TRAINWEST 2013 - 13 & 14 April

Geoff Endacott

• RMweb Premium

I have found an ideal venue for Trainwest once Chritie Miller closes. It has a huge floor space, excellent lighting and a very large car park. All I need to do now is persuade Sainsbury's to move out for the weekend...

Geoff Endacott

do you have enough nectar points to cover that?

Phil

Stuart has been wounded in the course of duty. People who own dogs should keep them under control.

As Stuart was bitten on private property (but fortunately not on his privates) while delivering leaflets the police are unable to prosecute!

I bet they would have wanted to know about it it Stuart had injured the dog.

Geoff Endacott

• RMweb Premium

I'm glad that Coppell is on the way. You may be opposite an empty space because Sweethome Alabama has just been withdrawn.

Does anyone have a layout which they would like to bring?

Geoff Endacott

Bummer , that was one I was really looking forward to seeing  too .

Stuart has been wounded in the course of duty. People who own dogs should keep them under control.

Sorry to hear that and as a dog owner myself I must add it is not the dog it is the owner that is at fault for poor training.

Though I will add the warning that the public should take heed of warning signs and do not venture into the properties where dogs are clearly advised as "on patrol". Come to our front door and you will be roundly barked at (by me) but not bitten, enter our fenced garden and especially the dogs' compound and you are dog's meat. Though that will depend on how you approach them.

During the summer the dogs frequently lie on the front lawn and the locals who know them are friendly with them, most "unwanted types" get nervous and walk on by (the intended result).

You have to wonder if leafleting such properties is worth the risk/effort.

Sorry to hear that and as a dog owner myself I must add it is not the dog it is the owner that is at fault for poor training.

Though I will add the warning that the public should take heed of warning signs and do not venture into the properties where dogs are clearly advised as "on patrol". Come to our front door and you will be roundly barked at (by me) but not bitten, enter our fenced garden and especially the dogs' compound and you are dog's meat. Though that will depend on how you approach them.

During the summer the dogs frequently lie on the front lawn and the locals who know them are friendly with them, most "unwanted types" get nervous and walk on by (the intended result).

You have to wonder if leafleting such properties is worth the risk/effort.

Having heard the full account from Stuart the dog's bite is backed up by the owners bark, not a nice individual.

Having heard the full account from Stuart the dog's bite is backed up by the owners bark, not a nice individual.

Hmm fashion accessory. Can hardly call himself a dog owner and certainly not dog lover. There is only one excuse for aggressive behaviour and that is if the owner is physically being attacked.

Speedy recovery with no scars.

The withdrawal of Sweethome Alabama has given us the opportunity to give Hedges Hill Cutting another outing.

As for the car parking - we have cancelled the overflow car park at Melksham Oak School because the old running track behind the Christie Miller Centre is available once more. Last year we were told less than a week before the show that the overflow car park we had used since 2007 was no longer available. This year - having arranged an alternative - we were told one day before the exhibition that we could use the runing track again!

Doh!

Geoff Endacott

• RMweb Gold

Great news on the car park, shame about Sweethome and I hope John is ok.

Looking forward to tomorrow as still a good selection of layouts I've not seen and Coppel I really want to see again :)

• RMweb Gold

Excellent show and layouts, bit crowded so I didn't fight to the front to get photos except on Coppel and Warren Lane. Maggie was particularly charming when asked if photography was ok :) some very nice layouts and well worth the entrance fee.

Didn't sample the food as I only had a couple of hours there. One thing that did bring a smile to my face was a Bachmann 158 in Wessex Silver for £125!!!! Need to dig mine out if they're worth that.

• RMweb Premium

I spent several hours at the show today.  Good to talk to Marc Smith on Poynton Sneer.  Nice balance to the exhibition both in scales and traders this year.  

Well done to the TrainWest team!

It was crowded - Saturday attendance was 3% up on last year. Every year we seem to set a  new record.

We usually have about 400 fewer people on Sunday than Saturday so don't let talk of crowds put you off coming tomorrow. It is likely to be a bit quieter.

Geoff Endacott

• RMweb Gold

Excellent show Geoff - and well behaved seagulls although they were circling menacingly when I left.  Definitely worth the diesel I expended although the various dithering aged female persons out on the roads enroute really ought to stay indoors if they're frightened of the rain, don't understand roundabouts, and don't know how to turn on the car lights in poor visibility.

But the show - well that was far, far, better than the driving;  some excellent layouts and a very good mix of subjects and periods modelled and reasonable trade attendance although it did seem a bit heavy with secondhand type stalls (a common trait at shows I'm increasingly finding).  Got most of my pre-planned shopping plus a few semi-unplanned items so that side of things wasn't bad.  Quite a decent cup of tea as well although the hot dog was a bit of a let down (but it was reasonably priced for what it was so I shouldn't complain).  

Definitely looking forward to a repeat performance of the show next year.

That's an interesting point about second-hand stalls because, in theory, there were only two out of 37. Those were Andy Lynch and Keith's Model Railways. However, I did notice that several other traders have started turning to second-hand in order to augment their income. I will have a closer look tomorrow and will consider not inviting some traders to return if they have deviated too far from what they are supposed to be selling.

Geoff Endacott

Just had to say a big "well done" to Geoff and all the team for a great show. We really enjoyed the variety in layouts - size, style, scale etc. Really enjoyed talking to Darren, Ray (Yard Shunter) & Marc (Poynton Sneer) plus good variety of trade stands as well. Parking no problem behind the venue either. The most negative thing was the catering which was limited, but that kind of thing is outside the Club's control. Did I read that the 1st floor cafe was supposed to be open, or did I dream that? Anyway, an excellent day out & will definitely be back next year!!!!

exmoordave

Di and I came acrss from London, and were extremely impressed with the quality. Parked very easily, and had a very good day. Poynton Sneer has to be my favourite - beautiful detail, and so well balanced as a whole - nothing over-done or left out (perception).

Really good show, and well worth the effort that obviously goes into it......

Well I went along yesterday and I have only one complaint Geoff, you didn't manage to fix the weather.

I was directed to park in the overflow car park after following a series of very visible signs to the show through town (much better than the atnav directions that seemed to have me in a field before I actually was). That overflow car parks works really well (the running track part) as it is an easy short cut walk through to the venue.

To the show - a really good selection of layouts and up for special mention are the superb modelling in Nettlebridge (despite nothing running on both of my visits), Coppell just for the sheer fun of watching long trains go by (and the DCC noise wasn't so loud as to spoil the fun), finally, Horsley Bank so much and in such a small space and then after looking it up in the guide to find it is P4! (there was I thinking it might just have been SetTrack with modifications)!

Trade was to the level expected and managed to spend a little on layout scenic items. I like the arrangement of trade round the outside of the hall.

Thanks to everyone for making the show work, its about the outer limits for me but good enough to make the effort.

Archived