Building a Stanier mogul

Timara

• RMweb Premium

The firemans side injector is a GW pattern rather than the useless LMS pattern. Also steam heat on the front end is a preservation "mod"

I forgot about the change of injector - in fairness that LMS one is very useful being slower than the other when standing in stations.

Interesting to note the views on giving this one the weathering treatment, or not! laugh1.gif

I agree, its one I wouldnt weather

But weathered to represent a clean loco it could look amazing!

Well, the two photos I've got of this one show it in typical Chester/Mold Junction condition of being grubby, but not absolutely caked in it.

It still needs that little bit of something in the out of the way places and a hint of dulling on the boiler top but I agree that this one will look good as a clean-ish loco.

You've certainly done a fine job on it Tim, take a bow, man!

Dave.

Thankyou kind sir! As mentioned above, it'll get given a "medium-to-light" weathering job. All lining and insignia will be visible to a greater extent. Something akin to this photo on Flickr. Looks like it was taken a year after it had been into Horwich for a General (1963, during its time at Nuneaton). That photo has been one of the main ones I've used to assist during the course of this project.

There's a fair few of these models on RMweb now, it would be interesting to compare the various takes on the class.

Hmmm, I know of only two others on here, but only one of them actually looking like one (using the Golden Arrow body IIRC). I know Mick Moore's one isn't on here though, which is a shame, as it's a lovely model!

It has put me in wish list mode....:lol:

laugh1.gif drinks.gif

I'll upload the shot of it taken today in the context of a layout (a certain junction station wink.gif) later on - food comes first! Incidentally, I shall have it with me at the Members' Day for anyone to have a closer inspection of it - it fits into the context of my re-wheeling clinic.

Cheers all!

Two photos of 42967 in its home environment, as promised. Having had a very enjoyable operating session on Llandudno Junction today, I couldn't resist a shot or two on the layout during a break.

First shows her backing off 6G shed ready to head to Llandudno.

post-6712-0-81793800-1306787725_thumb.jpg

Second shows her ready to depart with a return holiday train to Manchester Exchange.

post-6712-0-19560400-1306787801_thumb.jpg

Weathering beckons....... Looks a tad out of place being "clean" laugh.gif

I forgot about the change of injector - in fairness that LMS one is very useful being slower than the other when standing in stations.

The whistle sounds a little unusual too. I was told by a driver that it was a LYR whistle but I'm not so sure. It isn't quite a Derby one either. Any ideas?

Regards

The whistle sounds a little unusual too. I was told by a driver that it was a LYR whistle but I'm not so sure. It isn't quite a Derby one either. Any ideas?

Regards

From memory, I think it's an L&Y one as when 42765 was at the valley, you couldn't tell the two apart from each other! They certainly *look* the same, but looks can indeed be deceptive.....

I think that due to the class being largely Horwich-designed, they'd have used the same whistle. In essence, it's a Crab with a Swindon boiler and a few odds and sods changed. Even the reversing wheel is the same!

• RMweb Premium

From memory, I think it's an L&Y one as when 42765 was at the valley, you couldn't tell the two apart from each other! They certainly *look* the same, but looks can indeed be deceptive.....

I think that due to the class being largely Horwich-designed, they'd have used the same whistle. In essence, it's a Crab with a Swindon boiler and a few odds and sods changed. Even the reversing wheel is the same!

Firstly the engine looks great, you've done a really good job.

We were talking about the whistle on Saturday and the consensus was it was a L&Y one. The boiler, is a belpaire with a taper so I guess you could say it is similar, although its dimensions do not match and of the Wet and Rusty. The reverser is pure Horwich , and ready to catch out the unwary as it works (visually) the other way round to other reversers; ie normally when the indicator is nearest the front of the cab its in full gear and reverse being the opposite. On 29 its the other way round. Its my favourite reverser though of all those I have been on over the years.

The whistle issue (well it's not really an issue ...) is a minor matter of interest. According to the RCTS book the first 20 engines had Derby whistles, the second 20 had Stanier hooters. The whistle currently carried doesn't sound at all like the whistle on the LYR 0-6-0 on the KWVR which is more mellow but it sounds to have more of a scream to it than the whistles on the Derby 4F and 7F engines. Dunno Guv.

Oh, yes, the model looks brilliant!

Regards

....I think that due to the class being largely Horwich-designed, they'd have used the same whistle. In essence, it's a Crab with a Swindon boiler and a few odds and sods changed. Even the reversing wheel is the same!

It's very very convincing!

Do I detect Hornby / Bachmann doing their RTR version in the next few years?

Crystal ball or tea leaves sir? In their day they went about their business largely unnoticed, so whether a model would earn a crust or two for Bachmann I don't know. I always associated them with express freight rather than passenger work in North Wales.

Did they have exhaust injectors or something?

Very nice Tim...

Another one of those types that goes under the radar as Coach says - but why?

Could be a dark horse for one of the "beeg twa" to think about, especially with the reaction your "creature" has prompted

"Its alive........................" :laugh::drinks::clapping_mini:

Very nice Tim...

Another one of those types that goes under the radar as Coach says - but why?

Could be a dark horse for one of the "beeg twa" to think about, especially with the reaction your "creature" has prompted

Agreed - it is one of those Cinderella classes. I'd be lying if I said I didn't have an ulterior motive with trying to attract one of the "big two" to go for it. cool.gif

All being well Iain, you might get to see it in the flesh on Friday...... yes.gif

Balance weights done.......laugh.gif

It shouldn't be too difficult for Hornby, slight alterations to the Stanier/Fowler 2-6-4T chassis (well shorten mostly), and take 4mm out of the front of the earlier type Black 5 boiler (to represent the later, post 'Lobster-Pot', mogul boiler), and away you go.

But nice job Tim, better than my 3 kit built versions -grrrr, time to start again !!

It shouldn't be too difficult for Hornby, slight alterations to the Stanier/Fowler 2-6-4T chassis (well shorten mostly), and take 4mm out of the front of the earlier type Black 5 boiler (to represent the later, post 'Lobster-Pot', mogul boiler), and away you go.

But nice job Tim, better than my 3 kit built versions -grrrr, time to start again !!

Just replicate what Tim did :yahoo:

What he said! laugh1.gif Seriously though, I've never been that convinced by any of the kits available, with the exception of the now-discontinued Gibson one (which was rather nice).

Hopefully this model will have the desired effect next year for any announcements. I'd like another, but I can be satisfied by having just the one for now. Saying that, when I went down to see Chris Evans on Monday, we were discussing that very subject on whether it'd be a viable model and the general consensus was that there were other more needy models to be done first. And no, I'm not countenancing a w*shl*st here...... However, I'd reckon on one manufacturer over the other from the big two, but not saying who! pleasantry.gif

Really nice job that and a very enjoyable thread to watch as well. Congratulations.

Thanks! I try to make threads a little more chatty and easy to follow. Hopefully by next weekend, it'll be finished and looking how I want it to be. Coming to the Members' Day?wink.gif

Cheers,

I've never been that convinced by any of the kits available,

Cheers,

You're right, both my K's versions have revamped Comet Stanier/Fowler 2-6-4T chassis, and took a lot of fettling to look anything reasonable. The Nu-cast kit is getting a new (Comet) chassis, but the body is worse than the K's. As the Stanier mogul is the only larger, more modern, LMS loco not available rtr, someone should soon fill the gap - hopefully.

Given all the interest that Tim's model has generated, I wonder if there are enough people now to persuade Gibson to produce a batch of their kit?

Based on what I paid for a new run of the ex-S&DJ "7F" 2-8-0 kit over a year ago, I'd say prospective buyers should prepare themselves to shell out at least £175+ for the Stanier Mogul.

That's not too bad as I think you'd only need to add a motor and gearbox to that.

True, but for much the same price level you get a state-of-the-art kit from Dave Bradwell, viz the Peppercorn K1 (yes I know he doesn't do LMS subjects, but pound-for-pound he turns out a kit that has all the bells-and-whistles)

Archived