On 40-somethings Workbench

Guest 40-something

Guest 40-something

Hi Folks

Thought I would post a couple of photos of a project Ive been working on.

post-6924-0-76252900-1314184608.jpg

post-6924-0-47547200-1314184627.jpg

The model started off as a standard knackered Lima J50 with damage to the shell bought cheap from eBay in LNER green. I detailed the shell with new handrails and handrail knobs, smokebox door dart, safety valves, rear cab barred windows, bufferbeams, buffers, lamp irons and coupling hooks. I moved the bodyside steps inboard a bit and made a representation of the sandboxes.

The chassis is from a Bachmann 57XX, the wheelbase and diameter is just about right for the J50. I removed the front sandboxes (not too sure it should have rear sandboxes but I've left them on anyway), along with the external brake rodding and added inside splashers for the front wheels. I’ve fitted a Hornby cheapo DCC chip and it runs great!

The loco has been painted to represent an Eastfield (65a) example, weathered to create a filthy nearing-end-of-life-look. I’ve still to add a crew, loco lamps and front ladder style steps, add more coal and finish the weathering off. Im not to happy with the smokebox number (not just because its wrong!) so will probably change that. Its not perfect but does me!

Next small loco project is a Bachmann J72, then will probably be followed by a rebuilt J83. Plenty of big loco projects to be getting on with as well though!

Guest 40-something

Looks good to me! Must admit I'd never thought of 57xx chassis as I'd quite like a J50 in just this sort of condition.

Thanks! I got the idea for the chassis from someone mentioning it on a previous incarnation of RMWeb, and Im going to use it again on my future J83 project, again the wheelbase and diameter is very close.

I have thought about opening up the chimney to give a thinner lip but dont want to ruin the it!

I should add that I've added a partial false floor, kept the 57xx backplate(?) which I moved forward by about 4mm, filled the bunker area full of lead as well as the inside of the tanks and smoke box so there is a good bit of weight to the little model!

Looks good to me - a world away from the Lima model. I take it the wheels are about the correct size? How did you do the raised safety valve part? I have an unused Jackson detailing kit for the Lima body so I think I'll be resurrecting that particular project using the 57xx chassis. More pics would be especially nice please :yes:

Guest 40-something

Hi Andrew

The wheel diameter is close, a couple of inches either way in reality, so miniscule on the model. The safety valve bit was just some plasticard laid on top of each other sanded to profile, topped with brass safety valves from Markits. I dont know if this is the correct height as I just went with photo's as reference.

If there is any particular area you'd like me to take photo's of, please let me know!

Hi Andrew

The wheel diameter is close, a couple of inches either way in reality, so miniscule on the model. The safety valve bit was just some plasticard laid on top of each other sanded to profile, topped with brass safety valves from Markits. I dont know if this is the correct height as I just went with photo's as reference.

If there is any particular area you'd like me to take photo's of, please let me know!

Thanks Joe. Maybe some lower down shots would be good showing a bit more of the chassis/body interface.

Guest 40-something

Thanks Joe. Maybe some lower down shots would be good showing a bit more of the chassis/body interface.

Hi Andrew

Im away over the weekend so I'll get them to you early next week, I'll take phots of how I actually mounted the body to the chassis

... I have thought about opening up the chimney to give a thinner lip but dont want to ruin it...

If you do go ahead, gently does it, the plastic is not the toughest. Strictly handwork opening out a litle at a time to avoid getting a 'bite' and twisting the chimney off at the thinnest point. I thought I was being careful when that happened on mine, which sent it down the road of becoming a pastiche of the Thompson Q1, (still very much a work in progress).

The old K's whitemetal kit J50 body works equally well on the Bachmann 57xx chassis, and of course comes ready weighted.

• 2 weeks later...

The J50 has always been one of my loves and inspired by this article, I've managed to get hold of a Lima non runner with an excellent body, albeit in the old LNER colours. The Bachmann 57xx chassis is certainly one way to convert it, but as I'm enjoying building a Comet B1 chassis, does anyone make a brass chassis kit for the J50?

A search on the web made mention of SE Finecast, but all I can find is flush mounted windows and no chassis kit.

Are there any out there?

That is a beautiful loco, shame it isn't in LNER colours though :whistle:

Any chance of a piccy of the body off and underneath so we can see the fixings to attach it to the chassis, also did you have to modify the chassis in any way? I only ask as this has tempted me to do one myself so any pointers as to any pitfalls would be useful. Many thanks

Guest 40-something

That is a beautiful loco, shame it isn't in LNER colours though :whistle:

Any chance of a piccy of the body off and underneath so we can see the fixings to attach it to the chassis, also did you have to modify the chassis in any way? I only ask as this has tempted me to do one myself so any pointers as to any pitfalls would be useful. Many thanks

Thanks for your kind comments!

I've sent you a PM with photos!

....does anyone make a brass chassis kit for the J50?

Many years ago, Puffers / Perseverance offered a basic frames and spacers only fret for the J50. But try and find one! They did something similar for the SR Q1 and the LMS Duchess.

Nobody else has produced anything, chassis-wise, for the J50 as far as I know - although for some strange reason the name "McGowan" comes to mind when I think of whitemetal J50s...... Jackson-Evans produced detailing kits for the variants.

Guest 40-something

Seconded! I have three of these ruddy awful Lima J50s that are crying out to be transformed in this way :)

Ok folks, I'll get some pics up tonight, nothing exciting though!!!

Guest 40-something

Hi Folks

As promised here are those extra photo's...

post-6924-0-88162800-1315485940.jpg

Smoke box end body mount - just scraps of plasticard, narrow enough to fit between chassis mounting point frames. There are 2 handy ribs moulded on the underside of the shell as can be seen, plasticard wide enough to fit between these is just whats needed

post-6924-0-69016000-1315485951.jpg

Bunker end body mount - again just scraps of plasticard. I made a false floor for the bunker/cab area at what would be the cab floor height

post-6924-0-94619900-1315485967.jpg

Smoke box end of chassis. The raised circle in the mounting point was removed and filed flat, no other mods needed, same at bunker end

post-6924-0-66653000-1315485986.jpg

Side-on view of splashers made from thin plasticard

post-6924-0-36307000-1315486031.jpg

View of the chassis and body from underneath. Apart from removing the raised circle in the mounting points, no other mods were required for the chassis. The original coupling point at the bunker end can still be used - I use Kadees and a number 20 is perfect for this end. A front coupling mounting needs to be made, the Kadee draft box here is shortened with a No.5 coupling.

post-6924-0-87000000-1315486040.jpg

Smoke box end chassis/body relationship

post-6924-0-32676700-1315486049.jpg

Bunker end chassis/body relationship

post-6924-0-86821100-1315486060.jpg

Overall chassis/body relationship. I reused the backhead detail from the 57XX as a representation. I moved this towards the motor about 3mm.

Hope these photos are of use, any more questions please ask!

The J50 has always been one of my loves and inspired by this article, I've managed to get hold of a Lima non runner with an excellent body, albeit in the old LNER colours. The Bachmann 57xx chassis is certainly one way to convert it, but as I'm enjoying building a Comet B1 chassis, does anyone make a brass chassis kit for the J50?

A search on the web made mention of SE Finecast, but all I can find is flush mounted windows and no chassis kit.

Are there any out there?

Many years ago, Puffers / Perseverance offered a basic frames and spacers only fret for the J50. But try and find one! They did something similar for the SR Q1 and the LMS Duchess.

Nobody else has produced anything, chassis-wise, for the J50 as far as I know - although for some strange reason the name "McGowan" comes to mind when I think of whitemetal J50s...... Jackson-Evans produced detailing kits for the variants.

Mainly Trains do a couple of scale chassis kits for the Hornby J52 (one just a basic frame, one a full kit with wheels, motor and plastic Hornby body) that correct the inaccurate wheel spacing of the Hornby model. The J52 and J50 chassis are very similar - same wheelbase, same wheel size. Would cost a bit more than the 57xx conversion though and then you'd have to do the build.

• 3 weeks later...

Not that I'm hijacking this thread I just don't think its worth starting a new topic for this, I thought I would post my efforts at a detailed Lima J50, I have been influenced greatly by 40somethings excellent work, so for what its worth here are a few shots of mine so far:

IMAG0011.jpg

This is the bunker with some Mainty Trains etched Lamp Brackets also i have filled in the hole in the buffer beam ready to put some Romford Screw Link couplings on this beast.

IMAG0012.jpg

From this view you can see that I have built som new splashers and the dome for the safety valves from plasticard. first time I run her she ran perfectly without any fouling of her wheels and met with some acclaim at the club. The new chassis is a Bachmann 57xx fixed in the same manner as 40-something's J50.

IMAG0010.jpg

New sprung buffers, handrails and lamp irons all stuck on with 5 minute epoxy. The handrail on the side tank is actually slighty wonky but I like it as it does give her some character.

I have not decided on an actual livery yet but it will be LNER (I'm slightly confuse on what livery a J50 would be running between 1933 and 1939), after she is painted I will glaze the cab spectacles and also put some real coal in the bunker.

I want to say thank you to 40-something for all the help he has given me in the quest to complete this model and I am looking forward to seeing his J83.

Archived