Building a Stanier mogul

Timara

I'm fascinated by hybrid projects like these. There is still clearly scope for even today's RTR mouldings to be hacked into something completely different!

Ah, you'll doubtless be interested in the next (possible) project then - a stretched super-detail Britannia to make something pretty obvious that hasn't yet been made.... Shall wait til end of the year before I decide whether to do it or not!mda.gif

Ah, you'll doubtless be interested in the next (possible) project then - a stretched super-detail Britannia to make something pretty obvious that hasn't yet been made.... Shall wait til end of the year before I decide whether to do it or not!mda.gif

The unmistakeable hint of a Standard 8.... :P

• 2 weeks later...

Brief update, though no photos (for the moment).

Bodywork is now complete but awaiting handrails. As will be evidenced by photos later, the front and cab steps have been given some seeing to to make them look like those attached to the class. Standard Comet loco steps, with a twist. I've painted the body in readiness for weathering once lined out (one side has been done so far) and it's had the effect of blending all the modifications in very satisfyingly indeed.

Now, to a little query I've got. Archers rivet transfers. Will I be able to get the effect I want of the 150+ rivets on the cabsides of these convincingly enough? It's an avenue I've never gone down, but I'm sure there are those out there with experience I haven't got in this regard!

That aside, it's really coming to life now! Wheels are being done tomorrow and then I can fit all the valve gear to it that I prepared the other day. Everything seems to run fine (albeit using the original wheels for testing), so it bodes very well for the proper wheels. If my recent re-wheel job on a normal Bachmann Crab is anything to go by, it should be a cinch (one hopes!).

Cheers for now......

Presumably a "Duke" rather than a Mikado . . .

The very same! As hinted above, it may or may not happen. I've got all the bits ready to go with it, plus the cutting diagram, but I'll just wait a little longer ;). My excuse is there are other more important items of stock needing doing first - the "bread and butter".

Well I never, the sun popped out! ohmy.gif

Couple of pics - one per side of the cab and tender area post-numbering/lining. The steps have had a half-round needle file taken to the corners on the inside to replicate the unique shape of those attached to both ends of a mogul. Just good fortune that they're the same height as a standard Stanier step. In photos, they always seem that bit wider! Oh and for the eagle-eyed readers, the track has changed to EM - new tender wheels (Gibson) have been fitted onto specially cut 2mm silver steel rod. There isn't enough space between the original "baffles" to allow EM wheels in, so once they're pared away, the original axles fall out. Bit of work to make them spin nicely, but they do now!

post-6712-0-54233100-1306600723_thumb.jpg

post-6712-0-94276500-1306600769_thumb.jpg

Rather looking forward to tomorrow's work on the chassis and getting it fully running. To think that 4 years ago, I was about to start doing this project and "gave up" due to not being fully confident with it. If I'd known then how easy it actually was to do, perhaps I'd have got it finished way back then. One of those things I guess! rolleyes.gif

It's looking very nice!

Thanks James! drinks.gif

If you'd done it four years ago, you'd be looking at it now thinking how much better you could do it now! :lol:

You know what, I'd agree with you there! Still, it's probably just as well that it "suffered" at the hands of my butterfly-like modelling tendencies and attention span. unsure.gif

Guest Tom F

Wow Tim....what a difference a bit of lining does!

This beauty is really taking shape.....and I'm guessing after this weekend....it really will look even more so ;)

Fancy making another......:laugh:

Wow Tim....what a difference a bit of lining does!

This beauty is really taking shape.....and I'm guessing after this weekend....it really will look even more so ;)

Thanks mate - yes, it really has, especially this evening as it is now a working model and very nice it is too! yahoo.gif

Fancy making another......:laugh:

One is enough! :P biggrin.gif

So, tomorrow's task is to quickly photograph the beastie as it currently stands before the weathering takes place, but a few minor details such as sandboxes and filler pipes. Oh and the cabside rivet transfers. That's next weekend's task.......

Guest Tom F

One is enough! :P biggrin.gif

Well it was worth a try wasn't it :mellow: :laugh:

Looking forward to the finished loco....passing Mold Junction would be nice ;) although seeing that might be a couple of years off.....;)

• RMweb Premium

It now has a hopper ashpan and rocking grate (not that we had to use the rocker yesterday) It also has TPWS which you can just about see under the pony truck, and from memory it has a low level filler on the tender. There is also additional TPWS fittings on the drivers side and a gauge for the steam brake low down below the reverser. most of the rest of the TPWS is in the AWS battery box on the firemans side. We have also added a lubrication pot added in line with the top slide bar that gives additional lubrication to the piston rod. Apart from that as far as I know it is as it was in BR days.

The lubricator for the regulator (when it wants to work properley) is an original LMS fitting for the class - one of our inspectors says they never touched them at Bescot, however I seam to remember someone saying that they tended to be taken off in BR days. They are very small and do not provide much oil to the regulator.

Lovley looking model of a very good and powerful engine. Yours is looking as good as the one in MRJ that was on display at Railex.

Okay, so the sun is very much not out, but here are some photos to whet the appetite for when I get the fella weathered up. Jobs still to do are the balance weights and cab rivets, but otherwise, pretty much everything else is done. Please excuse the "place keeper" sandboxes, borrowed from the original donor Crab.

Front 3/4 view of both sides first:

post-6712-0-86896400-1306748526_thumb.jpg

post-6712-0-43242400-1306748341_thumb.jpg

Close-up of the loco half on the fireman's side. Note the correct profile bevel rimmed wheels. They really set the model off in my opinion!

post-6712-0-50302700-1306748129_thumb.jpg

Finally, a broadside view of the driver's side:

post-6712-0-43675000-1306748595_thumb.jpg

Lovley looking model of a very good and powerful engine. Yours is looking as good as the one in MRJ that was on display at Railex.

Thankyou! Knowing Mick's model as well as I do, I take that as a huge compliment. It'd be nice one day to be able to put the two models side by side, maybe when I see him next. Thanks for the info as well on 42968 - most interesting!

Guest Tom F

And There she is…… :O

Amazing the progress in such a short space of time.

No doubt about it…she IS a Stanier Mogul!

Looking forward to seeing her dirtied up ;)

Guest Max Stafford

I agree, its one I wouldnt weather

It still needs that little bit of something in the out of the way places and a hint of dulling on the boiler top but I agree that this one will look good as a clean-ish loco.

You've certainly done a fine job on it Tim, take a bow, man!

Dave.

Archived