Building a Stanier mogul

Timara

True but compare with, for example, PDK kits .....

PDK kits need some upgrading if you want to build them in P4/S4 - I've got to start on a B12/3 when time allows. I look at their prices every so often, and they are quite frightening for what they are :blink: . £60 for a Bulleid tender kit (and note that nobody else makes them in kit form) is already more than halfway to a Finney loco kit!

True, but for much the same price level you get a state-of-the-art kit from Dave Bradwell, viz the Peppercorn K1 (yes I know he doesn't do LMS subjects, but pound-for-pound he turns out a kit that has all the bells-and-whistles)

Don't forget the wheels for the Dave Bradwell kit

You do get wheels in the Gibson kits. = £28-50 for a mogul.

Unfortunately I have only just found this thread, and as I'm the Archivist of the Stanier Mogul Fund, I might have been able to add a few things.

As to the RTR scene, the SMF contacted Bachmann in about 2003 to ask if there were any plans to produce a model of this class. We were told that there were, but it would be about five years before launch, so we're a bit late there!

I enjoyed going through the tread and watching the stages of the models construction, and a nice job it is too. You've managed to hit on the most camera shy member of the class; we have fewer photos of 2967 than any other engine.

These engines had a few peculiarities not shared by other Stanier classes: the supporting lug for the right hand side (looking forwards) of the smokebox door, half way up the smokebox ring, was never fitted to the Stanier Crabs, although they used the same smokebox door as all other Stanier tender engines. There were no fewer than four different atomiser take off arrangements near the top rear of the left hand sise of the smokebox. The reverser was a wheel rather than a winding crossbar, and the cut-off indicator moved forwards for reverse gear and vaice versa. Only 2945-54 had front steam heat bags until 2968 had one fitted in preservation. Front buffer beams had countersunk rivets making them flush faced (there was only one exception) until 1963 when Swindon took over their repairs and used snap head rivets. And not all class members receifed cinder glasses between the cab side windows; 2967 is one which did.

Anyway, a nice piece of kit and a very nice model.

Many many thanks for that information! It's probably just as well that I've not got round to the final finishing stage just yet, so that mod of removing the supporting lug will get sorted ASAP.

I'd certainly agree that 42967 was the most camera-shy as I have very few relevant images of it - five in total. Do you know of any taken between 1960 and 1962 at all? I'd be interested to know if even one shot exists! There used to be one on the Wikipedia page for the class, but the person who put up the photo has since left and taken the image with him, with the result that only a thumbnail appears in a Google search!

Cheers!

Tim

Are you sure it's gone from the whole Wiki project? I thought normally things were released on their permanently under the creative commons licenses.

Certainly is! I've tried several ways of trying to get the full size image and it says it has been deleted. Really annoying, not to mention sad :(

As to the RTR scene, the SMF contacted Bachmann in about 2003 to ask if there were any plans to produce a model of this class. We were told that there were, but it would be about five years before launch, so we're a bit late there!
Late or not, it gives us some hope! xD

Well, you were obviously out for accuracy so it was the least I could do! I have a few photos from that era, including a colour shot of the loco ex-works and freshly repainted at Horwich, 6-4-63. There's another at Heaton Mersey shed 23-1-66 in appalling external condition; if you want weathering, this is it!

The photos are copyrighted for SMF use only so I can't add them to the site, but if you e-mail me at

jim.norman@riversidecollege.ac.uk I'll happily forward them to you.

• 3 weeks later...

While I've been dealing with other projects and still pondering the cabside transfer "conundrum", I've been sorting out one of the more "bitty" details on the model. On the top of both cylinders are a pair of brackets bolted to the upper valve chests. A visit to the SVR last week meant I could finally get some clear shots of these to be able to add them, along with the pipework to go under the cab.

I've used some scrap brass fret waste instead of plasticard, mostly down to strength and rigidity. I then drilled out the holes in the middle, which are of an irregular triangular-ish shape. All I'll say is that they're a veritable sod to produce and I'm dead glad I'm only doing just the one of these. nea.gif

Couple of pics then. First one shows the brackets and the second shows how they almost vanish when the body is put on top. I do have another of the complete loco, but it's not vastly different to those posted earlier on, pre-painting of the wheels. If it's worth my while posting it up, I'll do so.

post-6712-0-72085300-1308857676_thumb.jpg

post-6712-0-54467900-1308857861_thumb.jpg

As can be seen, the balance weights are now in place on the wheels and they've been given their base coat of satin black, ready for weathering up.

Performance-wise, I'm rather pleased with how it runs. It had a rather extended running-in on Mr Jackson's 'Retford' earlier this month and didn't put a foot wrong, which was rather relieving to say the least. I'd like to be able to get more than 8 Bachmann Mk1s behind the drawbar though..... Thing is, there isn't as much space as I'd like inside, so it's a case of where else to stick ballast. Something to muse upon.....

Tim, I think that attention to detail is important in good modelling and you've done a great job there! As with most things in life, modelling is a compromise – whether you've really enjoyed doing it or not too much, the result counts for a lot and I'm sure you must derive considerable pleasure from that.

Tim, I think that attention to detail is important in good modelling and you've done a great job there! As with most things in life, modelling is a compromise – whether you've really enjoyed doing it or not too much, the result counts for a lot and I'm sure you must derive considerable pleasure from that.

Hello Ryan,

I'm going to agree with you there. There are only so many things one can do in terms of detail and suchlike, so I'm hoping that I don't get too bogged down in the detail side of things on this one. There comes a point where things can suddenly look cluttered and toy-like.

However, I have enjoyed doing this model. The speed by which I've turned the thing out after having had it just sitting there in its box, untouched in a stasis for 4 years, has taken me rather by surprise. I'm hoping this one has the desired effect to try and goad an RTR one out from the "big two" though. Certainly by the very fact there are a good number of these being attempted by people on here, it *should* pave the way for one, in theory! We can but wait and see.....

Guest Tom F

To follow on from Mucky Duck, I have to agree that these little details are making such a difference Tim...many I'm sure would be happy with how she is already!

Have to say that this loco is a beaut after seeing it with my own eyes, and after seeing her run on Retford, she's superb runner too :D

Have to say that this loco is a beaut after seeing it with my own eyes, and after seeing her run on Retford, she's superb runner too :D

AH-ha but did I see a stall going up the bank?? Nine on though, so not too bad... ;)

Porcy

AH-ha but did I see a stall going up the bank?? Nine on though, so not too bad... ;)

Porcy

I have a feeling that was the Black Five (44800), which is annoying because they're rather light on their feet. The Britannia (70017) was the one that surprised me the most - something bordering on a scale 100mph with ten on.shok.gif

Still, 42967 managed the eight with a miniscule slip on the bank. Really must finish fitting bearings to the rest of the test rake......

your stanier mogul is inpressive i have been building a folcon one and the boiler was well over size and someone opened this topic. I put a Hornby 8f boiler on it but i could never do anything like you have done.

Thankyou! It was merely a case that the boilers just happened to be about right that made me get cracking with this little project of mine. I'd certainly encourage others to give this a go though - it's not difficult to produce in the long run. ;)

Good luck with that Falcon kit by the way - braver man than I am tackling that one! good.gif It's the old Jidenco one and still virtually unchanged. I took one look at it years ago (I forget when) and decided it wasn't worth the hassle......

Meantime, here's a (final) image of the old girl before she gets fully finished off basking in the sun on a short passenger. Desperately needs that weathering doing....... lazy.gif

post-6712-0-40044500-1309272204_thumb.jpg

Guest Max Stafford

An unquestionably tidy beast I must say. It looks very nice Tim and if you apply the same care and attention to the final finishing as you have to everything else then there's nothing preventing this conversion scooping a few prizes!

Dave.

I've enjoyed reading this thread and the final result is top class. So what's next Tim?

Thanks Larry. Most likely the BR 2MT mogul that I've got all the parts to do. The downside is I know that one day there *will* be a RTR model of one, so time is most certainly of the essence! pleasantry.gif

An unquestionably tidy beast I must say. It looks very nice Tim and if you apply the same care and attention to the final finishing as you have to everything else then there's nothing preventing this conversion scooping a few prizes!

Dave.

Thanks Dave. You never know, but it'd be nice....... wink3.gif Just need to work out exactly which pack of Archers transfers I need to get for the right pitch of cabside rivets. It's not very clear-cut! What I might do is weather all but the cabsides and then finish off once they're done. I'm itching to finish it!

• RMweb Premium

To sum up the quality of this build, my wife walked into the study just as I looked at the last picture and she thought it was a real one not a model.

After that I showed her the earlier shots and she could then see it really was a model.

Looks just the real thing, beautiful machines, give me one any day and I'm a happy driver, much better than these GW things! ;)

• 1 month later...

Hi Tim,

Finally got round to reading this, I'm impressed. Nice little project, which is looking great, now it's nearly at an end.

It might even encourage me to pull my finger out on some of my own projects.

By the way I've made a start on the board!

Cheers, Jeff

• 2 weeks later...

Tim, many thanks for talking me through your making of this beautiful model at the EM North EXPO today.

I can say that the model actually looks even better than its photos. Truly inspiring.

Nice little show in Huddersfield this weekend if you can make it.

Jamie

By way of "almost" closing the chapter on this build, here's a view from the weekend just gone at Slaithwaite, posing on Geoff Kent's new layout "Black Lion Crossing". Geoff had borrowed the loco for the weekend and it ran very satisfactorily indeed. I missed seeing it on the main passenger rake, but never mind! Funny what a shaft of natural sunlight coming through the windows of the hall can do for a shot, not to mention the layout. I really don't say this lightly when I say that once Geoff has this one finished, it's going to be a stunner!

Looking at it in this sort of light really makes me want to sort out the cabside rivets. I had thought about just not bothering about them, even after having asked some learned modellers (all of whom said not to bother), but there's just that nagging feeling that it wouldn't be finished without them.

Hmmmmph......

post-6712-0-86581500-1316019844_thumb.jpg

Tim, many thanks for talking me through your making of this beautiful model at the EM North EXPO today.

I can say that the model actually looks even better than its photos. Truly inspiring.

Nice little show in Huddersfield this weekend if you can make it.

Jamie

Thanks Jamie, my pleasure! As said above, the camera is very unkind to it and shows things the eye just doesn't see.

Afraid I won't be able to get to the show though - it's just that bit too far away :(.

Cheers!

Archived