TRAINWEST 2013 - 13 & 14 April

Geoff Endacott

Bentley Model Railway Group Present:
TRAINWEST 2013
Saturday 13th April 10.00 a.m. to 5.30 p.m.
Sunday 14th April 10.00 a.m. to 4.30 p.m.
THE CHRISTIE MILLER SPORTS CENTRE, LANCASTER ROAD,
BOWERHILL, MELKSHAM, WILTS., SN12 6QU.
TOP QUALITY LAYOUTS IN VARIOUS SCALES AND GAUGES

Layouts:

Aberdeen Kirkhill T&RSMD: Glenn Daniel & Graham Harris
UK - BR Scotland - 1988

Batty Moor (N): Twickenham & District MRC
UK - Settle & Carlisle - 1945-65

Bodmin (N): Ray Slack & Ian Hibbert
UK- GWR in Cornwall - 1930s

Burntwood Lane (EM): Bentley MRG
UK - BR South London - 1960s

Coppell (OO): Furness MRC
UK - BR North West England – late 1980s & early 1990s

Ferring (P4): Michael Ball
UK - LBSCR in Sussex - 191

Griswald (N) - Harry Harper

Switzerland - Small Alpine Town - Present Day

Horseley Fields (N): NGS Northants/Cambs
UK - West Midlands – 1995-2005

Horsley Bank (P4): Stephen Howe
UK - ex-L&Y in the West Riding of Yorkshire - pre-1939

Khan (OO9): Julian Evison
Namibia (then German South West Africa) - 1908

Maindee East (P4): Steffan Lewis
UK - BR(WR) in South Wales - 1960s

Menasha, WI (HO): Wakefield RMS

USA - Wisconsin Central - 2000

Nettlebridge Valley Railway (P4): Neil Kinison
UK - Mineral Railway in Somerset - 1910

Poynton Sneer (O): Marc Smith

UK - BR(WR) in South Wales - c1980

Rowington for Shrewley (OO): Dick Hewins
UK - GWR in Warwickshire - 1922

Springfield Spa GWR (N): Michael Watts
UK - GWR in Devon - 1934-42

Stapley (O): Bristol Boys
UK - BR Somerset/Devon Border - 1950s

Stodmarsh (O): Kevin & Judy Cartwright
UK - SR in South East Kent - 1939-45

Sweethome Alabama (HO): Jon Grant

USA - CSX Norfolk & Southern in Alabama - 1990s

Warren Lane (OO): Alan Bevan
UK - Freightliner in East Anglia - 2005-07

Yard Shunter (OO): Ray Norwood

UK - BR(SR) in South West England - 1950-60

Zevendaal (HO): Tom Nicholls
Netherlands- Industrial Coast - 1990s

Trade stands:

Alan Ward Collection
Andy Lynch
Aspire Gifts & Models
Black Dwarf Lightmoor

Branchlines
Brunswick Model Railways

C&L Finescale
County Rolling Stock
Derby Trees
Finishing Touches
Gas Cupboard
Golden Arrow

Hafixs Industrial Products

Hedgerow Scenics

Hobby Holidays
Inter-City Models

Just in Case
Keith's Model Railways
M&B Models
Mad About Trains
Modelmania

Model Railway Developments
Plus Daughters
R G Connor Signs & Graphics
Rail-books.co.uk

Railroom Electronics
Richard's Railways

Road Transport Images

Skytrex

South Eastern Finecast

Squires Model & Craft Tools
Team Track Trading

Unit Models

Wealistic Models
Weston's Railways

West Wales Wagon Works
ZTC Controls

Demonstrators:

Alan Doddington - soldering

Malcolm Young - buildings

Geoff Endacott
Exhibition Manager

Geoff,

Have you considered Chippenham Tech College, IIRC from when I attended there in the 80's they have a decent sized sports hall.

Kev

ps Alternatively you could ask RAF Lyneham if you can use one of the hangers laugh.gif laugh.gif

Geoff,

Have you considered Chippenham Tech College, IIRC from when I attended there in the 80's they have a decent sized sports hall.

Kev

ps Alternatively you could ask RAF Lyneham if you can use one of the hangers laugh.gif laugh.gif

Wiltshire College Chippenham (as it is now) no longer has a large hall as it was split up to make a new theatre, dressing rooms and classrooms.

RAF Lyneham is due to close in 2012.

Nice try.

Geoff Endacott

I thought that Lyneham was going to the army for helicopters????. Bath and West Showground????

The future of Lyneham is still up in the air - unlike its aircraft.

The Bath & West Showground is out. I enquired about is once only to be told that the trade presence had to be controlled by the people who run the toyfairs.

Next...

Geoff Endacott

• RMweb Gold

Geoff

If you don't mind a fairly rural site with no public transport but not too far from Swindon and with reasonable road links you might care to have a word with the Science Museum?

There is - as far as I'm aware from a single visit some years back - no onsite catering but there is enough room to park several thousand cars and a large amount of covered space assuming it isn't all in use.

Geoff

If you don't mind a fairly rural site with no public transport but not too far from Swindon and with reasonable road links you might care to have a word with the Science Museum?

There is - as far as I'm aware from a single visit some years back - no onsite catering but there is enough room to park several thousand cars and a large amount of covered space assuming it isn't all in use.

That is on our shortlist. There used to be an exhibition there about 20 years ago and we have attended as a club. However, we pulled out of later shows when we were told that the site was Crown Property and, as such, our layout couldn't be insured!

Any more suggestions...

Geoff Endacott

A couple of years back you mentioned Trainwest was going to be moving to a much bigger venue in a few years time, did that plan fall through?

David

Yes.

We had hoped to go to the Oasis in Swindon, but they insisted on all admissions being handled by their ticket staff. We would then be sent a cheque for the total, less commission, up to six weeks after the event.

Apart from the cashflow problems, a single entry point would just not work. On Saturday morning we already have three staff dealing with admissions at two different entrances - and it's still busy for the first hour.

Geoff Endacott

• RMweb Gold

After application of thinking cap I can't come up with much more Geoff. There is of course also 'Steam' at Swindon but they already have what seem to be a regular event of their own so might not be keen on the idea and it is a rather odd layout. I don't know if there's anything in the remnants of the carriage works on the downside at Swindon but I think not.

Marlborough Town Hall might give enough space using two floors but parking is usually at a premium in the town and access for layouts into the building would be far from easy.

Similarly in Devizes the only thing which immediately comes to mind is the market hall (too small and parking problems) although I do wonder if the brewery has any space now they have their visitor area underway? (but parking close at hand is very limited unless they have room round the back?).

Lacock would be 'different' to say the least but probably limited suitable space plus not quite on theme :rolleyes:

Although I am a bit out of touch with the area I can't think of anything suitable in Westbury or Trowbridge but have you tried West Wilts Council for possible alternative venues? (sorry if I'm teaching granny to suck eggs on that one.)

The only other venues of suitable size which I can find are hotels, and no doubt they come at a price.

http://www.visitwiltshire.co.uk/dbimgs/SwindonConferenceDirectory2.pdf

That's an interesting link, but none of the hotels have enough exhibition space (and they would probably charge an awful lot of money).

West Wiltshire District Council no longer exists - it has been replaced by the unitary Wiltshire Council and they are the authority which is closing a lot of the county's leisure centres.

Steam at Swindon is on our shortlist, as is the Link Centre in Swindon.

The other option is the UWE Conference & Exhibition Centre at Filton. That is where the O Gauge show is held in January, but it is a bit out of our way. It is also someone else's patch because it is already used by another group.

To summarise, our options at the moment, in order of preference are:

1. Link Centre, Swindon.

2. Steam, Swindon.

3. UWE, Filton, Bristol.

None of these is ideal which is why I am asking for other suggestions. However, I am beginning to think that there may not be any.

Geoff Endacott

I'm trying to thing whether there's anywhere suitable in Bath. The Assembly Rooms would be big enough, but are probably way too expensive and have no parking. You would have the grandest model railway exhibition in the world though.

The University is available for exhibitions, and has plenty of parking, but only from June onwards. Ironically that would mean I'd probably miss the show due to it being in the very place I study.

Is the sports hall at Bath Leisure Centre available to hire? I know the Pavilion on the same site is, but I think that's too small.

Slightly further west, would Bristol Council House be viable? Their conference hall is available for exhibitions but I'm not sure it'd be large enough and is likely too expensive anyway.

Paul

Yes.

We had hoped to go to the Oasis in Swindon, but they insisted on all admissions being handled by their ticket staff. We would then be sent a cheque for the total, less commission, up to six weeks after the event.

Apart from the cashflow problems, a single entry point would just not work. On Saturday morning we already have three staff dealing with admissions at two different entrances - and it's still busy for the first hour.

Geoff Endacott

At Railex the stadium staff deal with the ticket sales, they have two dedicated Railex tills and one for other sales, to be fair is makes our life a lot easier, although we do get our money after the stadium take their % cut at the end of the weekend rather than six weeks later.

David

Central Bath is a problem due to the limited, and very expensive, parking.

Bath University might be possible, but where is there a suitable space? I don't remember anything from my time there in the 1980s, but they have done a lot of building.

Geoff Endacott

The hospitality page of the university site says a large exhibition space is available http://www.bath.ac.uk/hospitality/events/summer.html. Either the main Founders Sports Hall or the main sports hall of the Sports Training Village would probably be suitable. They are eight and sixteen badminton courts large respectively, I'm not sure how that relates to square feet.

Paul

I didn't know about the University Sports Hall. A single badminton court if 880 square feet and with the bits around the edge usually gives 1,200 square feet. The Calne Hall (as are most leisure centres) is five courts and about 6,000 square feet. So 16 courts would easily be big enough.

I will make enquiries at the university. The main snag I can see so far is their £5 per car parking charge. Would visitors pay that?

Geoff Endacott

I've no idea about parking at the uni as I've never had reason to use it. They do park and ride from the car parks into town at weekends, so I'd hope something could be arranged if you are holding an exhibition there.

Paul

• RMweb Gold

I didn't know about the University Sports Hall. A single badminton court if 880 square feet and with the bits around the edge usually gives 1,200 square feet. The Calne Hall (as are most leisure centres) is five courts and about 6,000 square feet. So 16 courts would easily be big enough.

I will make enquiries at the university. The main snag I can see so far is their £5 per car parking charge. Would visitors pay that?

Geoff Endacott

From my viewpoint a fiver to park would not be an issue but having to drive to Bath would. So if this does turn out to be the future venue ideally a dedicated 'bus link from the station if feasible please Mr E.

We are likely to run a free shuttle bus from the nearest railway station wherever the exhibition is held.

The options at present, in order of preference, are:

1. Bath (University).

2. Swindon (Oasis/Link/Steam).

3. Filton, Bristol (UWE).

Other suggestions still awaited.

Geoff Endacott

• RMweb Gold

Geoff,

Have you looked at The Centaur at Cheltenham Racecourse? Masses of free parking, the GWR literally the other side of the car park, a HUGE venue (it will hold close on 5000 standing for a gig) one enormous flat floor with a balcony around three sides that could house smaller layouts or trade, a seperate bar area that could also house exhibits...

Andi

Archived