Minerva announce Manning Wardle K Class 0-6-0ST

Andy Y

• 3 weeks later...

The first fully assembled working engineering prototype of the Minerva RTR 0 gauge Manning Wardle K Class 0-6-0ST locomotive arrived this week.  As you see from the comparison with a Minerva GWR 57XX 0-6-0PT, she is a dainty thing of beauty and moves smoothly and elegantly.  We are very pleased with her, but please note that this is a prototype and therefore liable to minor changes before going into full production.

You can see her at Guildex at Telford on 1st and 2nd September on Stand 95. Orders placed before the end of 30th September 2018 will receive a discount of £25. Full details are on the Minerva website at  https://www.minervamodelrailways.co.uk/how-to-order/

post-13142-0-44474100-1535052272_thumb.jpg

post-13142-0-32438200-1535052287_thumb.jpg

post-13142-0-20441400-1535052309_thumb.jpg

post-13142-0-81244000-1535052327_thumb.jpg

post-13142-0-02418400-1535052352_thumb.jpg

post-13142-0-47640500-1535052372_thumb.jpg

• Like 15

• RMweb Gold

What a little beauty!

I shall try not to drool on it too much at Telford - in all seriousness it looks great so far.

The Broughton & Dunnerdale Light Railway will be very happy with their No.1 when she arrives :)

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

The M-W is why I am so pleased Chris & Minerva have gone back to making small 7mm scale locos. I reckon its 6 years since the Ixion Hudswell Clarke saddle tank came out, so much has changed since then.

I can't think of another inside cylinder RTR loco where you can see the rivets and drain cocks on the inside cylinder heads, and many other details. Its a stunning likeness of 'Sharpthorne' on the Bluebell. 

Retro-fitting DCC+ sound would be folly so I'll be ordering it pre-loaded.

Anyone like an Alphagraphix card kit of 'Sir Berkeley'?

Dava

• Like 1

The first fully assembled working engineering prototype of the Minerva RTR 0 gauge Manning Wardle K Class 0-6-0ST locomotive arrived this week. As you see from the comparison with a Minerva GWR 57XX 0-6-0PT, she is a dainty thing of beauty and moves smoothly and elegantly. We are very pleased with her, but please note that this is a prototype and therefore liable to minor changes before going into full production.

You can see her at Guildex at Telford on 1st and 2nd September on Stand 95. Orders placed before the end of 30th September 2018 will receive a discount of £25. Full details are on the Minerva website at https://www.minervamodelrailways.co.uk/how-to-order/

Only one word necessary....... WOW! :)

Chris, if possible is there any chance of seeing the MW alongside the Hudswell Clark please? Just for a size comparison. No problem if it's not possible but will help put things further in perspective for those of us who are more focused on light railways etc.

Cheers,

David

Edited by south_tyne
  • Like 1

Only one word necessary....... WOW! :)

Chris, if possible is there any chance of seeing the MW alongside the Hudswell Clark please? Just for a size comparison. No problem if it's not possible but will help put things further in perspective for those of us who are more focused on light railways etc.

Cheers,

David

David,

Here she is with my Ixion Hudswell Clarke ELIJAH. I have also attached a photo of her against a Bachmann 00 8750 0-6-0PT: who said 0 gauge needs lots of space?

Regards,

Chris

post-13142-0-32535900-1535105787_thumb.jpg

post-13142-0-96758600-1535105801_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

...who said 0 gauge needs lots of space?

Regards,

Chris

Nail + hammer = Hit!! :good:

Now if you'd just care to move into another untapped market waiting for decent models, & produce 1:48 scale, 2-rail GP38-2* & CF7* locos... :D :yes:

*(American diesels for the un-interested)

• Like 1

David,

Here she is with my Ixion Hudswell Clarke ELIJAH. I have also attached a photo of her against a Bachmann 00 8750 0-6-0PT: who said 0 gauge needs lots of space?

Regards,

Chris

Cheers Chris that's fantastic! I've been deliberating (procrastinating!!) a lot about what to do but I think these prototype shots have confirmed where the pennies I have saved for a second 7mm scale loco are going to end up.... it will be a lovely stablemate for the HC :)

• Like 2

The serious space-eater in O gauge are the curves. That said, a lot HO/OO scale modellers try to get at least a 36" curve to avoid the train-set look. I have found that tight curves look bad when viewed from the outside, but if you are viewing the curve from the inside (such as an around-the-room shelf layout) it is far less noticeable.

The Manning Wardle K class is definitely on the list of locomotives to purchase. We had a few of them, or at least similar ones in Australia. So I suppose I had better dig up the drawings for a KA tramcar and model the 19th-century Camden Tramway. It should not a particularly difficult model, but I need to track down suitable drawings.

tramcar1000px.jpg
Image from this page: http://www.imra.org.au/White_mod51.html

• Like 2

May we know please who will be doing the soundset and from where the sounds will be sourced.

None of the surviving Ks are in currently commission. Paul Chetter has designed a bespoke sound project on a locomotive of similar specification and the equipment will be ZIMO.

Finally found an online photo of the NSWGR Manning Wardle K class. It was uploaded in 2010 by David Taylor who built his from a kit produced by Precision Model Engineering in conjunction with Salters. I think PME is now no more, but their kits still turn up from time to time and they are very fine, and correspondingly finicky to build! I looked into the parts of things like their D wagon kit and they are all well beyond my technical ability to construct.

I think I would have to do my own teller chimney to match No. 292.

post-1936-000428400%201284100043_thumb.j

• Like 1

Finally found an online photo of the NSWGR Manning Wardle K class. It was uploaded in 2010 by David Taylor who built his from a kit produced by Precision Model Engineering in conjunction with Salters. I think PME is now no more, but their kits still turn up from time to time and they are very fine, and correspondingly finicky to build! I looked into the parts of things like their D wagon kit and they are all well beyond my technical ability to construct.

I think I would have to do my own teller chimney to match No. 292.

post-1936-000428400%201284100043_thumb.j

292 and 293 are K class. the older locos from the opening of the Richmond line are I class. there was also a K class used on one of the Illawarra colliery lines.

I had a dabble in 7mm scale many years ago the PME 3 plank D wagon was inspired by the wagon I built that was given to David Peterson.

Regards,

Craig W

• Like 1

Curves don't have to be too broad in O Scale. This is 3ft radius, & from the inside looks ok:-

post-704-0-69866500-1535367305_thumb.jpg

I haven't tested it with 6-coupled British steamers, though, I must admit.

On the other hand, this curve goes right down to about 26" radius at it's tightest point. That is too tight for longer American diesels!!

post-704-0-84530900-1535367515_thumb.jpg

The reasons for such a tight curve are that the boards were originally built for HO Scale, & in this corner I wanted to keep access to the boiler below fairly clear.

Edit:- layout is unfinished scenicly.

Edited by F-UnitMad
  • Like 3

Curves don't have to be too broad in O Scale. This is 3ft radius, & from the inside looks ok:-

attachicon.gif20170204_205515.jpg

I haven't tested it with 6-coupled British steamers, though, I must admit.

On the other hand, this curve goes right down to about 26" radius at it's tightest point. That is too tight for longer American diesels!!

attachicon.gif20161223_182318.jpg

The reasons for such a tight curve are that the boards were originally built for HO Scale, & in this corner I wanted to keep access to the boiler below fairly clear.

Edit:- layout is unfinished scenicly.

You can get away with tighter curves in American O gauge because everything is on bogies, has no buffers and diesels are on bogies. When modelling NSWGR we have a curious mix of hook-and-chain with buffers and automatic couplers with or without buffers. If you are careful with your consists not to get two buffered vehicles together, you can get them around quite tight curves of 36" and by then it is a matter of whether or not your locomotives will handle it.

292 and 293 are K class. the older locos from the opening of the Richmond line are I class. there was also a K class used on one of the Illawarra colliery lines.

I had a dabble in 7mm scale many years ago the PME 3 plank D wagon was inspired by the wagon I built that was given to David Peterson.

Regards,

Craig W

Do you have any more details on the K class that ran on the Illawarra? I imagine that it must be in the Gazetteer but I have not seen my copy for many months (packed up during household renovations).

They're all in storage, so I don't have photos, but I did do a few kit-bashes of some slaters MR wagons into near-enough D wagons. As I recall, one was a 3-plank drop side, and one was a 5-plank side-door D wagon. I used the main body components and then substituted some detailing parts. With the K class, I would really just have to scratch-build the KA tramcar and I could have a 19th-century Camden tram!

You can get away with tighter curves in American O gauge because everything is on bogies, has no buffers and diesels are on bogies. When modelling NSWGR we have a curious mix of hook-and-chain with buffers and automatic couplers with or without buffers. If you are careful with your consists not to get two buffered vehicles together, you can get them around quite tight curves of 36" and by then it is a matter of whether or not your locomotives will handle it.

Agree entirely. I'm not suggesting for a moment that modern BR diesels or rolling stock could take such curves, but in the context of this Thread, with small Industrial locos & steam-age short-wheelbase wagons, tighter curves than the accepted 'norm' of 6'radius minimum - or even the 4' Peco setrack - should work ok.

Agree entirely. I'm not suggesting for a moment that modern BR diesels or rolling stock could take such curves, but in the context of this Thread, with small Industrial locos & steam-age short-wheelbase wagons, tighter curves than the accepted 'norm' of 6'radius minimum - or even the 4' Peco setrack - should work ok.

Minerva locos are specifically designed to traverse PECO Setrack curves of 40.5" radius. 

• Like 2