Stubby47's 2011 Challenge Entry

Stubby47

• RMweb Gold

Right, time to throw my hat into the ring.

I thought for this challenge I'd venture into N Gauge, and use uptodate rolling stock as well. Consequently the track plan is a very simple fiddle yard to single line station, such as Looe or Falmouth (and probably plenty of other terminus stations around the country).

Construction will be 5mm foamboard, it's a nice light medium and quite strong enough for this size of layout.

But, there will be a major twist, but I'll not say what that will be yet...

Stu

• RMweb Gold

Bought a yard of 2mm finescale track today, plus an overbridge, some telegraph poles and some 2mm Ratio wriggly tin.

I wanted to buy either a 14xx & Autocoach or a modern South West single car modern DMU (or whatever their new acronynm is ) - but neither can be had for a decent price.

Still, all is not lost, this is a diorama challenge, so it doesn't have to actually work, does it... ?

I'll get some foamboard on the way home and should be able to make a decent start this evening.

I wanted to buy either a 14xx & Autocoach or a modern South West single car modern DMU (or whatever their new acronynm is ) - but neither can be had for a decent price.

For the Auto-coaches, check out Osborn's. Maurice commissioned a run privately from Dapol and they are very nice. Much cheaper than *Bay too. ;)

http://www.osbornsmodels.com/ncosb003-Dapol-osborns-exclusive-gwr-autocoach-12372-p.asp

• RMweb Gold

..... or a modern South West single car modern DMU (or whatever their new acronynm is ) - but neither can be had for a decent price.

Kernow have 3 variants of 153s for £53.50, but not in a South West flavour. There is always an Electra overlay option though...

• RMweb Gold

Thanks for the leads on possible rolling stock - I saw the Kernow ones earlier today, plus their limited edition Class 153 at £119.00 - i might just make the diorama non-operational, as I'm not sure I'll ever use any of the N gauge stuff again.

Anyway, here's some progress on the Challenge Entry :

post-7025-0-82203600-1305937161_thumb.jpg

• RMweb Gold

I've never really done any scenic work, so this is a real stretch for me.

There are still lots of detail to add, plus more variety of colour and texture of ground cover, but this is the progress so far.

post-7025-0-21703200-1306010932_thumb.jpg

What's also obvious from this shot is that the proposal for the layout's design has changed - this is now a tribute to the small halts on the Truro / Chacewater / Newquay line, such as Goonbell and Mithian.

But so far, it appears to be a unique offering.

and as usual progressing at an incredible pace. Some of us (well me in fact) may just come up with an idea by Xmas, about in time for next year and even then wouldn't finish it.

• RMweb Gold

Some of us (well me in fact) may just come up with an idea by Xmas, about in time for next year and even then wouldn't finish it.

You could always reproduce the image in your avatar, to a scale of 1:24...

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Have just bought some figures for the Challenge entry, bargins at only £1.00 each. I think the three of them will be enough, wouldn't want to over-populate the scene.

However, they'll need bending to fit properly.....

• RMweb Gold

Um! How much for keeping your idea quiet??

Seriously though, looking good and certainly a lot further forward than my idea, although I may be able source the track / wheels etc shortly!

• RMweb Gold

Wow, that's impressive !

I was just going to source some cheap clothes ( and a backpack, of course) - I'd not considered moulding clothes from paste.

Definitely worth persuing - thanks !

Archived