Airfix/Dapol Kits - real life inspiration

• 2 weeks later...

Very nice.

But what's the prototype and does it go around radius one track? 

:P

Jason

Hi Jason,

There is no prototype although the front engine unit is a bit like a 3900 Challenger and the rear engine unit is a truncated 9F with BR Std styling.

It will indeed go around 2nd radius track because I have tried it out on it, it is the reason that there is a slot in the tenon of the front engine unit rather than a round hole.

Gibbo.

• Like 1

If you're playing what can I do with a 9F kit, the wheel diameter and spacing (if truncated) is bang on for a O-16.5 model of the Sierra Leone government railway 482-284 garratts (I suspect I'm the only person who bought the kit specifically for that feasibility study).

• Like 3

If you're playing what can I do with a 9F kit, the wheel diameter and spacing (if truncated) is bang on for a O-16.5 model of the Sierra Leone government railway 482-284 garratts (I suspect I'm the only person who bought the kit specifically for that feasibility study).

Hi Brack,

Go mad and build one !

My contraption had its cylinders cut off and reset on the horizontal centre line of the cylinders to make room for the steam pipes under the running boards, these have yet to be made and fitted.

Gibbo.

• Like 1

I did buy two Hornby 9f chassis at one point (one tender one loco driven) but decided building an 18" long loco might have been unnecessary folly (especially when my current layout is only 2'8" long)

Edited by brack
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

It might be usable, it depends on what you are discharging. Not sure if they are still going, but there used to be a company in York called Walkers who dredged sand and gravel from the river using a barge. If they didn't use the crane on the barge to discharge it, some thing like this would do the job, although I suspect it might be a bit elaborate.

Adrian

IIRC Walkers had stopped that before I left York in 1986, however, although I can't remember exactly my memory of when is that it wasn't that long before I left. Their barge was the Reklaw.

They worked the Ouse and lower part of the Foss.

Edited by john new

• 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Just reading through brings back a lot of memories, not only the railway stuff but the whole wonderful range of kits from various makers available relatively cheaply back then. They got us started and we learned so much from them.

I do remember building the Airfix county inn to go with my 3 rail train set. Built it, painted it, sat it on the board. But to my 8 year old eyes it lacked something, surely a rural inn would have a glow of candlelight from the windows?

From which I learned that putting a real lit candle in a plastic building was not the best of ideas. I was not a popular child in our house for a while after that ........ 

• RMweb Gold

Just reading through brings back a lot of memories, not only the railway stuff but the whole wonderful range of kits from various makers available relatively cheaply back then. They got us started and we learned so much from them.

I do remember building the Airfix county inn to go with my 3 rail train set. Built it, painted it, sat it on the board. But to my 8 year old eyes it lacked something, surely a rural inn would have a glow of candlelight from the windows?

From which I learned that putting a real lit candle in a plastic building was not the best of ideas. I was not a popular child in our house for a while after that ........ 

I used to burn plastic sprue to put soot under bridges and tunnel mouths, not to mention the entrance to my Airfix engine shed, which I wouldn't have the nerve to try nowadays!  This was when the layout was in the attic and I could get away with things...

• Like 1

I used to burn plastic sprue to put soot under bridges and tunnel mouths, not to mention the entrance to my Airfix engine shed, which I wouldn't have the nerve to try nowadays!  This was when the layout was in the attic and I could get away with things...

Hi Johnster,

From reading your post it would seem that the biggest thing you "got away with" was not burning the house down !!!

I thought the daftest modelling caper I was ever involved in was the stirring of Humbrol paint tinlets with a manipulated paper clip in a Black and Decker drill.

Gibbo.

I started on a GWR City based 4-6-0 using, guess what, two City of Truro kits.

Its still not finished and may never have been practical, but it still looks far prettier than the contemporaneous Kruger 4-6-0.....

I'll dig it out tomorrow and take a snap to post here!

• Like 1

Hi Folks,

Here is my BR [non] Standard mallet, and a link to Imaginary Locomotives;

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/14790-imaginary-locomotives/page-149

attachicon.gifDSCF0411.JPG

Gibbo.

As its a Mallet, and vaguely 9F to boot, it would be useful over the Mendips. Perhaps it should be named

drumroll..........

Shepton Mallet !!!!    :jester: 

Ithenkyow.........

• Like 2

As its a Mallet, and vaguely 9F to boot, it would be useful over the Mendips. Perhaps it should be named

drumroll..........

Shepton Mallet !!!!    :jester: 

Ithenkyow.........

Hi Hroth,

I like it !!!

I also look forward to seeing your City of Truro kit bash, do post it on the Imaginary Locos thread. I had thought of doing something similar but have not yet got around to it. I have been busy with Shepton Mallet, some other daft kit bash jobs and sixteen Presflos with another eight on the way, see below.

post-34584-0-23972200-1538512755_thumb.jpg

Gibbo.

• Like 5

As mentioned above, I started carving a couple of Dapol "City" kits into a NeverWozz early GWR 4-6-0.

I think there was a reason at the time but at present it escapes me, though I did a mocked up photo of Atbara as a 4-6-0 in the imaginary locos thread so it might have been that that sparked it off.  Anyhow, here it is.   The photos reveal how long the boiler is, it would be completely impractical as a real locomotive, but perhaps extending the smokebox halfway along the first boiler ring might improve the proportions.  I think I'll have a go at completing it during the long nights of winter!

So, in Photographic Grey....

post-21933-0-85631200-1538652568.jpg

post-21933-0-03000100-1538652586.jpg

• Like 7

• 1 month later...