MARC Models 975025 "Caroline"

• RMweb Premium

She runs!

A quick grab shot on Blackmill earlier tonight with the favoured traction - 37423. (47501 is on standby)

post-408-0-98069800-1320795689_thumb.jpg

A no5 Kadee was quickly added to the bogie for the first round of trials and apart from a couple of issues with an known tight clearance, Caroline performed well in push and pull mode.

I had also previously added a steel weight from a Replica coach in case of any roadholding problems - the weight will also help the pickups that will power the head/taillights to perform better.

Cheers,

Mick

Edited by newbryford
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Memory like a wotsit me.

The best bogies are the Replica ones, as I believe Geoff is now supplying, along with a few other things.

Through on wednesday, I waved but you weren't looking

These be they then?

post-2326-0-92255900-1321541665.jpg

My 'new' Bully arrived yesterday. Suppose I'd better think about getting on with it now!

Shall I do a new set of bogies for the other one; what's your thoughts on that?

P @' 36E

Edited by Mallard60022

Hi Mick,

The inspection saloon is looking lovely - will be nice to see it all lit up :)

You seem to know what you're doing so presumably you don't need any photos, but just out of interest:

post-9324-0-72828300-1321552746_thumb.jpg

Being propelled into Sheffield station by 37423 and 37409, 16th June 2010.

post-9324-0-78814700-1321552803_thumb.jpg

With 37409 again a few days later, just south of York station, 29th June 2010.

post-9324-0-36281900-1321552868_thumb.jpg

Sitting in the sidings alongside York station on 7th July 2009.

I also took a photo of the roof as it passed under a footbridge (only a modeller would do that, knew it would come in handy one day...) but frustratingly that's the only one I can't find!

Cheers,

Will

Edited by CWJ
  • Like 2

• RMweb Premium

two 37s for one coach? :O

For some reason it ran with 423/409 for awhile. Other power in the last couple of years has been single 37409, 37423 and 47501 has also featured recently with Caroline. http://www.flickr.co...ore/6073282693/

But there is this odd working http://www.flickr.co...009/5045360177/

It needs Blue Star /ETH power since it's rebuild in 2008/9

It's Hastings-line gauge - needs special treatment at all times.

Does anyone know who Caroline really was?

Good question!

Cheers,

Mick

Edited by newbryford

two 37s for one coach? :O

Sorry, I should have explained in the caption - on the day of the photo, 37409 was being 'run in' after overhaul. Presumably they wouldn't want to risk sending her out alone!

• 2 weeks later...

For some reason it ran with 423/409 for awhile. Other power in the last couple of years has been single 37409, 37423 and 47501 has also featured recently with Caroline. http://www.flickr.co...ore/6073282693/

But there is this odd working http://www.flickr.co...009/5045360177/

It needs Blue Star /ETH power since it's rebuild in 2008/9

Good question!

Cheers,

Mick

Caroline used to be a buffet coach in a class 201 or 202 (can't remember which) DEMU.

Here is mine - made for me by Britannina Pacific Models. Looks great, its not quite as finly detailed as the one you are doing Mick, its just away at the moment having lighting fitted to it!

Cheers,

Andi.

post-7239-0-04420200-1322591782_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Caroline used to be a buffet coach in a class 201 or 202 (can't remember which) DEMU.

Andi.

Previous guise was S60755, a 1958-built trailer buffet car from a Class 6B unit that then became a Class 203 5L unit.

I've done a bit more work - photos soon.

Cheers,

Mick

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Hopefully work will progress quickly now that I've got some idea how I'm going to install the LED's for the marker/headlights.

First pic shows the bits added to make the bogies look a bit more like a B5(S) (NOT a B5)

post-408-0-99326400-1323910254_thumb.jpg

The next two pics show the first stages of underframe detail - more strapping/brackets to be added,along with adjusting a couple of the supports to vertical!

post-408-0-54283800-1323910430_thumb.jpg

post-408-0-91017000-1323910450_thumb.jpg

The supplied 14mm wheels have been exchanged for 12mm diameter - I had wondered why it looked a bit "tall".

Work on the interior has also recommenced with the TV cabinet internals being fitted (anyone know how to do working DVD player/TV in 4mm?) :O

Cheers,

Mick

Edited by newbryford
  • Like 3

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Premium

it's slowly quickly dawning that I had "sort of" promised to get Caroline ready for Stafford exhibition. That's about 3 weeks from now.

I've been working on cab end detail, as I'm reasonably happy with the rest of the body. The "modern" version of Caroline has unique marker/tail light clusters so I couldn't just borrow them from another kit/project/model. I ended up laminating a couple of bits of styrene sheet and then filing to an oval shape about 10mm long. I could probably have used a Evergreen rectangular section or similar product, but I didn't have anything suitable in my plastic stocks.

I then cut off sections with a slight angle to match the taper on the cab. They were then superglued to the body. A quick run through with a couple of small drill bits and finally enlarging the hole with a tapered broach. A little bit of cleaning up and I think I'm somewhere there. A coat of primer should show up any imperfections. The main headlight is a Shawplan/Replicamoulding mounted on a small square of plasticard.

Holes have been drilled for fitment of wipers and aerial after painting.

I've also been busy on the interior, building the cabinets that are located at the inner bulkhead.

The chassis has not been ignored, with small details being added to the various boxes and equipment.

Pics VERY soon.

Cheers,

Mick

Edited by newbryford

• RMweb Premium

Primer has gone on well. It's highlighted a couple of minor blemishes, but nothing that can't be cured with 5 minutes, a file and glass fibre brush. Although I've noticed that I haven't fitted anything to represent the door hinges................. :scratchhead:

Hopefully do those later tonight and a 2nd primer coat.

post-408-0-06670600-1326818437_thumb.jpg

Cheers,

Mick

• Like 6

• RMweb Premium

Hinges - oh yes; do I love them <_< ? Door 'bumpers' too please :no:

This looks really good mate. Get a Green 33 on the front/back :nono:

Almost worth coming over to Stafford to see this.

Sincerely, P @ 36E

Edited by Mallard60022

• RMweb Premium

Thanks for the compliments guys.

Hinges - oh yes; do I love them <_< ? Door 'bumpers' too please :no:

This look really good mate. Get a Green 33 on the front/back :nono:

The door bumpers are already on - soldered in place awhile back. Some of the doors are inward opening, so no visible hinge or bumper.

Motive power will probably be one of Newton-le-Willows finest......

Fresh from the spraybooth with soft paint - needs atiny bit of edge fettling, but giving it a chance to harden properly before varnish and other detail...

post-408-0-58444000-1327160496_thumb.jpg

Cheers,

Mick

Edited by newbryford
  • Like 5