Adam's EM Workbench: Farewell for now

Those signs are lovely, not mention all your other work.

I didn't know about AMBIS Engineering before seeing your post, but they have some etches I have been hoping someone had made.

Thank you for the info, as well a the continued inspiration through all the modelling you share here.

Jamie

• Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...

Those signs are lovely, not mention all your other work.

I didn't know about AMBIS Engineering before seeing your post, but they have some etches I have been hoping someone had made.

Thank you for the info, as well a the continued inspiration through all the modelling you share here.

Jamie

A belated thank you, Jamie, that's extremely kind of you. 

Some signal box sundries: the instrument shelf (I think that's about right for a junction box - instruments for up and down lines and one for the branch) which will be hung from the roof and, of all things, a swarm of scooters, one of which will be plucked out for use as the bobby's personal transport.

post-256-0-89559600-1492246270.gif

post-256-0-40785900-1492246283.gif

Adam

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

I like the scooters Adam, they look like Lambretta LD's to me. I had an SX150 myself back in the 1960's. Which manufacturer are the ones you have? they don't look like the Langley models ones I have on my layout.

Nice job on the signal box detailing to.

Ian

I like the scooters Adam, they look like Lambretta LD's to me. I had an SX150 myself back in the 1960's. Which manufacturer are the ones you have? they don't look like the Langley models ones I have on my layout.

Ian

Hi Ian,

They're nice little castings aren't they? Dart Castings: http://www.dartcastings.co.uk/dartcastings.php#HORSEDRAWNVEHICLES,AVANANDASCOOTER(OOGAUGE)and they're sold as Lambrettas. The model designation is useful too, so I know how to paint them.

For completeness, the signal box bits, like the lever frame, is from Springside (I bought mine from Gaugemaster).

Adam

• RMweb Premium

Ian 

Agreed, I had a 1961  LD125 and a 1967 SX150 (went like stink!).  

Ian, have you modified the seat on the left hand scooter, the seat is non-prototypical for an LD (made in france BTW)

For colours, generally the side panels were painted in a contrasting colour, although us Mods :sungum: painted them in a range of colours (I did not go in for lots of mirrors, that was after my time).

• RMweb Premium

Hi Adam

As David mentions above, owners often repainted their bikes into colours which were different to the factory finish so I don't think you need to be too fussy about which colour scheme you choose. I do seem to remember though a lot of the LD's had side panels which were a similar colour to the earlier BR Crimson and the rest of the bike was usually a cream or off white colour.

Ian

• 1 month later...

This Parkside 24 1/2 tonner was picked up cheaply at the Southampton show back in January; the ultimate 'box of wheels' as far as I'm concerned. It's an interesting observation on British Railways, the National Coal Board and Britain in the '60s in general that the last BR-built batch of these were built in '62, only a couple of years before - and at the same same works(!) - the Hop ABs, latterly HAAs. This is a design concept that really dated from the late 19th century...

post-256-0-13367300-1496050019.gif

This is a representation of an early build of the 24 and a half tonner so it has plain bearings and will get one door spring for each door. There's quite a lot that's still good about this Parkside kit, the body in particular. The chassis needs work, however, but this is the minimal-intervention approach: new buffers, axleboxes and the brakes stretched to get nearer the wheels. The push rods have overlays from AMBIS Engineering etches (the etch comes with push rods for wheelbases from 7' to 12' at 6" increments; one of those 'I wish I'd known about these years ago' products) and make a big difference. I should have finished the solvent work by later today and final detailing should be finished some time later this week: I really need to get a few of these things ready for paint; the workbench is getting crowded.

Adam

Edited by Adam
  • Like 10

For anyone that hasn't joined the dots (or doesn't regularly take MRJ), my second piece for the Journal describes the scratchbuilding of this wagon, a Lowmac WV. Thanks to this edition's editor, Karl Crowther, for asking me to do it. I'm pleased with it, I hope anyone who gets to read the article enjoys it - it's an excellent issue if you have an interest in wagon-based modelling: The Mill and Morfa Bank are both stupendous bits of work and probably much more interesting to most people than my wagon or the 7mm banana vans. ;)

Lowmac_MRJ_002.gif.ee5c48feb0981c1b7e3be7effc81f64d.gif

Adam

Edited by Adam
  • Like 6

I was going to click agree, then realised I don't, the wagon articles are of equal interest to me at least, if not more so, as I am more likely to build a wagon than a fantastic layout.

Looking forward to your third child!

Mike.

I did write 'most' people, Mike - present company obviously accepted! I would note that commentary I've seen makes no mention whatsoever of the wagon pieces.

Adam

• RMweb Premium

I really enjoyed your article Adam. In a roundabout way, your wagon building and this thread (essential reading) have been an influence on The Mill as it's made me pay more attention to the wagons on the layout.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

This Parkside 24 1/2 tonner was picked up cheaply at the Southampton show back in January; the ultimate 'box of wheels' as far as I'm concerned. It's an interesting observation on British Railways, the National Coal Board and Britain in the '60s in general that the last BR-built batch of these were built in '64* at exactly the same time and in the same works(!) as the Hop ABs, latterly HAAs. This is a design concept that really dated from the late 19th century...

attachicon.gif24_half_001.gif

This is a representation of an early build of the 24 and a half tonner so it has plain bearings and will get one door spring for each door. There's quite a lot that's still good about this Parkside kit, the body in particular. The chassis needs work, however, but this is the minimal-intervention approach: new buffers, axleboxes and the brakes stretched to get nearer the wheels. The push rods have overlays from AMBIS Engineering etches (the etch comes with push rods for wheelbases from 7' to 12' at 6" increments; one of those 'I wish I'd known about these years ago' products) and make a big difference. I should have finished the solvent work by later today and final detailing should be finished some time later this week: I really need to get a few of these things ready for paint; the workbench is getting crowded.

Adam

* The very last batch were built by Pressed Steel in early '65.

I don't know if Parkside have remastered these, as they came over from the former Ian Kirk range. I have several from each source, and am pushed to tell the difference, though there's near enough forty years between the oldest and youngest.

The prototypes tended to work in block trains to power stations and factories, and were fairly restricted in their use; their height meant either that colliery screens had to be modified to take them, or that loading had to be carried out by mechanical shovel. The only flow I remember them being used on in my native South Wales was between Brynlliw colliery and Carmarthen Bay power station, which were loaded using big Michigan tractor shovels.

One thing that has always puzzled me is the provision of 'London Trader' top flaps; their smaller brethren didn't have these. Indeed, giving they were used in conjunction with rotary tipplers, it's questionable whether side and end doors were needed at all. By the early 1970s, quite a few wagons had their top and side doors replaced by welded sheet steel.

I really enjoyed your article Adam. In a roundabout way, your wagon building and this thread (essential reading) have been an influence on The Mill as it's made me pay more attention to the wagons on the layout.

Thanks Jason - with such a small layout, the focus is going to be on the stock whether that's the viewer's main interest or not.

I don't know if Parkside have remastered these, as they came over from the former Ian Kirk range. I have several from each source, and am pushed to tell the difference, though there's near enough forty years between the oldest and youngest.

The prototypes tended to work in block trains to power stations and factories, and were fairly restricted in their use; their height meant either that colliery screens had to be modified to take them, or that loading had to be carried out by mechanical shovel. The only flow I remember them being used on in my native South Wales was between Brynlliw colliery and Carmarthen Bay power station, which were loaded using big Michigan tractor shovels.

One thing that has always puzzled me is the provision of 'London Trader' top flaps; their smaller brethren didn't have these. Indeed, giving they were used in conjunction with rotary tipplers, it's questionable whether side and end doors were needed at all. By the early 1970s, quite a few wagons had their top and side doors replaced by welded sheet steel.

We have an Ian Kirk one - which came to us secondhand, since I don't think dad ever saw one in service down in Cornwall - and, like you, I doubt that Parkside have done anything about the body moulding (though a new 12' wb chassis would be nice). They're an odd design all round, both for the reasons you suggest and that they were built so late on.

Slightly smaller is the next project, a Wychbury Loco Works (latterly, Mercian - hand-drawn by Pete Stamper, I think) X Class Peckett. This came from a club member's estate and is built, in part, in memory of him: John wasn't really a modeller, but he was full of good intentions and, as a Bristolian, had a fondness for Pecketts, Avonsides and other products of Bristol's engineering companies. It's not bad, but is of its time and requires a bit of fettling to get a reasonable drive train inside and some additional detailing. In fairness, the extent of that will be relatively limited since most of it is there albeit with a bit of finessing. Soldering is, er, less than invisible...

post-256-0-84319700-1496606573.gif

post-256-0-68380100-1496606687.gif

Most of this is as it comes but the buffer beams - supplied as badly shrunken whitemetal castings - have been replaced with 1.6mm copperclad. More will only follow once I've fitted a new element to my principal soldering iron. 

More on this will appear on its own thread in the UK Standard Gauge Industrial part of the forum: http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/123415-a-peckett-from-the-black-country/

Adam

Edited by Adam
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

A boxy mineral, ready to paint:

post-256-0-69666300-1499979700.gif

post-256-0-48551600-1499979722.gif

Not, perhaps, the most exciting wagon on the block but the first thing I've actually completed for a bit. As I type, it's under a coat of primer.

Adam

• Like 6

A boxy mineral, ready to paint:

attachicon.gif24_half_002.gif

attachicon.gif24_half_003.gif

Not, perhaps, the most exciting wagon on the block but the first thing I've actually completed for a bit. As I type, it's under a coat of primer.

Adam

Hi Adam,

Glad to see wagons rolling off the production line again!

All the best,

Colin

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

This will be the last wagon for a bit - we're moving house - and as this one splodges off the bench (though the rust needs a bit of sharpening up, not helped by this somewhat rough pic') i'll say cheerio for a bit.

post-256-0-98808200-1500744853.gif

Adam

• Like 6

• 3 weeks later...

The other side of the move, thank goodness, and with a view to ensuring I know where everything is, the time has come to work through a handful of projects to completion. First up, Canal Junction 'box, last seen here.

post-256-0-16421000-1502190655.jpg

Note that before reaching its current state, primed and with a first coat of cream applied by brush, I saw fit to add some foundations which will locate it in the baseboard - 60 thou' plastic sheet. The roof is in position for context and the toilet door will be added after painting as will the fire buckets.

post-256-0-72057600-1502190651.jpg

At the other end, the water butt has sprouted a stud of wire to represent the tap - since this will be at the bottom of the cutting constrained by retaining wall, I didn't see fit to go further, or to add rivets to the water bit itself. Even I have to draw the line somewhere!

Meanwhile, I've added a retaining nut to the roof using some chucks of 40 thou' with the nut wedged with plastic and epoxied in position. At the same time, I drilled an accompanying hole through the floor. This isn't especially exciting but brings us up to date. The whole thing will be hidden (if I remember) by the signalling diagram above the instrument shelf.

post-256-0-98993500-1502190658.jpg

Adam

Edited by Adam
  • Like 2

Hi Adam,

Great work on the signal box.  

All the best,

Colin

Thanks Colin - it's had a second coat of cream and a first coat of the contrasting colour for the framing (LM red, in this instance - I've used Humbrol's matt wine, no. 73) since. I've also fitted the frame and stove before I misplaced/damaged them. I'll post another picture once the second coat has gone on as, at present, it looks a bit of a mess, albeit a neatly delineated mess.

Adam

• RMweb Premium

Just popped in to have a shufty at the box, and the first thing I noticed is that you have too many block instruments on the shelf. Each one of the casting is for a double track. The bottom indicator shows the indication that you have given for the road going away from you (and effectively proves that moving the commutator has actually given the indication), with the top indicator showing the position of the commutator at the next box for the road coming towards you.

Also be careful with single lines and block instruments, usually they wouldn't be used, and staff or token machines used (or ticket boxes) instead.

I have to say the box itself is looking stunning!

Andy G

Just popped in to have a shufty at the box, and the first thing I noticed is that you have too many block instruments on the shelf. Each one of the casting is for a double track. The bottom indicator shows the indication that you have given for the road going away from you (and effectively proves that moving the commutator has actually given the indication), with the top indicator showing the position of the commutator at the next box for the road coming towards you.

Also be careful with single lines and block instruments, usually they wouldn't be used, and staff or token machines used (or ticket boxes) instead.

I have to say the box itself is looking stunning!

Andy G

Thanks (and bother, in equal measure! :)). At this point, because the rear of the box, which is a solid wall, will face the viewer, they'll be staying as they are. The operator's view will be directly downwards so they won't see it either. I should still have checked, however...

That said, I'm reasonably sure I have the correct number of levers and that they're the right colour. Since in these boxes, the frames were mounted at the rear, they're invisible to the viewer as well. Doubtless none of this will prevent people from telling me that I've mounted to roof back to front!

Thanks again,

Adam

Raspberry ripple? Anyone? The fun bit - adding the contrasting colour to the framing - has now been accomplished and the general effect is to make it look as though it should be perched atop an ice cream cone!

post-256-0-71686100-1502368292_thumb.jpg

Weathering will tone this down a fair bit and I expect addressing the areas that should be a bare wood colour will make a difference as will attending to the fenestration. The next job to be tackled, I think, is to attend to the fire buckets and their rack. Both will be bright red which will contrast nicely with the murk below the stairs and behind the coal bunker.

post-256-0-46168300-1502368409.jpg

Tidy enough, so far.

Adam

• Like 6

Moving through the phases now and this time, I've completed basic detail painting, added fire bucket and name boards and made a start on the remaining interior details. More on the latter anon, but I will admit to being quite pleased with how it looks thus far. A week to harden off, afforded by going on holiday, and I'll come back to that though I may manage to sort the windows out over the weekend.

post-256-0-14184300-1502450867.gif

post-256-0-21760100-1502450873_thumb.gif

post-256-0-27174700-1502450896.gif

Adam

• Like 6