Peco N gauge BR Ferry Tube

hmrspaul

That's pretty cool, and it must be quite nice to be acknowledged for your photos and research.

I wonder how many of us have you to thank for that repainting / weathering / renumbering job? Personally, I've spent many hours browsing your collection with ideas to repaint this and renumber that. So, following Peco's lead and taking advantage of an opportune time, I'd too like to thank you for probably the finest collection on the web. :)

Paul

• RMweb Gold

I wonder how many of us have you to thank for that repainting / weathering / renumbering job? Personally, I've spent many hours browsing your collection with ideas to repaint this and renumber that. So, following Peco's lead and taking advantage of an opportune time, I'd too like to thank you for probably the finest collection on the web. :)

Paul

I'll second that. Every time I go on I find another project to put on the "to do" list. I couldn't have got all the transfers right on my TPM ARC PTA's if it wasn't for your site!

Dear Stuey and Paul

Thanks to both of you replying in such a positive way :rolleyes: . As the posting was read and ignored I was sincerely worried I had crossed some sort of forum protocol in posting anything about Peco and N gauge :blink: , or even something I had given a nudge to, during a discussion at last years York show! Peco, small trader :huh: . Their previous production of Ciba Geigy tanks appears to have gone unnoticed and they are also exceptional in some of the lettering. As, indeed, has their new production of a crane in 7mm.

Yes I get a kick out of seeing my photographs reproduced, and even more if one of the designers consults me - as has happened recently. One of my earliest 'kicks' was Bachmann doing the bogie Queen Mary brake van as a YTX at Eastleigh on 15 November 1982; superb. I started photographing rolling stock 45 years ago because I was interested in modelling them (Bob Essery had written in Railway Modeller - go to your local yard and record what you see - not so easy when you are 15!). So, although it has developed into a historians interest I still have modelling as the heart of why I do this hobby. It is just a shame that the larger companies are not so generous in recognising the help they get.

Paul Bartlett

Hi Paul

can I repeat the thanks for your collection, but also ask if the top one of these is 'dutch' with the colour reproduction odd on the photo, or is it another colour scheme and if so what is it?

Ian

Hi Paul

can I repeat the thanks for your collection, but also ask if the top one of these is 'dutch' with the colour reproduction odd on the photo, or is it another colour scheme and if so what is it?

Ian

Ian

NR 7H is 'Dutch'. Must admit I cannot see much wrong with the colour. It even, quite correctly, omits the exchange code 21.

The only one of these I think is a bit doubtful is the Rail Stores livery, which I think should be a bit greener - but I have no idea what BR called the colour and it is a very elusive colour.

What they have omitted is on the revenue liveries, and I think it is very odd to do so, is the very distinctive Ferry marking which should wrap around the corner plates - it is not as if they are small!

I'll admit I was fortunate to get them back when I showed them at the club last night - and we don't have a 2mm layout!

Paul Bartlett

What they have omitted is on the revenue liveries, and I think it is very odd to do so, is the very distinctive Ferry marking which should wrap around the corner plates - it is not as if they are small!

Hi Paul. That was the very first livery the model came out in (around 1967/8?). The vast majority since have been ficticious until now!

As the posting was read and ignored I was sincerely worried I had crossed some sort of forum protocol in posting anything about Peco and N gauge :blink: , or even something I had given a nudge to, during a discussion at last years York show! Peco, small trader :huh: . Their previous production of Ciba Geigy tanks appears to have gone unnoticed and they are also exceptional in some of the lettering. As, indeed, has their new production of a crane in 7mm.

Not ignored, just hadn't seen it yet!

I wrote a blog entry about Peco over a year ago (although the formatting seems to be knackered)...

http://www.rmweb.co....hat-about-peco/

...talking about how we tend to take them for granted - you're right, their new releases don't get talked about much on here. Regarding their N gauge wagons, the standard of printing is still excellent (perhaps Farish have overtaken them now on very small/fine lettering). There's not much wrong with the wagon bodies, but the chassis' are starting to show their age. As I said in the blog entry, a lot of their range has been picked off now - conflats, brake vans, tank wagons - but if they were to look a bit further afield they could find some wagons that are unmodelled. I'm currently hacking about some of their plate wagons for example - the body is fine, but if they plonked it onto a new chassis they would have a winner.

(it's actually the same chassis on the tube wagons above, the tooling must be... 30+ years old now...?)

Paul

I had just found it too... and I have to say I'm impressed. As will most of us who use your site as THE resource.

There have been many discussions on here and on the yahoo groups about the uses for some of the Peco wagons. It's only to easy to hang only the OAA, OBA, OCA's of the back of a loco for freight/dept rakes. I am trying for a bit of variety by using the Farish offerings mixed in with some chivers kit built items. These will make a welcome addition. I fancy one of each at least, a couple of F's and more than one H if there was more than one done in dutch.

Well done

rgds

Mark

Not ignored, just hadn't seen it yet!

I wrote a blog entry about Peco over a year ago (although the formatting seems to be knackered)...

http://www.rmweb.co....hat-about-peco/

...talking about how we tend to take them for granted - you're right, their new releases don't get talked about much on here. Regarding their N gauge wagons, the standard of printing is still excellent (perhaps Farish have overtaken them now on very small/fine lettering). There's not much wrong with the wagon bodies, but the chassis' are starting to show their age. As I said in the blog entry, a lot of their range has been picked off now - conflats, brake vans, tank wagons - but if they were to look a bit further afield they could find some wagons that are unmodelled. I'm currently hacking about some of their plate wagons for example - the body is fine, but if they plonked it onto a new chassis they would have a winner.

(it's actually the same chassis on the tube wagons above, the tooling must be... 30+ years old now...?)

Aside from another vote of thanks to Paul for a substantial and informative resource that is personally my first port of call for appropriate reference material I'd like to comment on Dave's comment:

you're right, their new releases don't get talked about much on here.

You're right; they don't. The Beer stealth marketing approach seems to be to quietly produce a product, possibly report it in the Modeller and ship out to the retailers. They don't seem to engage the 'media' in the way that B&H do - I shall make a point of addressing this from my side when I see them in the next week or so.

• RMweb Premium

As has been said nice application of the liveries but the underframe is looking a little on the lumpy side now.

It should be possible to replace it with the one under the Farish TTA. Failing that the 2mmSA do a couple of 15' chassis, one of which might be suitable.

I'm tempted by getting one of the Rail Stores blue/grey ones - it'll look quite nice on a short train with the Farish VEA in the same livery.

Happy modelling.

Steven B.

It should be possible to replace it with the one under the Farish TTA. Failing that the 2mmSA do a couple of 15' chassis, one of which might be suitable.

I'm tempted by getting one of the Rail Stores blue/grey ones - it'll look quite nice on a short train with the Farish VEA in the same livery.

Happy modelling.

Steven B.

The whole wagon is way too short, these were long wagons 32ft oh (same as Bogie bolster E/Turbot) with 18ft 6 in wheelbase.

Lovely drawing in

Bartlett, Paul W. & Mann, Trevor., (1983) BR Tube Wagons and some related conversions. Model Railway Constructor Annual 1984 pp 111 - 118, edited by Leigh, Chris. and

Bartlett, P., Larkin, D., Mann, T., Silsbury, R., and Ward, A. (1985) An illustrated history of BR wagons, Volume 1 published by Oxford Publishing Company, 192 pages. :P

Paul Bartlett

It might be interesting to try to combine the detail parts of the large drop doors (hinges, strapping, etc.) and so on, carefully sliced off with a sharp blade, with the Chivers standard standard BR tube wagon, partly stripped bare to planks, to make a more accurate Ferry tube, though then the suspension would also need changing to UIC twin links too. I guess livery would become irrevelant too :unsure:

• RMweb Premium

I don't think it would be worth replacing with the Farish TTA chassis; that would simply be a better detailed wrong chassis!

I was only suggesting what could be done about the lumpy chassis. Correcting the length of the wagon would be a much bigger task - probably better suited to scratch building with some etched parts for the hinges, strapping etc.

Now who do we know who's not released any new wagon kits for a while... ;)

Happy modelling.

Steven B.

So how accurate are these models? I know very little about the prototype so any info would be appreciated.

I am in no way a wagon expert but generally speaking the wagon is too short and the underframe needs trimming here and there to reduce some of the 'depth' to it (it's not up to modern standards but far from being a disaster by any means). Not a lot you can do about the overall length, but the chassis can be modified to make it finer by cutting away some of the excess plastic. The brake lever thingie on the right you’re pretty much stuck with, it’s not a separate fitting and I doubt if that could be removed without knackering the solebar in the process. And you’ve got to get your eyes fairly close to the wagon anyway to see that it’s a bit chunky so may as well leave it. The main mod is reducing the depth of the right-angled hangey down bit in the middle (like I said, I’m not a wagon expert… :D ). If you want to make any attempt to improve the fidelity either cut or file the back of that off or hack it away completely and replace with some styrene (I haven’t got one to hand but I think it’s about 2mm deep, which is pretty ‘meaty’ in anyone’s book). I’m not even sure if it’s prototypical actually, a check on Paul’s site might be worthwhile.

The only reason I’m familiar with the chassis is – as I said – because it’s the same as that used on the plate wagon which I’m currently detailing, and that highlights something to keep an eye on with Peco wagons as they do like to plonk a variety of bodies onto the same chassis! For the plate wagon the chassis needs bits cutting off or, for some types, bits adding, but I think the biggest error is the Express Parcels and white Fish vans, as both of these are over length (and the wheels aren’t even in the right place), and also the pallet van which goes the other way and is undersized I believe. All of these trundle around on the same 15ft chassis, which is also used for the tanker wagons too, as well as the wagons shown above.

As ever, a rummage through Paul’s excellent site for prototype photos is the way to go.

Archived