Dapol sound-fitted locos to be no longer supplied to retailers

dpgibbons

The loco theyve used as an example the class 68 comes with a speaker pre fitted I think. 

On average the price difference between dcc ready and dcc sound fitted is about £125 - £135

With sound decoders available for about £100 id rather buy dcc ready and my own decoder

But it is explained. The only way they can supply them, presumably at the correct margin for them , is by selling direct.

Or yet more bluntly in their own words Dapol have found it  "isn't financially viable" to offer models with sound through the normal retail channel. Dapol will be able to gauge directly from preorders whether it is viable to commit to the up front expense of recording, editing and loading sound decoders, assisting their financial planning.

But this nevertheless strikes me as risky. The large retailers have established partnerships with sound providers, and will promote their alternative offerings as a package based on the DCC ready models, and thus retain all the margin on the premium element of the sale. And if the retailers harvest the bulk of the sound fitted preorders, that could squeeze Dapol out of offering their factory fitted sound version through not obtaining sufficient share of the preorders.

• Like 2

It costs us about £100 to £120 to fit a sound chip to a loco if we do it ourselves. So ultimately, if Dapol adds more than that to the price for Factory fitted sound, many DCC users will forego pre-fitted and do their own using the sound provider of their choice.

If they offer this via direct sales only, shops can offer their own service but they will probably be a bit more expensive.

It costs us about £100 to £120 to fit a sound chip to a loco if we do it ourselves...

And on the class 68 I see at one retailer £132 for DCC ready, £255 for factory fitted DCC sound version. Just one retailer's pricing admittedly, but there's a £123 opportunity gap there, which should play nicely with your sound installation price...

I feel this move is risky for Dapol.

And on the class 68 I see at one retailer £132 for DCC ready, £255 for factory fitted DCC sound version. Just one retailer's pricing admittedly, but there's a £123 opportunity gap there, which should play nicely with your sound installation price...

I feel this move is risky for Dapol.

Compare this to Graham Farish R-T-R sound fitted models where the factory optimised sound installation is less expensive than the combined price of the DC model plus the same decoder bought at retail.

Now, that's the way to sell out quickly all the sound fitted models you can make. And they have. Sold in the usual way through Bachmann retailers.

Best regards,

Paul

Compare this to Graham Farish R-T-R sound fitted models where the factory optimised sound installation is less expensive than the combined price of the DC model plus the same decoder bought at retail.

Now, that's the way to sell out quickly all the sound fitted models you can make. And they have. Sold in the usual way through Bachmann retailers.

Best regards,

Paul

Paul,

I guess that Dapol are planning to sell their "Sound version" products direct to the modeller for one reason :

To increase their profit margins !!!

I hope I'm wrong.

If this proves to be the case, then this seems to be very unfair on all of the retailers, (Big or small),as they are the Guys that have helped build Dapol's market share in the world of model railways, and have also dealt with some quality issues from Dapol.

I understand your point about the N gauge R-t-r sound fitted locos being cheaper overall, but I doubt that Dapol are going to start to retail their sound fitted versions a lot cheaper.

My personal opinion is that it makes NO sense at all to buy a "factory fitted sound" loco, and to then have to put up with the possibly inferior sounds or speakers that they provide.

This could mean then having to pay out yet more money, on a "Re-blow" and/or a better speaker.

I therefore believe it is a better solution, to support your retailer, and buy your DCC ready Loco from them.

Then fit the sound chip and speaker(s) of your choice, the cost overall would be about the same.

That way you have something that you can have a control over, and can therefore be pleased with the end result, instead of maybe having to put up with the manufacturers choice, which could have been chosen with a budget / profit in mind

Edited by Perfect Paul

I guess that Dapol are planning to sell their "Sound version" products direct to the modeller for one reason :

To increase their profit margins !!!

No. I get the impression it is to protect their margins (especially in the N gauge market where it often seems like customers are more price sensitive or at least seem to moan about it more). With costs increasing (and on sound installation) selling direct is one way to save large price increases by cutting out middle and retailer margins on those extra costs.

G. 

Hi Grahame,

You maybe right, but as more modellers are

looking to fit sound into their Locos (in all gauges) it still seems very unfair on the retailers who will miss out on these bigger sales.

Of course, the problem comes if Dapol install a sound chip that CAN'T be Re-blown to another manufacturers sounds.

Then you really are STUCK with the sound you get from Dapol or other manufacturers.

I still think it is a better idea to make your own choice regarding sound provider and speaker(s), especially when the cost is about the same difference, and at the same time you are still supporting the retailers.

Best regards

Paul

• Like 1

Hi Grahame,

You maybe right, but as more modellers are

looking to fit sound into their Locos (in all gauges) it still seems very unfair on the retailers who will miss out on these bigger sales.

Of course, the problem comes if Dapol install a sound chip that CAN'T be Re-blown to another manufacturers sounds.

Then you really are STUCK with the sound you get from Dapol or other manufacturers.

I still think it is a better idea to make your own choice regarding sound provider and speaker(s), especially when the cost is about the same difference, and at the same time you are still supporting the retailers.

Best regards

Paul

Paul,

This is going a little off topic, but to address some of your points

Unlike some of the main Bachmann range which are now equipped with Loksound Select decoders which more or less block out 3rd party sound producers, the GF sound fitted range all use 'Full Fat' reprogrammable ZIMO decoders.

You could even create your own sound projects, though you would need a piece of kit to actually load the sounds to the decoder, or get someone who has this (the equivalent ZIMO item to a Lokprogrammer) to reblow it with your sounds for you.

Your point about user choice is a valid one, though manufacturers own sound projects are now much more advanced and prototypical than they were when a single producer for a single brand dominated the r-t-r sound fitted market.

For example, I can't imagine anyone removing a Legomanbiffo project from an Oxford Models sound fitted Janus on the basis that it's deficient in some way.

The other thing to remember is that despite all the encouragement and 'how to' guides publised, only a relatively small percentage of owners even go so far as to remove the bodies from their models.

For the majority, DCC fitted and r-t-r sound options are godsend. They can obtain something similar to what the perhaps more adventurous have been able to create for themselves. At least the GF approach does not impart a significant premium for this convenience and of course, there's no 'modelling' required which may serve to invalidate any warranty.

Best regards,

Paul

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold

I was looking on Dapol’s website I thought they were doing a Trans Pennine version but I can find no reference to it. Anyone know if they plan to do this version. Also, does the two Scotrail loco’s ever stray away from Scotland and work services in England?

• RMweb Gold

I was looking on Dapol’s website I thought they were doing a Trans Pennine version but I can find no reference to it. Anyone know if they plan to do this version. Also, does the two Scotrail loco’s ever stray away from Scotland and work services in England?

Sorry, this post should have gone in the other Class 68 thread.

Reference TPE 68 see http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/119978-dapols-new-class-68-locomotives/?p=3318982