Airfix/Dapol j94 kit

i have a Dapol j94 kit that i wish to build, but i would like it to be a runner, is there a chassis available, exept the Hornby one, which would fit.? if i could obtain a Hornby one is there much 'bashing' involved to marry the two together and has anyone done it?

i have a Dapol j94 kit that i wish to build, but i would like it to be a runner, is there a chassis available, exept the Hornby one, which would fit.? if i could obtain a Hornby one is there much 'bashing' involved to marry the two together and has anyone done it?

I can't see the point of using a Hornby/Dapol chassis - as the the loco is pretty good as it comes.

Have a look at Adam's blog -

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php/blog/78/entry-4483-from-take-one-kitmaster-austerity/

Lots of stuff in there!

I seem to recall the geometry of the Hornby offering being wrong in the tank area. I asked Chris Gibbon of High Level kits a few years ago whether he had any plans for a J94 chassis, and he said he had looked into it but decided against due to the inaccuracies of the Hornby body.

If I was to be a real pedant about it the major problem with the 'Austerity' saddle tank (note the lack of J94!) in 4mm is that no one does the correct wheel style for them, unless you are going to model one of the Yorkshire Engine Co. built examples which had nice round spoke cast steel centers (http://www.embsayboltonabbeyrailway.org.uk/photos/cb01.jpg) rather than the very distinctive square and boxy cast iron style carried by all other examples (http://www.embsayboltonabbeyrailway.org.uk/historic/jfc02.jpg). But that's just me! :rolleyes:

If I was to be a real pedant about it the major problem with the 'Austerity' saddle tank (note the lack of J94!) in 4mm is that no one does the correct wheel style for them, unless you are going to model one of the Yorkshire Engine Co. built examples which had nice round spoke cast steel centres (http://www.embsayboltonabbeyrailway.org.uk/photos/cb01.jpg) rather than the very distinctive square and boxy cast iron style carried by all other examples (http://www.embsayboltonabbeyrailway.org.uk/historic/jfc02.jpg). But that's just me! :rolleyes:

That will be news to the proprietors of Alan Gibson, as it is to me. Sharman used to do something similar (but not as good).

http://www.alangibsonworkshop.com/Catalogue.pdf

Page 5, item ref. G4851N

There were a couple of Hunslet built examples with cast steel wheels as well. With regard to bodies, I've used both the Airfix/Dapol and the Dapol/Hornby. Without wishing to overdo this (see my blog and RMweb mk III workbench links in my sig' for the two austerities I've built), both of these are dimensionally accurate - compared to the Don Townsley drawing published in ModelRail and Model Railways Illustrated), though the latter has some issues with the underside of the boiler: there are several boxes forward of the firebox to accommodate the motor and to do a proper job the whole underside of the boiler has to be cut out and replaced.

RT Models are working on a new etched chassis apparently, but I've no idea when it will appear. That said, it isn't a desperately difficult chassis to scratchbuild, though it might be worth asking Mercian if they can supply their's you aren't so confident.

HTH

Adam

Told you it had been a while! Yes they look nice, but is that 7mm?

Oh, and being a pedant again (bad habit I know!) but... erm 2002 to present is only 9 years :lol:

If you were to follow the link to my workbench thread or those given in my earlier posts, you would know that this is a 4mm model. This one is a Dapol version of the Kitmaster/Airfix kit. If you'd read the post immediately properly, the words 'and they weren't new then' (i.e. in 2002) might cover the difference? ;)

Adam

• RMweb Gold

I'm not certain how long they've been available but it must be more than ten years since I would have brought my first set c. 2002 and they weren't new then. As for what they look like, does this help (not perfect, I realise)? I've toned it down a bit since.

llewellynii.jpg

Adam

Not toned down or otherwise, there's something very appealing about that model and its paint scheme.

Not toned down or otherwise, there's something very appealing about that model and its paint scheme.

That's very kind of you Al, I'm glad someone else shares my peculiar taste for outlandish (and accurate!) liveries...

Adam

• RMweb Gold

To answer the question of when, (hopefully next week) that depends when the next test etch arrives and if everything is correct.

I have the first test sat in front of me which some tweaking has been made and some other bits added.

The chassis is designed for both a scale body and the Hornby/Dapol rtr body.

I should also have some new Austerity tank detailing bits available soon but can't say when as i'm working everyday at the moment at work so not getting the time to get much done sadly.

That will be news to the proprietors of Alan Gibson, as it is to me. Sharman used to do something similar (but not as good).

http://www.alangibsonworkshop.com/Catalogue.pdf

Page 5, item ref. G4851N

There were a couple of Hunslet built examples with cast steel wheels as well. With regard to bodies, I've used both the Airfix/Dapol and the Dapol/Hornby. Without wishing to overdo this (see my blog and RMweb mk III workbench links in my sig' for the two austerities I've built), both of these are dimensionally accurate - compared to the Don Townsley drawing published in ModelRail and Model Railways Illustrated), though the latter has some issues with the underside of the boiler: there are several boxes forward of the firebox to accommodate the motor and to do a proper job the whole underside of the boiler has to be cut out and replaced.

RT Models are working on a new etched chassis apparently, but I've no idea when it will appear. That said, it isn't a desperately difficult chassis to scratchbuild, though it might be worth asking Mercian if they can supply their's you aren't so confident.

HTH

Adam

Regards Robert

RT Models

www.rtmodels.co.uk

When I did my 'Austerity', I used a Perseverence etched chassis. They do seem to be difficult to come by, but perhaps worth looking out for on EBay etc.?

On eBay now, there is an Impetus J94 chassis together with the old NB Models cast body kit. Not long after the start of this particular topic, the bid price shot up to about £31!!

• 2 weeks later...

I used a perserverence chassis and contrary to an earlier reply I found it straight forward to build. As long as you can solder no probs.I fitted a branchline motor and gear box and built it as a rigid chassis, it was really easy to put together, and I certainly would use the Perserverence again in fact I probably will as I've just started putting the wheels in motion(pardon the pun)for an industrial layout and I need a few more austerities-Si

in fact I probably will

If you find a source, let me know :)

The proprietor of Puffers told me that production has completely finished and he has the last remants of stock there. Sadly no austerity chassis, I looked! If there had been I'd have been buying! :lol:

But there'll be RT Models' chassis kit soon :)

• RMweb Gold

you will all be pleased to know that i got the test etches yesterday and they have gone together really well and nothings missing, unlike one other test etch for something else!

Once i have fully finished it tomorrow night, i will post photos.

I won't know the retail price till i order the production batch, i would say it will be no more than £20 but we will have to see what the final price will be.

This is a very detailed chassis akin to High Level kits although the inside valve gear itsn't quite as detailed as theirs but is easy to build as i intend all my kits and parts to be.

If anyone wishes to pre-order please let me know off group.

Also in the next few days i will be making a start on the moulds for a replacement Austerity chimney and the glass fibre stoker chimney as well.

Regards Robert

RT Models

RT Models

Archived