Wencombe/Kingsbridge Regis/Louville Lane

westerner

• 2 weeks later...

81C,(sorry I do not know your name) an interesting question> With the layout nearing completion there have been times over the last couple of years that I have asked myself much the same question. At times even "what have I done". It has certainly presented many challenges that were not present at Wencombe, the biggest one being all those buildings. On Wencombe they were either RTP (the pub and the railway cottages or just simple kits or buildings that had been used on the layout before that Abergower. The only building where I had to do a fair bit off carving about was the Creamery. At Kingsbridge all the buildings had to be built and as I said at the time NOT my strong point, that being green scenery. However I'm glad I have done it and I am proud of how the buildings have come out. There 4 RTP new buildings but all the rest are either carved about Walthers kits (Oh why does a British manufacture not make kits like theirs. An absolute joy to put together and very easy to kit bash).

At the moment I have not played or should I say operated the layout very often, but then the same could be said about Wencombe. I suspect that could be said about many of us who post on RMWeb. Perhaps the enjoyment (sometimes masochistic) come s from the building and creation of the railway.

The harbour which I suppose I need not have built is also interesting and I hope (as a sailor) I will be able to moor my boats properly something sadly missing on many layouts with boats in harbours and or rivers.

To try and answer your question to be honest I am pleased with it but is it better than Wencombe whose to say? Am more pleased with it the honest answer is I don't know.

Edited by westerner
  • Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Rob a couple of overview photos. There was some debate on the Peterborough thread about including none layout background, something I do not normally do, but for these shots I've included parts of the room not normally seen here and then cropped the bulk of it out.

attachicon.gifwide view f1.jpg

attachicon.gifwide view f1 edited.jpg

A slightly wider view.

attachicon.gifwide view 2.jpg

attachicon.gifwide view 2 edited.jpg

Alan, I do like seeing how layouts fit into their environment, so thanks for showing us these.

I have to keep my room tidy because of the grandchildren, they would soon get into trouble in your room, especially the youngest. We had a new kitchen installed last year, and without thinking it through, had long handles fitted to a set of kitchen draws, the first thing the youngest did when she arrived was to treat them like a climbing wall!

Nothing wrong with clutter as long as you don't see it!  Mine, boxes and stuff is hidden away under the layout.  No tools or paint though as these are in the garage which is a clutter in itself!

Brian.

Edited by brianusa

Believe it or not the room was tidied a couple of weeks ago, and then what happened I started doing things (modelling) again. And of course I won't put that away (what ever it is) because I'll be using it again tomorrow and so on and so on and so on.....................................................................................on. Oh and now the room is as messy untidy as it was before I cleaned and tidied up.

edited for typos

Edited by westerner
  • Like 1

Looks all VERY tidy to me.

Nice to see the full extent of the layout and its context within the available space.

And yet the Layout looks much bigger when photographed, as did Wencombe of course.

Very well planned Alan.

• RMweb Premium

I will refrain from making an obvious comment about a certain feature of the room.

Not sure I would let the real estate agent use those photos of the room if you put the house on the market.

81C,(sorry I do not know your name) an interesting question> With the layout nearing completion there have been times over the last couple of years that I have asked myself much the same question. At times even "what have I done". It has certainly presented many challenges that were not present at Wencombe, the biggest one being all those buildings. On Wencombe they were either RTP (the pub and the railway cottages or just simple kits or buildings that had been used on the layout before that Abergower. The only building where I had to do a fair bit off carving about was the Creamery. At Kingsbridge all the buildings had to be built and as I said at the time NOT my strong point, that being green scenery. However I'm glad I have done it and I am proud of how the buildings have come out. There 4 RTP new buildings but all the rest are either carved about Walthers kits (Oh why does a British manufacture not make kits like theirs. An absolute joy to put together and very easy to kit bash).

At the moment I have not played or should I say operated the layout very often, but then the same could be said about Wencombe. I suspect that could be said about many of us who post on RMWeb. Perhaps the enjoyment (sometimes masochistic) come s from the building and creation of the railway.

The harbour which I suppose I need not have built is also interesting and I hope (as a sailor) I will be able to moor my boats properly something sadly missing on many layouts with boats in harbours and or rivers.

To try and answer your question to be honest I am pleased with it but is it better than Wencombe whose to say? Am more pleased with it the honest answer is I don't know.

Is it better, yes, who can say? What's for sure is that both very fine layouts indeed. As you've noted, you've grown as a modeller with the buildings and such a challenge stops one becoming stale perhaps.

It will be interesting when you do get around to operating the layout whether your view changes. Operating a terminus will be more involved than a through station and you have the fun of the turntable too, 

Modelling the harbour was a really good idea, a good use of what otherwise would be dead space and really sets the scene.

All the best

Jon

Guest 7007GreatWestern

Having now seen the room in which Wencombe resides I'm even more impressed than I was before. You've managed to compact a busy double track section of mainline railway into a modestly sized room while the layout itself feels spacious. You've also managed to confine your workbench, spray booth tools and resources within the same limited space, which I imagine is greatly appreciated by the domestic authorities! I've learned a lot from this series of photos, in particular how much can be achieved in limited space through good planning. Well done!

Andy.

After a year of putting it off I've at last got round to "doing" the water in the harbour. I've decided to it in the way demonstrated by Craig Tiley in the April 2014 issue of Railway Modeller. It involves drawing around the boats and tacking strips of styrene around the line creating a barrier for the textured water to butt up against, thus hopefully, when the boats are replaced, they will look as if they are sitting in the water rather than being on top of it. To get a clear line I had to repaint the harbour with a lightish colour so that I could see the line. After  that was done the strips of styrene were tacked with plastic solvent into place.

post-7090-0-42754600-1485468498_thumb.jpg

a second coat was the painted and as you can see it is a green colour.

post-7090-0-00422800-1485468565_thumb.jpg

Tomorrow (Friday ) I hope to paint the harbour with a flat coat the intended colour, before adding the texture material and repainting in the same colour as the previous coat and stippling it to add the texture. The strips will then be lifted and the cavity for the boats will be painted black ( the colour of the lower hulls). The water surface will then be given several coats of Klear.

The eagle eyed amongst will notice that the row of cottages on the left now has a pavement and the boat that will be in the harbour next to them now has masts and simple rigging.

• Like 14