• RMweb Premium

The latest addition to the RC fleet was deemed operational today if not completely detailed.  It has yet to be fully road tested on the layout but it did pass its trundle around the kitchen floor so hopefully there should not be any problems.

post-7686-0-67853900-1420901815_thumb.jpg

The conversion follows what Giles has done before and what I did on my Ford Thames.

If it looks 'wet' it is because a MIG cold grey wash had just been sloshed on and was still drying when I took the piccy.

I am a little behind where I had hoped to be with The End of the Line's first exhibition (under my ownership) fast approaching so wipers, the cab interior, a driver and a new number plate etc will have to wait.  There is another Morris Commercial fast on its heals and hopefully this too will be ready for the end of the month.  The other Morris will have a 7 plank (ish) tipper body eventually for variety but I expect it'll run with its original one for the Yate show.

Once I'm happy with the weathering I'll touch in the indicator lights and door handle and dull those hub caps down a bit too.

• Like 9

• RMweb Premium

A lot of 50's light commercials had those chrome plated hubcaps and they were often highly polished so they won't need toning down. I recall that they were nicknamed 'Sabrina's' after a well endowed actress of the period.

• RMweb Premium

A lot of 50's light commercials had those chrome plated hubcaps and they were often highly polished so they won't need toning down. I recall that they were nicknamed 'Sabrina's' after a well endowed actress of the period.

Thanks but now I am wondering whether it is wise to Google 'Sabrina's hub caps'.  Probably not....

Last week, I was lent a couple of photographs from one of the members in my local model club.  The photos show (I believe) the chaps father's collection of road vehicles sometime I guess in the mid 1950s.  His father was (or worked for) a building contractor in Bradford.   I'll ask his permission this week to post them on here as I would like to know what the vehicles are.  There is a light pick up (I'm not sure what model, maybe a Ford), 2 Austin lorries (though I maybe wrong here on one of them) and a Ford Thames lorry all in a striking yellow and black livery.  The light pick up has hub cabs but they are painted.  A very interesting couple of pictures none the less.

Well I'll leave the hub caps on the Morris alone for a bit and see what reaction I get, if any, from the visitors at the next few shows.  Maybe if they know about hub caps in the 1950/60s, they'll remember Sabrina too.   

• 3 months later...

I´m mighty impressed by the RC lorries showmn in this thread!

One day I might try to build one myself for a display layout. 

I wonder if anyone have tried to build a programmable RC lorry? What I would love would be to "record" the manual driving of a RC vehicle, and to have a computer/controlling device that can replay the movements.

• 1 year later...

I recently bought a desk-top laser cutter, and have been making bits and pieces for my layout, Denton Brook, with it, including a building complete with fire escape, guttering, and now drains for the roadways on the layout

Many of the items I can now make available to others. Details are here on my new little web page: http://www.bygiles.com

IMG_0241_zpstto8cmia.jpg

IMG_0420_zpspsuq3m0q.jpg

Edited by Giles
  • Like 7

Long Preston had a gate like that on the narrow gauge track into the gasworks that but without a man on it. the gate was wired up the point into the gasworks so when it was set the gate opened and closed when set away.

med_gallery_9948_1178_489254.jpg

Edited by sir douglas
  • Like 2

now if someone could find a way of moving the man to , say, the other gate on a level crossing!  

I wonder if the magnet under baseboard and a figure on a pin(transparent), with legs dangling, could give impression of walking. The track might get in the way, but has got me thinking if it could be used for figures moving around on roads etc.

Edited by rue_d_etropal

Yes magnets can be used, in alternative poles under the surface, to repel or attract the legs, and as very very tiny neodymium magnets are now made, it might just be easier than when I did one for a museum display. The figure needs two opposing magnets in the feet, and as it crosses a row of alternating magnetic poles set under the surface, the legs will move, it is however not very realistic without a lot of experiment and adjustment. Might work in 0 scale though.

For 00 crossing gates I just have a man or a boy "riding on the gate", looks all right at rest each end, and during the movement.

Stephen.

Another thought might be the use of "memory metal" wire as a core for the legs, the figure wired to the gate and down via the support post, and a pulsed power supply as the gate opens would operate the legs. The problem might be the time to "recover" as the wire cools, so it might be a slow walking pace!

Each leg would need one wire with connections to the top and bottom for the power.....a bit of a struggle in 4mm, but easier in 7mm.

Another way with the figure firmly attached to the frame would be fine magicians Mylar black thread up the legs, through the body, and arms, and then through a hollow top frame to the post, with a cam system under the board to move the legs. Pure automata operation!

And as a final gesture, as the gate closes on the road, the figure raises his hat to the passing train, now there's a challenge! just needs the hand fixed to the brim, and the arm jointed, a third thread that only goes tight at the right point.

Must try these myself in 4mm!

Stephen.

• Like 1

I remember seeing a layout at an Exhibition showing a man riding a bike and his legs were moving very life like, I think it was in 7mm and the exhibitor was From Holland.

Martyn.

• Like 1

I think that may of even been 4mm- very impressive! You can buy the system.....

In the early hours of this morning I had a bit of an idea as to how to get round the problem I was having with lasering small holes and slots in plastic (acrylic). It has been this that prevented me from making the fire escape for Denton Brook in Trotec, and forcing me to make it in 0.8mm ply - which actually works extremely well.....

However, the thinnest ply I can get is 0.8mm, and it still has some limitations, so the problem needed solving.

I set to work, and after a couple of hours adjusting, I cracked it. The upshot is that I'll be able to supply fire escapes in Trotec - not only in 7mm, but in 4mm as well!

IMG_0259_zpsrzdcxst3.jpg

Edited by Giles
  • Like 4

• 3 weeks later...

Glutton for punishment that I am, this caught my eye, and I shall have a bash at converting it for control.

It won't be easy for me, as it's quite small so getting everything in certainly won't be straightforward. I may VERY well not succeed.

88858529-7F08-40DA-AD1E-87AEF13DFF5B_zps

• Like 10

It arrived this morning, with all plastic, fixed pulley sheeves- which aren't a lot of use for a working model - so I spent the afternoon machining up some brass pulleys that freely rotate with shafts to replace them. To my surprise I actually got it done..... The jib now raises and lowers very well, although I have to make a new hook from brass, as this plastic one is non-functional and far too light.

IMG_0295_zpsakbmg5lo.jpg

IMG_0300_zpssogsxgey.jpg

IMG_0301_zpsh5zibkg9.jpg

Edited by Giles
  • Like 14

I am looking forward to seeing how this goes for you Giles. It should look superb. I rather fancy having a go at a mobile crane at some point, but its some way down my priority list.

Do you know how you are going to control all the extra drives yet? you will need more controls on your transmitter. I presume you are going for the full:- hoist, slew and derrick motion? along with drive and steering.

Have you seen the various diggers and cranes that they build on the continent. I find a lot of inspiration on the 'Der Theoretiker' Youtube channel.

I need to talk to Microns about the most suitable transmitter - but yes - I want to incorporate the works. Hoist and Derrick aren't a problem, but slew is less straight-forward, as the pivot point is quite close to the front of the cab, which makes an internal slew gear virtually impossible (it has to be of a reasonable size, in order to get slip-rings up the centre of it, so I can get unlimited 360 rotation).

Therefore I think I shall be going with an external slew gear, which also gives me a little more height to get gearmotors in.

I spent a significant part of the weekend making a new hook to replace the plastic one. A brass silver soldered fabrication, with sculpted nickel-silver hook, and added Trotec detail, it's now ready to fit- except I've now stripped the whole model down into its components to see what we've got!

The new hook was made over the week end, replicating the plastic one (but working, and heavier) ready to fit when the Derrick is re-reeved. It's the first time I've used my little bolt heads (because I can.....!) and I just dabbed the teeniest amount of epoxy onto the brass, and placed the bolt head onto it. It would help if I had better eye sight.

IMG_0311_zps4s7qva7q.jpg

IMG_0314_zpsa8ixbxnq.jpg

Edited by Giles
  • Like 10

The current slew ring has to go, and the external gear must replace it. It used to be a full gear I saved from something twenty years ago (can't remember what) and I cut the centre out with a piercing saw to take the thin profile bearing, which was bedded I with Milliput (the loads of course being minute in real terms). Care was taken to get it as concentric as possible, however, to avoid the minor gear from disengaging.

IMG_0317_zpsnsffqinh.jpg

One fiddly job, however was the minor gear was cored with a 'D' hole the wrong size. This needed boring out round, and then bushing ready for the slew motor. In order to hold this in the lathe, a piece of tube was cut and used as a 'split collet' to protect the teeth and hold it concentric. This job went fine, and a brass bush was araldited in.

IMG_0323_zpscovkzrrj.jpg

Edited by Giles
  • Like 3

And a top plate with female part to sleeve the bearing internally. This was a short piece of 15mm copper water pipe, just thinned down a fraction to fit the bearing, silver soldered to a brass plate which will nest to the underside of the crane cab, and then a hole made again to take the slip rings.

IMG_0328_zpszqezjiyr.jpg

IMG_0327_zpshns6djds.jpg

Edited by Giles
  • Like 4

Top plate is then araldited into the bearing

IMG_0330_zps2ome9ygv.jpg

IMG_0334_zpsmppcuv5b.jpg

The crane base in position on the top plate showing what's what.

And that's it for the moment!

Edited by Giles
  • Like 7