NGS Snowplough - Painted samples

Revolution Ben

• RMweb Gold

Hello all,

The N Gauge Society has received painted samples of its exclusive BR Independent Snowplough.

The model is being offered initially in 8 liveries - BR plain black, BR black with hazard stripes (mid 60s), BR Blue, BR Black with Inverness Highland Stag, BR 1970s-80s black, RdF "Snow King" Tinsley Depot Special, Railtrack Black and Network Rail black. The Railtrack and NR models have different numbers on each sides, so when a pair are placed (correctly) back-to-back on the layout they appear to have different numbers.

post-420-128102316939_thumb.jpg

Left to right: BR plain black, BR blue, Rfd triple grey, Railtrack black.

More images, and shots of the versions not shown above, can be found on the NGS website: http://ngaugesociety.com/

The model is being produced for the NGS by Dapol, and pending some minor livery adjustments is on schedule for launch at this year's Warley National Model Railway Exhibition at the NEC.

cheers

Ben A.

• RMweb Gold

Thanks Jo,

Of the eight we are doing, six are in variants of black; one is in blue and one is in RfD 3t grey.

During livery research for this model I identified at least half a dozen that were painted blue at various stages during the 70s.... I'd be interested if any other forum members can offer further insight.

cheers

Ben A.

• RMweb Gold

Hi Alistair

The final price has not yet been decided, but it's likely to be around £15-16. Those who pre-ordered will receive a preferential rate to those who did not of course.

There is a Committee meeting this weekend at which the price will be set, so I anticipate that all the information needed will go on our website soon after. I'll try to post it in this this thread too.

If you wish to collect your model at Warley you will also save on the P&P, which will be an additional cost.

cheers

Ben A.

Guest eddie reffin

Hi Ben,

Am I correct in assuming that the ice breaker won't be done on the NR/Railtrack ones due to the small size of the prototype. Also, what weight do these crackers come in at?

Cheers

Eddie

• RMweb Gold

Hi Eddie,

The Railtrack and NR versions are supplied with a separately moulded icebreaker for the customer to fit if desired (having them factory-fitted would have impacted significantly on the price.)

The models are around 15g in weight (a Farish MGR hopper weighs 10g for comparison.) I have tested a Class 37 with a snowplough at each end around radius 1 curves (including S-bends and points) and found no issues with running or track-holding.

cheers

Ben A.

• RMweb Gold

Hello folks,

For those interested the NGS Committee has set the price of the BR Independent Snowplough at £15.50. P&P per order is the standard NGS rate of £3.50 (so for 2 models = £1.75, 4 models = £87.5p etc.)

Thosen who pre-ordered before May 31st 2010 earn a discount of £1, making the price £14.50 per model.

The next r-t-r model will be revealed at the N Gauge International show in September 11/12 at Leamington.

cheers

Ben A.

• RMweb Gold

Hi Alistair

I'm not sure I follow. The £3.50 shipping/handling charge is a fixed amount per order, not per model, so the more Snowploughs ordered, the cheaper the rate per model.

Or have I misunderstood your posting?

cheers

Ben A.

• 3 months later...

Hi all,

at the recent Warley 2010 Exhibition, the N-gauge society had its new ZZA Snowploughs and what wonderful models they are. Here are some pictures of a Network Rail black model.

More details are available from the N-gauge society via their website: NGS Website

Members can only purchase the model but if you're intetested in one and are not a member, consider supporting the hobby by joining the NGS, using the details from the link above.

Well worth a look and there are plenty of liveries available.

Hope you like!

Cheers,

Ixion.

NGS/Dapol Network Rail Black ZZA Snowplough, side view:

post-6532-023917900 1290462358_thumb.jpg

NGS/Dapol Network Rail Black ZZA Snowplough, front angled view:

post-6532-037419300 1290462371_thumb.jpg

NGS/Dapol Network Rail Black ZZA Snowplough, rear angled view:

post-6532-051088500 1290462389_thumb.jpg

• 1 month later...

My snowplough turned up today (after the snow had finally let the post through, ironically), and it really is a beautiful little thing. Top marks to Ben and everyone involved at the society, and Dapol. Having had very few exciting new products I've really wanted in N for a while now, this really beautifully modelled item should look great being propelled round the layout now!

David

While these models look lovely - its a real shame the concave shape of the 'nose' wasnt addressed when the cad images were shown. The 4mm scale version has the same error - but it is nice to see the N gauge society model has some extra rivel detail , and the correct number on hinges on the side plates.

As a result i havent ordered a pair - I really fancied the BR Blue ones.

Heres a piccy of an out of the box 4mm model - left and the reshaped nose - still not finished yet (2 years and counting!) on the right.

post-6893-0-05867500-1293826621_thumb.jpg

tfn

Jon

• RMweb Gold

Hello Jon,

We did try to correct this, along with the more obvious angle that the vertical plough blade intersects the angled horizontal surface, which is also wrong on the 4mm model. Certainly the concave sides are less pronounced on our version, as can be seen comparing the photo of the Network Rail version above to the 4mm one in your posting, however I agree they are not quite as straight as they should be.

Unfortunately, among all the other alterations that we wanted to make from the 4mm model (side rivet detail, side flap detail, contour of footstep rims, positioning of axles, rivets on dumb buffers, shape of icicle breaker among others) the additional corrections to the concave plough sides were missed.

I'm sorry about this, as signing off on the CAD drawings was my responsibility, however I am still pretty happy with the model overall and have ordered six myself!

I believe the Network Rail version is still available (but selling fast) however the "early BR" black version with stripes (Code NGK 42-2) is now sold out, and stocks are running very low on triple grey "Snow King" (NGK 42-6) and Railtrack black (NGK 42-7). Of course, if Snow King sells out we may be spurred into producing a "Snow Queen" to go with it!

cheers

Ben A.

• 2 weeks later...

i have received my railtrack examples. very nice looking models. the quality is fantastic. maybe could do with being a little heavier. i think it is a shame that people are buying them and putting them on ebay. currently selling for £50 each approx. they should have thier membership cancelled. let the members who want them buy them. the non members should join if they want one. rant over. time for a pic.

post-6482-0-51412800-1294959871_thumb.jpg

• RMweb Premium

i have received my railtrack examples. very nice looking models. the quality is fantastic. maybe could do with being a little heavier. i think it is a shame that people are buying them and putting them on ebay. currently selling for £50 each approx. they should have thier membership cancelled. let the members who want them buy them. the non members should join if they want one. rant over. time for a pic.

I can't believe people are daft enough to pay £50 for one of the NGS Snowploughs. For less than that you can get a plough and year's membership. Perhaps the NGS should put a "by it now" on ebay of a year's membership and a model.

Happy modelling.

Steven B.

I can't believe people are daft enough to pay £50 for one of the NGS Snowploughs. For less than that you can get a plough and year's membership. Perhaps the NGS should put a "by it now" on ebay of a year's membership and a model.

Happy modelling.

Steven B.

Oh yes, there are some very daft people bidding on Ebay. wacko.gif

Hi Guys;

Very happy with my Inverness version....it will be paired with a kit built Beilhack in the siding...although I should have bought two. I'm hoping that my order got in for a pair of Network Rail versions before sellout.

As for E-Bay...once you pay your money to the NGS, the item is yours and there is no loyalty to keeping it...you may sell it on as you see fit. I believe it is called Capitalism. That is not to say I approve...just a hard fact!!

Back to the plough....I reckon if the NGS tooled up a Beilhack, then it would be another winner....and I'm looking forward to the QM Brake too!!!

Later

STU in KNID

Archived