50017 for sale

brushman47544

• RMweb Premium

It seems that Boden Rail has put 50017 up for sale http://www.wnxx.com/forsale/index.htm. If there are no takers, it seems the loco will be used to provide spares for 50050 and 37240 (bogies?).

Despite being a 50 basher back in the day, am I alone in thinking that Class 50s are well represented in both preservation and on the main line, and the loss of one might not be a bad thing if it ensures the continued operation of the other survivors?

Edited by brushman47544
  • Agree 1

It seems that Boden Rail has put 50017 up for sale http://www.wnxx.com/forsale/index.htm. If there are no takers, it seems the loco will be used to provide spares for 50050 and 37240 (bogies?).

Despite being a 50 basher back in the day, am I alone in thinking that Class 50s are well represented in both preservation and on the main line, and the loss of one might not be a bad thing if it ensures the continued operation of the other survivors?

This is a loco in excellent condition (except wheelsets), mainline registered with all necessary safety equipment, hardly comparable to any of the wrecks which havent turned a wheel in years is it.

• RMweb Premium

This is a loco in excellent condition (except wheelsets), mainline registered with all necessary safety equipment, hardly comparable to any of the wrecks which havent turned a wheel in years is it.

To that point, it isn’t going to be cheap!

I too am of the view that if we must lose one of the 73 surviving Class 50s, it ought to be a demic rather than a runner, but it will all come down to economics in the final analysis...

I reckon only 18 out of the original 50 are preserved but I agree that it would be better to let one of several 'demics' go for spares rather than a runner.

Ray.

Neil's a canny businessman and I don't doubt he has his reasons for offloading Log17.

I wonder if GBRf might pick her up given the news on the other prototype thread.

Cl.50 is a rum-do though that's tough to call in terms of usefulness. ETS fitted 100mph capable sure, a 47 will get close enough to that though, without the headaches of fragile main gen and questionable spares procurement. So like Deltics they're probably great as cosseted wine and dine landcruise haulers but mixed traffic traction, I dunno.

C6T.

• Like 1

I too am of the view that if we must lose one of the 73 surviving Class 50s, it ought to be a demic rather than a runner, but it will all come down to economics in the final analysis...

If those 73 dub-dubs were let loose in a petri dish with the 553 Bulleid Pacifics languishing around the country, we'd be fooked!

C6T.

• RMweb Gold

Neil's a canny businessman and I don't doubt he has his reasons for offloading Log17.

I wonder if GBRf might pick her up given the news on the other prototype thread.

Cl.50 is a rum-do though that's tough to call in terms of usefulness. ETS fitted 100mph capable sure, a 47 will get close enough to that though, without the headaches of fragile main gen and questionable spares procurement. So like Deltics they're probably great as cosseted wine and dine landcruise haulers but mixed traffic traction, I dunno.

C6T.

Its the eth generator thats normally the weak point, providing the loco is driven correctly the main generator is no weaker than any other EE generator.

Spares are far easier to get hold of than a sulzer, believe it or not, dont forget the 56s engine is a direct descendent from a 50, and you could probably use a lot of parts from a 37.

Electrical wise a lot od development has happened to them since br ditched them including the dreaded kv10 being made into a solid state modern version.

The downer on 50017 is its tyres are near scrapping size, which means the best part of 40k if you want to continue on the main line long term.....

• RMweb Gold

Its the eth generator thats normally the weak point, providing the loco is driven correctly the main generator is no weaker than any other EE generator.

Spares are far easier to get hold of than a sulzer, believe it or not, dont forget the 56s engine is a direct descendent from a 50, and you could probably use a lot of parts from a 37.

Electrical wise a lot od development has happened to them since br ditched them including the dreaded kv10 being made into a solid state modern version.

The downer on 50017 is its tyres are near scrapping size, which means the best part of 40k if you want to continue on the main line long term.....

£40k, sounds a lot for a preservationist, but for a TOC its nothing in the big picture.

Trouble is its not really appealing to either option.. a class of 1 to a ToC or a loco needing a (proportionatly) expensive repair to a PG.

I’m sure it wont get scrapped though, maybe of interest to LSL ?

• RMweb Premium

NO!

There are a few other candidates lying around which could become donors. This loco is an absolute beast and shouldnt face the axe.

Think you will find that 50050 is up for sale too.

Edited by ba14eagle

• RMweb Gold

How does the condition of 017 compare to that of 002, 029 and 030 ?

• RMweb Premium

NO!

There are a few other candidates lying around which could become donors. This loco is an absolute beast and shouldnt face the axe.

Think you will find that 50050 is up for sale too.

Why are people assuming I meant 50017 should be scrapped...? I was trying to make the point that there are lots of 50s still around and over time they will become more frail and need more money to keep them running. Spare parts will also become more scarce. Would it be better in the long run therefore if fewer locos of a particular class were preserved so there is enough money available to keep those that have been preserved running. This doesn't just apply to 50s either. How many diesels are lying around preservation sites will little or no hope of ever being resuscitated?

• Agree 2

This topic on other forums is getting very hot and giving the Admins a hard time so let just remember not to fly of the handle regarding 50017. What will or no happen will all come out in the end, so who could buy her or what's her value in spares is as this is all a non fact at the moment .

Remember Harry Needle (who I know too well) told the world that D9016 was going to DRS if nobody bought her.

50017 "has" nearly scrap tyres but so do a lot of loco's running around on the UKs railways at 25mph but this doesn't stop them being used

EDIT. Said item is now sold , I'm sure the new owner(s) will release a statement in due time.

Edited by 25901

2 hours ago, 25901 said:

EDIT. Said item is now sold , I'm sure the new owner(s) will release a statement in due time.

Confirmed this afternoon as being sold to the Great Central Railway North. So somewhat ironically won't be moving very far, although if it goes by rail it'll have a pretty circuitous route! 

3 minutes ago, surfsup said:

Confirmed this afternoon as being sold to the Great Central Railway North. So somewhat ironically won't be moving very far, although if it goes by rail it'll have a pretty circuitous route! 

If only there was a connection between the two Great Central Railways.......

• Agree 2