My/our coach, carriage & wagon scratch building thread

gobbler

Good buy with the book Scott, I've found it incredibly useful in my kit and upgrade builds.

HMRS press fix are good but my issue is that they have to be positioned exactly before applying water.  It can be hard to tell that you're on target through the translucent backing.  If you miss, it is extremely difficult to tease the thing.  I much prefer waterslide since these can be pushed and poked into position after release from the backing.  If you are doing pre grouping, HMRS may be your only choice.

John

As I'm modelling late 50's transition period those angled plates were plated over.

Apart from the numbering the model is as complete as it's going to get unless someone has spotted something glaringly obvious, I just need to number it.

Onwards and upwards now...,,

What to build next?

With the spare pennies I had, I didn't get the transfers, instead I opted to get historic carriages volume 3 Non Passenger coaching stock.

I post a list later of the vehicles I will build, maybe you chaps could vote on what you would like to see being built next?

Had anyone else started a build? Post a pic if you have.....

TTFN

Scott

GER 22' Sundry Van

• RMweb Premium

Hi Scott/ All,

Since you asked to see other projects, here are a couple of mine:

post-1937-0-84556900-1518196581.jpg

A Dia. 20 Sleeper Composite,

post-1937-0-97616500-1518196660.jpg

A couple of Dia. 115 Open Thirds,

post-1937-0-14962600-1518196726.jpg

And a Dia. 138 Sleeper Third.

Keep up the great work, you're an inspiration!

Gaz.

As I'm modelling late 50's transition period those angled plates were plated over.
Apart from the numbering the model is as complete as it's going to get unless someone has spotted something glaringly obvious, I just need to number it.

Onwards and upwards now...,,

What to build next?

With the spare pennies I had, I didn't get the transfers, instead I opted to get historic carriages volume 3 Non Passenger coaching stock.

I post a list later of the vehicles I will build, maybe you chaps could vote on what you would like to see being built next?

Had anyone else started a build? Post a pic if you have.....

TTFN

Scott

• Like 5

• RMweb Premium

Hi Jonathon,

They are laser cut card, from drawings prepared by myself from various sources, i.e. Isinglass, The Historic Carriage drawings series and various Michael Harris publications.

I'm just about to go out for an Indian, but i shall post close-ups tomorrow if you wish.

gaz.

How are those made, Gzman? Laser cutting? They look very neat and consistent. I'd also like to see closeup how you do the lower beading.

• Like 2

I'd be very pleased if you did, Gazman and thank you. My 6 wheeler sides are done through a friend in the same way (and cut by York Modelmaking, I believe).

There are two areas I'm interested in, then: how do you do the upper panelling? (Mine come with an adhesive panel which you peel out to produce the recessed area) and how you do the lower beading (the first couple I did were a real nightmare, until I had the idea of cutting grooves into the side to guide the .5mm rod I use for the beads.

Edited by jwealleans

Be careful when catching your Indian: I'm sure Jonathon's constitution is stronger than mine but even so, posting close-ups is a bit risqué, is it not?

:jester:  :jester:  :jester:

(And yes, of course I know what you mean.  Excess of whimsy - I have just returned from a rather good lunch (not Indian, sadly))

Edited by olivegreen
  • Funny 1

Evenin' All

Since my last post on my Clerestory, I haven't been slackin' honest........

I've been tinkering with updating my airfix/Dapol cattle wagons with regards to the doors, Still toying with the idea of opening the bottom slots out. I've also changed the wheel centres on my parkside dundas cattle wagon, I found that because the wheel centres were too far inboard I was experiencing lock up on the buffers.

post-2873-0-24735000-1518197486_thumb.jpg

I've also found some white metal cast wagon frames I thought I'd do something with. At the top is a loco sand wagon which I need to add some rivet detail to and below a three plank open. I balls'ed up the wagon planks on the open, they run along from end to end, so what could I do?..........hide it up with a tarp!

post-2873-0-42530600-1518197891_thumb.jpg

post-2873-0-90555300-1518197932_thumb.jpg

While I built my first CCT I done these sides

post-2873-0-90751800-1518198033_thumb.jpg

Top : great northern elliptical non-corridor

Middle : Thompson 4 compartment 3rd with guard

Bottom : the other CCT featured on p114/115 of Nick Camplings book

These will be built, however that's just a fraction of what I would like to build.

The full list at the moment is this:-

Thompson 4 compartment 3rd with guard

Thompson 5 compartment 3rd with guard

Thompson four 3rd/two 1st with guard

Thompson full 3rd

Thompson 1st/3rd open with toilet

Thompson 1st/3rd composite

GER corridor brake

GER corridor composite

GER corridor 3rd

Gresley 51ft 1 1/2in full brake (pigeon van)

GER passenger cattle van

GER 6 wheeled CCT

GER 20ft horsebox

LNER extra long CCT

LNER 4 wheeled brake

There's quite a build program here......

This is where you chaps come in......can't quite decide what's next.

What do you think?

Cheers

Scott

• Like 7

One of these beauties:

scv.jpg

Passenger rated, for carrying prize cattle. Mine has been derated and will now run in the Hunt Special on Wickham Market, in use as a Hound Van. I found this and a horsebox, both D & S at a show, superglued together and painted bright blue.

Scott, I think the Gresley 58' non-corridor stock is among the handsomest ever to run in this country. That Milk (or Luggage) van is definitely worth following up on.

milk_van_2_zps594431e6.jpg

Going back to those vents, when were they supposed to be plated over? I ask because I have a selection of pictures from after the war which all show them present.

E63518_small.jpg

All these carriages were supposed to have Westinghouse gear removed as well, but where you can see it, it's still there.

Edited by jwealleans
  • Like 4

• RMweb Gold

It’s a cattle van permitted to run in passenger trains. Usually a longer wheelbase, and with at least through brake pipes, if not automatic brakes.

A drover’s van would, like a horse box, including accommodation for a groom/farmworker/what have you.

Hi Scott/ All,

Since you asked to see other projects, here are a couple of mine:

attachicon.gifLNER Gresley Dia. 20 Sleeper Composite.jpg

A Dia. 20 Sleeper Composite,

attachicon.gifLNER Gresley Dia. 115 Corridor Third.jpg

A couple of Dia. 115 Open Thirds,

attachicon.gifLNER Gresley Dia. 138 Sleeper Third.jpg

And a Dia. 138 Sleeper Third.

Keep up the great work, you're an inspiration!

Gaz.

Nice panelling the windows look really fine too

Scott

Edited by gobbler

One of these beauties:scv.jpgPassenger rated, for carrying prize cattle. Mine has been derated and will now run in the Hunt Special on Wickham Market, in use as a Hound Van. I found this and a horsebox, both D & S at a show, superglued together and painted bright blue.Scott, I think the Gresley 58' non-corridor stock is among the handsomest ever to run in this country. That Milk (or Luggage) van is definitely worth following up on.milk_van_2_zps594431e6.jpgGoing back to those vents, when were they supposed to be plated over? I ask because I have a selection of pictures from after the war which all show them present.E63518_small.jpgAll these carriages were supposed to have Westinghouse gear removed as well, but where you can see it, it's still there.

After your above post, I looked at my pics again, looks like your righ. A revisit to the Clerestory top lights maybe in order and add those angled plates.

Cheers

Scott

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Hi Jonathon,

Sorry for the later than anticipated reply, the weekend kind of got a hold of me!

post-1937-0-36098300-1518359704_thumb.jpg

Here is a (cruel!) close-up of the panelling. It is approximately 0.6mm thich, and isn't quite as noticebly thick when painted.

the roof has just been placed on at the moment.

gaz.

How are those made, Gzman? Laser cutting? They look very neat and consistent. I'd also like to see closeup how you do the lower beading.

• Like 2

Hi Jonathon,

Sorry for the later than anticipated reply, the weekend kind of got a hold of me!

attachicon.gifLNER Gresley Dia. 20 Sleeper Composite Panelling.jpg

Here is a (cruel!) close-up of the panelling. It is approximately 0.6mm thich, and isn't quite as noticebly thick when painted.

the roof has just been placed on at the moment.

gaz.

That's gonna look fantastic with a lick of paint

Keep up the super work

Scott

Not much in the way of what you guys think I should build next.....

So I've plumped for the milk/luggage van, I've made the sides and realised I made a boob!!

Think I can get away with it.......time will tell

post-2873-0-03145000-1518469691_thumb.jpg

Move the window appatures about a bit.... and out with the squadron green. I've added the widow relief in 0.25mm. Once everything is dry, I'll start cutting out the individual windows.

Jonathan......any chance of a picture of the roof as Nicks book doesn't show the detail I'm after.

Cheers

Scott

Edited by gobbler
  • Like 2

Found this pic on't net, but there's no evidence of the roof "vents", also it's one of the vehicles that were later adapted to run with Royal Mail TPO's

post-2873-0-98620600-1518529127.jpg

Could it be that the converted coaches had the top "vents" removed when the off-centre end doors were added?

Edited by gobbler
  • Like 1

Scott - which diagram are you building? There were two - D 310 and D 325, IIRC - and the vent arrangements were different. Mine is a D 325 and I remember looking all over the place for a photo and then finding one in an early Model Rail.

Dan Pinnock did the D310 and I have a set of instructions, so I can look at those if that's the one you've done.

I think the other difference - maybe another, I can't quite recall - was a set of louvres in the bottom corners of each end.

Scott / all,

Really top notch modelling on this thread.

Can I ask if you use Slaters Mek-Pak for overlaying layers of plasticard to produce the sides, or some other product?

I ask as my experience of trying this technique in the past - with various liquid solvents - usually resulted in warping. Or is it just a case of adding lots of weight to keep everything flat and square during the curing process?

Thanks,

Martyn.

Jonathan, didn't realise there were two different diagrams, that wasn't properly explained in Nicks book, although he does say there are some detail differences such as the TPO connectors

Martyn, in my last couple of builds I've been using tamiya extra thin with some good results. I try and keep the laminations to a minimum as I build the milk/luggage coach I'll explain along the way

Ps just followed your scratch building thread, you've got some good stuff going on.

Scott