Building a Stanier mogul

Timara

If there's one loco that seems to constantly appear in "w*shl*sts", it's the Stanier mogul. I've long wanted one myself, but have only recently got round to getting further with using a spare Hornby 8F body and the remains of a Bachmann Crab that I bought a number of years ago. My chosen subject is 42967 of Chester (Midland) shed, though it had been a resident of Mold Junction until June 1961.

Spurred on recently by a quote in my weathering thread, I've decided to get on with it.

So whats next out of the dirt factory? oh and hows the Stanier Mogul coming on? smile.gif

So in answer to that above quote, here's how things stand so far:

post-6712-0-38855900-1303491064_thumb.jpg

Now, please note that the above has been placed together for the photos only. The cylinders are yet to be given the extra brackets above them and I'm yet to source a current s/d 8F motion bracket (anyone got a spare kicking about?). The wheels are ones from the original Crab chassis and again only shoved underneath to give me a rough idea how the final model will look. I'll be using wheels from the Alan Gibson range - it isn't cost effective to get 3mm axle 5'6" bevel rimmed wheels when it's far less effort to just open out the chassis with a tapered reamer to 1/8". Valve gear will be a mix of RTR and after-market components, but that's much later!

Couple of close-ups of the bodywork, where the real work has taken place. I'm rather pleased that the mogul and 8F share a common smokebox and boiler, though the fireboxes are rather different. I've shortened the firebox to the required length, ready for when I get the cab side of things sorted out. Various firebox furniture will be added and removed as appropriate, including mudhole covers and the central strapping (the original being about a scale foot too far back).

post-6712-0-80084100-1303491405_thumb.jpg

post-6712-0-12359200-1303491462_thumb.jpg

The new running plates, at the required height, are 40 thou black plasticard. Front frames ahead of the smokebox are 20 thou and there's a piece of 80 thou for the step between them. I cut the original bodywork back to basic framework to allow everything to fit pretty much perfectly. I'm trying to understand why on earth I've left this for so long, as it wasn't hard at all to do..... huh.gif

Final view showing the front end a bit better. I'm yet to add the drop-down sections of the running plate, which will be from two specially made+curved pieces of 40 thou, as per the remainder.

post-6712-0-50341000-1303491932_thumb.jpg

A spare chimney from a Hornby Stanier tank was used as it's just perfect. The dome/top-feed cover is from 247 Developments. A new superheater cover was added from a piece of plastic sprue - never throw anything away! laugh.gif

I *think* that's about it for now. Any comments or observations are welcome though!

Cheers,

Guest LNER Tom

Lovely stuff Tim :)

The Stanier Mogul I've always found an interesting looking loco and the boiler doesn't look like an 8F boiler, interesting illusion created :)

Clock's ticking ;) lets see what happens in the next few months :)

Particularly in the light of the current MRJ 206, where Mick Moore builds a Stanier Mogul.....using a DJH 8F boiler, amongst other things.....

Indeed! Having ogled the model in question several times at the Retford Roadshows, it gave me a bit of a boost when Mick told me how he'd done his at Nottingham. The irony is, you can't see the rivets on the cab on his - he said the cabsides were so inaccurate that he flushed them and you'd never know!

I'm planning on using the Bachmann cab with the sides lengthened. Might see about using a plethora of Archers rivet transfers on it if I deem it worth the effort. Thoughts on that anyone?

If I'm going to be really picky, the boiler centreline should really be just under a mil closer to the buffer centreline, but it doesn't really show that much. The extra fraction of a mil gained above the bufferbeam has helped that and it's virtually vanished.

Shall see what the weekend brings...... ;)

• RMweb Premium

It's looking really good Tim - you'll have it finished a month or so before a rtr "announcement" if my luck's anything to go by :rolleyes: .

Model shop limited editions being what they are, you just never know these days.........

It's looking really good Tim - you'll have it finished a month or so before a rtr "announcement" if my luck's anything to go by :rolleyes: .

Model shop limited editions being what they are, you just never know these days.........

That's another reason I want it out of the way and running ;). Still, I'll have had 2-3 years of enjoyment with this model before one hits the shops, if it even gets announced!

Incidentally, I had thought of doing one of the first ten locos with the different top feed arrangements and modified cylinders, but finding a good enough shot of the loco in question (42950) has proven a bit of an uphill struggle.

Cheers,

Quick update:

The heavily modified Bachmann Crab cab is now in place. In order to get it to fit, I've had to chop down the middle and take about 2mm out of the overall width. two strips of plasticard to strengthen the join as well as the cab roof vent fixed in the open position to add strength. The sides have been deepened with 60 thou black plasticard, thinned to about 50 thou. The cylinders are now set at the correct height and I've put the crosshead+connecting rod in place to check things run well enough. So far, so good!

post-6712-0-62542400-1303655827_thumb.jpg

post-6712-0-21325800-1303655849_thumb.jpg

I've used the 8F backhead as well, which adds to the general strength of it all. The cab floor is in place and has been built up underneath to allow a snug fit to the chassis. The dragbeam and lower cabside valences, along with steps, are yet to be added. Remaining body details will follow afterwards.

post-6712-0-92252400-1303655863_thumb.jpg

I'm hoping to get most of the work on the body done over the next week or so, all being well. Rather enjoying this little project :).

I hope Bachmann is reading this thread. No, I'm not trying to p*ss you off honest. It's just that the Stanier 5MT was just an everyday loco overshadowed by the Fowler 'Crab' in its day, and yet for some reason it makes a very attractive and pleasing model. Yours is coming along very nicely.

It is a shame no one produces the correct diameter bevell-rim drivers but I wonder how many modellers have noticed the ones on their Stanier 2-6-4T are not bevel rim.....?

I hope Bachmann is reading this thread. No, I'm not trying to p*ss you off honest. It's just that the Stanier 5MT was just an everyday loco overshadowed by the Fowler 'Crab' in its day, and yet for some reason it makes a very attractive and pleasing model. Yours is coming along very nicely.

It is a shame no one produces the correct diameter bevell-rim drivers but I wonder how many modellers have noticed the ones on their Stanier 2-6-4T are not bevel rim.....?

Thanks Larry :). As it happens, Alan Gibson produce the correct 5' 6" 17 spoke bevel rimmed wheels, which is what I'll be using on this one. They're one of the many things on my shopping list for ExpoEM in 3 weeks time. Coupling rods from the same source too.

Interesting point regarding the Stanier 4P tank. My converted one has a set of (correct) Gibson 5' 8" drivers on it, though I'm yet to fit balance weights. My second one is still 00.

EDIT: before I add the front footplate drop-down, here's a close-up of the completed cylinder block. Not bad for an hour's work I think.

post-6712-0-99177800-1303667043_thumb.jpg

Cheers,

Tim

Guest Tom F

Oh she is really coming together nicely now :) very much looking like a Mogul! :D

Quick question, now this might sound silly...so I apologise now :lol: . The cab you say has come from a Crab....what makes the crab cab more suitable than say alterations to the 8F cab?

Tom

Better to have the correct cab ( ie same as Hughes' "Crab") than a re-worked 8F cab. The Stanier mogul was designed and drawn up at Horwich so has much commonality with the LYR engine.

Tim: photo of 2950 in LMS livery on p55 of "An Illustrated History of LMS Locomotives Vol.5" by Essery & Jenkinson.

Better to have the correct cab ( ie same as Hughes' "Crab") than a re-worked 8F cab. The Stanier mogul was designed and drawn up at Horwich so has much commonality with the LYR engine.

Beat me to it ;). I very nearly went down the etched route, but the path of "less cost" definitely appealed.

Tim: photo of 2950 in LMS livery on p55 of "An Illustrated History of LMS Locomotives Vol.5" by Essery & Jenkinson.

Thanks for that. Rather academic now as I've looked closer at a shot of it (as 42950) on the 'net and it has a welded tender behind it. 42967 has a riveted one, thus it's staying as originally intended!

Cheers,

I like how Tim has tackled this project. I am old enough to remember the Model Railway Constructor in the late 50s and early 60s - so prehistoric that Chris Leigh was still at achool - when there was so much less around that could be taken from the box and quite a lot of it was a bit ropy to put it mildly. To fill the many gaps in what could be bought you had the likes of a [very] young Alan Williams cutting up Kitmaster coaches to make 4-CEPs and the late great Mike Bryant coming up with innovative ways of motorising the same maker's plastic loco kits. These are just two examples of good old fashioned lateral thinking. I was beginning to think that the modelling community of today has lost the knack of thinking laterally but Tim's Mogul suggests that I was mistaken. Hoorah!

Chris

Hi Tim,

It's certainly looking good and will be a very useful loco. Do you remember seeing my half-built effort on the shelf, when you visited ? Having acquired a spare Hornby 8F boiler, i pulled apart a Bachmann Crab, but got stuck on the cylinders and valve gear, wondering whether i could modify and re-use what was already there. I moved the existing cylinders down, but never got around to reducing their size. Plus, i kept thinking "am i mucking up a perfectly good Crab, when this is bound to be done in RTR ?" ! :D The way you are using new Stanier cylinders is probably a far better approach, who's cylinders have you used ?

I had sussed that the tenders were either riveted or flush, so some careful number picking was needed, but hadn't twigged that the cabs were so different. I agree, best to forge ahead and create something NOW, rather than waiting a few years, at least, for a Chinese (or Indian) one. Time to dust down my project, me thinks, i could pinch some cylinders and motion from a spare Comet kit and replace them later ?

Cheers, Brian.

Hi Brian,

Hi Tim,

It's certainly looking good and will be a very useful loco. Do you remember seeing my half-built effort on the shelf, when you visited ? Having acquired a spare Hornby 8F boiler, i pulled apart a Bachmann Crab, but got stuck on the cylinders and valve gear, wondering whether i could modify and re-use what was already there. I moved the existing cylinders down, but never got around to reducing their size. Plus, i kept thinking "am i mucking up a perfectly good Crab, when this is bound to be done in RTR ?" ! :D The way you are using new Stanier cylinders is probably a far better approach, who's cylinders have you used ?

I can't remember seeing it to be honest! There was so much to see as it was! laugh.gif

I've used the Hornby 8F cylinders and a spare motion bracket (and some valve gear parts) from a Bachmann Fairburn. The crossheads are from the Crab as are the connecting rods. All in all, it seems to be working rather well, so far! cool.gif

I had sussed that the tenders were either riveted or flush, so some careful number picking was needed, but hadn't twigged that the cabs were so different. I agree, best to forge ahead and create something NOW, rather than waiting a few years, at least, for a Chinese (or Indian) one. Time to dust down my project, me thinks, i could pinch some cylinders and motion from a spare Comet kit and replace them later ?

Cheers, Brian.

Tenders vary dependant on the loco, plus the bufferbeams are another fun area. Pick the loco and then model it. There really is no hard and fast rule! blink.gif

Cheers,

Another update:

I've now added the curved drop sections of the running plate (thanks to a dud Jubilee body) and given the loco its future identity. Little things like this really help move such a project on, especially when the "eyes" of the loco are now there. laugh.gif

Still need to fettle the curves into the front sections, but the pics were taken shortly after positioning, so I'll be done tomorrow.

post-6712-0-47673700-1304203757_thumb.jpg

Cheers!

Now that looks like a Mogul :D

Coming together great Tim, this is sure going to be a beaut when done!

Hope so...... The sandbox filler backplates are being dealt with today, along with some other sundry details. Having got the cab valence in place, some of the little details can get added at last, including some final cab interior details.

Only a fortnight until the wheels get sorted too, so things are really starting to march on again.

Cheers,

• 2 weeks later...

Another update....

With the exception of the handrails, the bodywork is virtually finished now. The new firebox band is in place (10x30 thou microstrip) and the safety valves are sat in place on top with their mounting plate underneath (10 thou off-cut). I've completed the vacuum ejector at the cab end now, thanks to cannibalising a dead Bachmann old-style Jubilee body. The same body produced the safety valves and reversing rod which really look the part. Other parts added since have been outside steampipes (ex Hornby Scot), top-feed pipes (1.2mm rod), sandbox fillers (2mm rod with a 0.4mm piece of wire inserted in the end to create the handles on top) and a few other scraps to complete.

post-6712-0-73421900-1305218005_thumb.jpg

Moving to the fireman's side, the lubricators have been re-used from the Crab and some lengths of 0.4mm wire used to make all the little lubricator pipes. I would have used 0.3mm had my drill not done a disappearing act on me, but it looks the part anyway!

post-6712-0-35379100-1305218045_thumb.jpg

As can be seen from the photos, the boiler has gained its bottom, thanks to hacking a section of of the boiler from the sorry remains of the Crab body. A large slug of rolled-up lead sheet forms the boiler ballast and some pieces have also been added to the inside of the firebox backhead. With everything on that I can fit, the loco tips the scales at 250g, which is the same as a (complete) Bachmann Crab. In theory, with the motor it has inside it, it should be a fairly capable machine indeed!

More to come after the weekend. The chassis is next!

Very interesting Tim, looking forward to further progress.

Iain

Thanks Iain. I'll have it with me at ExpoEM this weekend, so you'll be able to see it in the flesh :).

Cheers,

Archived