NBL Warships in S Wales

mervyn

I remember seeing a picture of an NBL 600xx warship at Pantyfynnon and the comment was they had been transferred in lieu of 37s, which had been reallocated elesewhere, anyone know if they were ever used down here on any workings?? or quickly returned whence they came?...merv

I remember seeing a picture of an NBL 600xx warship at Pantyfynnon and the comment was they had been transferred in lieu of 37s, which had been reallocated elesewhere, anyone know if they were ever used down here on any workings?? or quickly returned whence they came?...merv

If I remember correctly ,  a couple were based at Landore for a little while to try them out on coal workings .

It wasn't a successful venture though mainly due to technical unfamiliarity of the machines .

They were indeed returned from whence they came . 

I take my info from a great book loaned to me  called 'The Westerns Hydraulics ' which goes into detail about every class of hydraulic 

the Western Region ordered .

I look forward to running one on my layout when they eventually make the thing in model form !

• Like 1

Yes they were used in the Pantyfynnon area for a short while. There are a couple of photos of them on goods trains - and the links were provided in another thread on the subject some months ago, but I don't remember which thread that was, sorry. 

Maybe a search on Pantyfynnon will bring it up?

The three locos concerned were D601, D602 and D604, they were briefly allocated to Landore from August to November '67, on return to Laira they all worked right up until withdrawal at the end of December.

Edited by Rugd1022
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

At the time I assumed that this was a paper transfer that never actually happened, as I saw, and photographed, the Barry pair being hauled dead by a Hymek at Marshfiled on what I assume was their final journey to Woodham's; they were on the down relief and in transit from Laira.  But they had worked at Panytfynnon as has been proved with photographs; I just never saw one, a story which shows the importance of not relying on assumptions!

• Like 1

Hugh Dady's book 'Heyday Of the Warships' has a very nice colour shot by Roy Palmer of D602 on a short pick up freight at Llandrindod Wells in September '67, the caption mentions that this only occurred twice while D602 was based at Landore.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Hugh Dady's book 'Heyday Of the Warships' has a very nice colour shot by Roy Palmer of D602 on a short pick up freight at Llandrindod Wells in September '67, the caption mentions that this only occurred twice while D602 was based at Landore.

That's the one Nidge - thanks for gen, hadn't got to finding book yet - from memory train contains 16 tonners and tanker(s) so definitely revenue traffic not engineers

Phil

• Like 1

That's the one Nidge - thanks for gen, hadn't got to finding book yet - from memory train contains 16 tonners and tanker(s) so definitely revenue traffic not engineers

Phil

I can confirm that, Phil. The photo was dated September 1967, and the train comprised a 16t mineral, steel high, two Shell-BP Class B tanks, a van and two more opens, with a BR brake. It had originated at Llandeilo Jct. What intrigues me is where the two fuel-oil tanks might have been doing; perhaps heating oil for either Ffairfach or Llangadog creameries?

• Like 1

D602 at Landore depot, Swansea - 16th September, 1967.

I believe the photo was taken by a Mr. Clive Martin.

Brian R

Very nice Brian, not to mention rare and historic - would you mind if I posted it with full credit to you and Clive on the facebook Hydraulic group where it will be very much appreciated...?

Edited by Rugd1022
  • Like 1

Very nice Brian, not to mention rare and historic - would you mind if I posted it with full credit to you and Clive on the facebook Hydraulic group where it will be very much appreciated...?

Just a credit to Clive Martin will do, all I did was come across his photo