TRAINWEST 2013 - 13 & 14 April

Geoff Endacott

• RMweb Gold

Speaking with my Local Govt hat on, parking is never free. The question is who pays for it: the motorist or others?

Is it fair that people who visit the show by public transport effectively subsidise the cost of parking? When you look at the costs already incurred by a motorist for a, say, 100-mile round trip, £1 or £2 extra for parking is not much to ask - a lot less than you would pay at many seaside resorts and other tourist locations.

There was a thread on RMWeb about the future of exhibitions. They won't survive unless people are willing to meet the true costs of putting them on. Why do they expect a day out at a cracking show like TrainWest to cost them much less than a day out at a tourist attraction?

We said free parking and we mean free parking.

Those who travel by rail do not have to pay extra for the shuttle bus from Chippenham Station.

The cost to us per person of the shuttle bus is more than the cost per person of the car park. If anything, those travelling by car are subsidising those who come by train.

Of course, those who choose to walk don't get a free bus ride or free parking. Are they subsidising everyone else?

Geoff Endacott

The debate about venues that are economically viable, with a minimum of a good standard of catering will continue as schools, sports centres, arts venues etc are squeezed by the austerity measures to become self supporting or contribute a greater percentage of running costs. This coupled with increased expectations of layouts by paying visitors will provide much traffic and comment in the coming months. As a member of the Menasha operating team am looking forward to exhibiting next weekend and am confident that the organisers have done their level best, and more, to produce an excellent show that meets both exhibitors and paying guests alike

I refuse to go to any exhibition where I have to pay to park the car. Similarly I don't go into town as I have to pay to park. It is this typical attitude that the motorist must pay that is killing town centres and putting shops out of business. The same will happen to exhibitions if they start charging for parking. Local Government jobsworths just don't get the bigger picture hence the problems.

• RMweb Gold

I somehow think that what matters to any of us is the total cost of going to an exhibition, not the individual elements of that cost.  As far as I'm concerned Trainwest is one of the more expensive exhibitions for me because I go by car, it is 80 miles each way, and that costs me a fair amount in diesel.  So a parking charge, or indeed the exhibition entry charge, is a minor consideration compared to the cost of the fuel I use to get there.  

Although it doesn't necessarily apply in my case the 'total cost' might also relate to what you spend once there - on purchases from traders and food/drinks etc; it is all a matter of personal choice and how you want to spend your money; if I couldn't afford it I wouldn't go.   But as far as I'm concerned Trainwest is well worth what it costs me to get there, including the personal 'wear & tear' of getting on for 4 hours of driving although some of the route is enjoyable.

• RMweb Premium

I refuse to go to any exhibition where I have to pay to park the car. Similarly I don't go into town as I have to pay to park. It is this typical attitude that the motorist must pay that is killing town centres and putting shops out of business. The same will happen to exhibitions if they start charging for parking. Local Government jobsworths just don't get the bigger picture hence the problems.

You don't have to pay to park at any exhibition or in any town - just park further away and walk the rest. I realise that for some, walking a distance isn't an option but I'm just making the point that everyone seems to expect that they have a 'right' to park anywhere free of charge - the result of that would be chaos!

Although we now have free on site parking for the Derby show, the previous Assembly Rooms venue was in the city centre without a car park - it never stopped over 3000 visitors every year . . . . . .

Mike

• RMweb Gold

Of course there are an awful ot of parking spaces on the side of the road around the Bowerhill Industrial Estate. Maybe we don't need to bother with a car park at all.

Geoff Endacott

As long as you keep the seagulls away - the year before last it cost me more to clean their concentrated efforts off my car than it had cost to get into the exhibition :O 

Scouts with buckets ???

Got to be worth a (voluntary) £1 in the bucket to park ? - that's what happens at Basingstoke - might cover a bit of the cost

Just one pound - I was fleeced!

but worth every penny being well directed into (and out of) a tight spot.

As long as you keep the seagulls away - the year before last it cost me more to clean their concentrated efforts off my car than it had cost to get into the exhibition :O 

Can you get car shampoo in Poundland? I could buy a large batch and put in on the club sales stand for £2 a bottle. That will help to cover the cost of the car park.

Geoff Endacott

• RMweb Gold

Can you get car shampoo in Poundland? I could buy a large batch and put in on the club sales stand for £2 a bottle. That will help to cover the cost of the car park.

Geoff Endacott

I had to find a local pressure wash site and then do it twice - the stuff was set like cement (maybe the show should not be so interesting and I should leave more quickly in order to avoid the seagull's stuff from setting like concrete?  :O )

• RMweb Premium

It's effectiveness is greatly enhanced if you feed the gulls on Cornish Pasties.......

do you recommend any particular type/brand/companys pasties in particular?

My legs ache. I have spent the day pushing leaflets through letterboxes. It is the best way we have of increasing attendance at the show. I don't understand why all clubs don't do it.

Geoff Endacott

Because some shows are in areas where you really don't want the locals turning up...

I can now confirm that we now have an overflow car park. It is at the Melksham Oak School, SN12 6QZ. There will be a shuttle minibus running to and from the exhibition.

Anyone who wants to make a voluntary contribution to the £120 cost of the car park will be welcome to do so!

Geoff Endacott

I have never really seen the benifit of doing this, I have always aimed advertising at our target audence the modeller. ie web forums magizines etc, the only local stuff we tend to do is posters around town in super markets, for Risex our local show we take out adverts on the large town entry which seem to work very well.

My legs ache. I have spent the day pushing leaflets through letterboxes. It is the best way we have of increasing attendance at the show. I don't understand why all clubs don't do it.

Geoff Endacott

• RMweb Gold

That's quite a can of worms you have there.Do you really want to take the lid off?

Sadly, I have to do just that in my life away from modelling.

I accept the point made by those who say that paying for parking impacts on the viability of town centres when compared with parking at supermarkets (not free but paid for by the supermarket as an inducement). But then again, my local large town, Salisbury, has eye-wateringly expensive parking and yet has a hugely successful, busy town centre. I know of other towns that have free (to the motorist) car parking but the High St is still dead on its feet.

Well neither any potential car parking issues, or the Gull deposits will be putting me off my annual Trainwest visit, as it is always a cracking show. Looking forward to seeing the finished Burntwood Lane on Sunday.

Archived