mate

Thanks Neil. The overall shot is good to show the lights (which are behind the name board) - important I feel for an exhibition layout.

Yeah defiantly, although something I haven't got on deeping, I think the lights on the layout are will give it some atmosphere in a dull lit venue, I may have to consider it though at some point I think I'll know more after Mansfield but my room were the layout lives at the moment isn't greatly lit but but the layout lights make up for it

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold

I have re-erected Orchard Road in the garage today in preparation for it's outing at Taunton at the end of the month. A few little jobs to get done before.

Got a few locos out for a running session - all going well until my son managed to drop one of the locos onto the concrete floor! Thankfully only knocking off one of the sand boxes and a few pipes, plus one of the buffers needs to be touched up where the paint has been scuffed!

Also changed one of the decoders over in one of the 37s to a Lenz - so much better running than the Bachmann one already fitted. Then had a problem with the decoder in the class 50 - ran alright on DC, but nowt on DCC .. much head scratching and thoughts that the chip had blown (was run on the club's DC layout last week and wondered whether the fault on the layout caused a problem), so a new one might be needed. Tried address 03, still nothing. Then tried a couple of other of things on the NCE powercab and seemed to reset the decoder - then working on 03. Finally re-programmed onto the required address and all seems well. Very strange. Don't think that I will be running my DCC fitted stock on the clubs' DC layout anymore .....

Hope to get a few photos taken with weathered stock and bits and pieces in the next couple of weeks.

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Just getting Orchard Road ready for next outing - RMWeb day at Taunton, so took a few photos with the 37's.

Will get packed away in the next couple of days, then get all the other bits and pieces together. Don't want to leave anything behind!

Still have a fault with the decoder in the class 50, so looks like this will be the next one to be changed to a better quality decoder. Quite fancy a sound decoder, but will have to wait a while!

post-7854-0-03072100-1335214461.jpg

post-7854-0-44418700-1335214466.jpg

post-7854-0-11152900-1335214470.jpg

• Like 6

• RMweb Gold

Just getting the final bits and pieces together on Orchard Road ready to take to Taunton RMWeb day on Sunday!

I've added a couple of bits and pieces around the main depot building - photos to follow, plus one more thing that I'm hoping to get made in the next two evenings!

If you come along on Sunday and want to run something, please bring along - must be DCC of course. Any colour of diesel won't offend, well not too much!

• Like 1

Evening Richard,

Looking forward to the RMWeb members day at Taunton tomorrow.

It'll be good to be in convoy with Ray & Darren.

I'll be over at your place bright & early in the morning, I'm aiming for a 07-45 arrival.

Is there anything you need me to bring along?

See you in the morning

Rob

Hi Richard

It was nice to chat to you. Your layout is very nice to see it in the flesh you done some great work there.That 25 did look sad as the only sound loco in your fleet :nono:

Steve

• RMweb Gold

Hi Richard

It was nice to chat to you. Your layout is very nice to see it in the flesh you done some great work there.That 25 did look sad as the only sound loco in your fleet :nono:

Steve

Hi Steve,

It was good to finally meet you today and thanks for your comments! Umm, maybe another sound loco may have to follow later this year ....

Layout unloaded and left in garage ready for packing away properly.

• RMweb Gold

Hi Richard, Did you make the gas cillinders or didi you buy them? if bought who makes them please? still living the pics, great stuff mate.

Hi Andy,

The cylinders are from GEM - a pack of 5 pairs (tall and short) - painted black (Warhammer), the shorter painted red and then the valve caps painted silver.

The frame for the cage is plastic strip, with mesh cut from the Ratio security fencing and then silver cotton used to represent the securing chains (actually looks rather good, quite by luck).

I had a go with trolley, but to be honest not entirely happy, so need to make another one.

Very grateful to see Orchard Road in the flesh Richard. Such a lovely layout I am still overwhelmed by how smooth everything was running for you. I did pop over to say goodbye but you was rather busy :D

You'll be pleased to know the soldering Iron will be out this week its been an inspiration & a breath of fresh air to see models running as intended.

Cheers,

~ Gary

Hi Richard,

Just wanted to say a big thank you for such an enjoyable day yesterday.

It was fascinating to see how quickly Orchard Road was assembled & dismantled.

I've got next year's date penned into my planner, so save a passenger seat for me.

It was great to hook up with Ray & Darren, & to put faces to so many RMWeb names.

See you on Tuesday night.

Cheers buddy

Rob

Hi Richard,

Great to see you again yesterday

and glad to have at last seen Orchard Rd in the flesh

The article was great, as were the photos,

but as I said yesterday

the layout has even more atmosphere when seen at close examination

I like the overall "tone" of the scene - nicely muted,

slightly grotty, dusty & run-down,

but with plenty of greenery & scenery