• RMweb Gold

I had a particularly good week last week, for being out and about on site visits etc. for work purposes and generally 'passing through' various places. Here are a few views:

The former Marsh Mills clay branch, taken from behind the buffer stops in Tavistock Jct yard:

post-57-0-95981800-1318795386.jpg

Tavistock Jct Yard (note that the plough van is still there):

post-57-0-06496300-1318795425.jpg

Plymouth Friary:

post-57-0-22215800-1318795450.jpg

Keyham, looking east:

post-57-0-52348200-1318795471.jpg

Keyham, from same bridge as previous view, looking west:

post-57-0-57811900-1318795519.jpg

FGW Class 57 at Exeter St Davids, in connection with driver training:

post-57-0-54774900-1318795547.jpg

post-57-0-07164500-1318795562.jpg

A Dartmouth Steam Railway signal, interesting, because it seems to me to be an old semaphore bracket and post, with a colour light mounted on top (located at Paignton South):

post-57-0-28499900-1318795618.jpg

Empty HST entering Goodrington Yard to stable:

post-57-0-88436900-1318795655.jpg

post-57-0-53070900-1318795670.jpg

View along the DSR towards Goodrington Halt and Churston:

post-57-0-16412700-1318795698.jpg

(All track-side views taken with full authority and safety provisions in place).

• RMweb Gold

If that signal back to camera in the centre of the last picture is for up trains leaving Goodrington platform then its sighting looks pretty poor.

Actually it's not too bad (especially so considering the low line speed) and it's on the loop - not the main running line; here's a view of it taken from the station platform during an IRSE visit a couple of years ago. And also an 'under construction' view of the section of the panel which is by now controlling the back-to-back bracket signal illustrated above by the good Cap'n.

post-6859-0-72183400-1318801569_thumb.jpg

post-6859-0-19768500-1318801614_thumb.jpg

Nice set of shots there Cap'n, thanks for sharing them ;) .

Regarding the colour light head on the semaphore bracket at Paignton.... it's not so unusual really, the platform starters at Paddington originally had searchlight heads on former semaphore brackets, which in turn were replaced by new MAS heads in the remodelling of Autumn '67. I'm glad I photographed them all in the 80s now as they're long gone!

The two views at Keyham are interesting too, there's nice shot in Roger Geach's second volume on Westerns taken from the same spot in 1968 and it doesn't appear to have changed that much really.

• RMweb Gold

Isn't there still a set of colour lights on a GWR semaphore bracket/gantry at Oxford?

One of them is definitely still there (Station South, post 1948 structure I think it is) but I'm not sure about the one on the Up Loop at Hinksey North which was originally installed on a gantry erected during WWII - Nidge will probably know? There is also one in the Up Bay at Slough plus of course the big gantry at the west end of Cardiff General (if it's still there) which dates from the GWR colour light resignalling in the 1930s.

Slightly more amusing is a semaphore doll and arm on a Reading design colour light signal multiple track gantry at the north end of Salop station.

• RMweb Premium

Great pics as usual. I didn't know there was anything left of Friary.

There is nothing left of the station as this is all under the small retail park / housing estate off Exeter street, however if you go up Greenbank road look over the bridge and you'll get to see the remains of the approach area as shown by CK's photos.

• RMweb Premium

I see you even get graffiti on preserved railways now. :nono:

I think that this is symptomatic of having a line in a built up and relatively deprived area.

• RMweb Premium

I could say that you missed out then Tom, but in all the times that I walked over the bridge I can only remember a couple of occasions when I saw any wagons and these were generally quite some way down.

One of them is definitely still there (Station South, post 1948 structure I think it is) but I'm not sure about the one on the Up Loop at Hinksey North which was originally installed on a gantry erected during WWII - Nidge will probably know? There is also one in the Up Bay at Slough plus of course the big gantry at the west end of Cardiff General (if it's still there) which dates from the GWR colour light resignalling in the 1930s.

Slightly more amusing is a semaphore doll and arm on a Reading design colour light signal multiple track gantry at the north end of Salop station.

Sorry chaps I missed that one.... yes the two gantries at Oxford are still there and very much in use, I've photographed them both far too much for my own good! The one down at Hinksey North has the signal that puts you across into Hinksey Yard itself, the junction here being quite a bottleneck at times, as I'm sure Squire Daniels of this very parish would agree. I was sat staring at the station gantry only this morning thinking how impressive it must have looked with the semaphores, whilst waiting to relieve the Eastleigh man on 6Z22. This gantry, and the one at Hinksey, aren't the only bits of GWR infrastructure still survivng at Oxford, alongside it at the south end of the Up Platform is the lower remains of the old water tower, and the seperate 'stand alone' section of canopy at the north end by the Bicester bay is also of GWR vintage.

(I hasten to add that I was not on the move when I took the rearward facing shot of the Hinksey North gantry, my loco was stopped at the other signal out of sight on the Up Loop!)

post-7638-0-02594200-1318963747_thumb.jpg

post-7638-0-65634200-1318963885_thumb.jpg

With apologies for hijacking the thread slightly ;) .

• RMweb Gold

CK, do you know how many of the loops at Goodrington are used for stabling at any one time?

The timetable currently requires only one at any one time, but that doesn't account for future possible requirements of charter trains, engineering trains etc. There are actually four double-ended sidings and one double-ended reception line, (the Reception Line is that nearest the steam railway), but all are currently temporarily converted to single-ended sidings due to condition of the S&C at the south end. There is currently an internal industry consultation going on about converting some of them to single ended sidings with buffer stops permanently (and further discussions also taking place regarding how many should be come dead-end sidings). If you pass by on the steam railway you will notice the 'Stop' markers and lamps etc.

• RMweb Premium

Thanks CK, I had assumed that one one was used at a time at the moment. It's a couple of years since I went past on the steam line, really must get round to doing it again.

• RMweb Gold

The timetable currently requires only one at any one time, but that doesn't account for future possible requirements of charter trains, engineering trains etc. There are actually four double-ended sidings and one double-ended reception line, (the Reception Line is that nearest the steam railway), but all are currently temporarily converted to single-ended sidings due to condition of the S&C at the south end. There is currently an internal industry consultation going on about converting some of them to single ended sidings with buffer stops permanently (and further discussions also taking place regarding how many should be come dead-end sidings). If you pass by on the steam railway you will notice the 'Stop' markers and lamps etc.

This - to the extent you can see it with the signal in the way - is the far end of the sidings as it was in 2009

post-6859-0-48239500-1318974446_thumb.jpg

This was at a sort of interim stage with changes going on on the SDR side and following transfer of the remaining NR Goodrington Sands sidings to the steam railway - resulting in an interesting arrangement of stop blocks and a very shiny but very redundant STOP board where the line had been severed and the blocks laid in.

post-6859-0-02847500-1318974612_thumb.jpg

The pictures were taken from steam railway property during an official IRSE visit to the line.

PS re Oxford I did manage to get pics of most of the semaphores at Oxford station in their last few months (first find your transparencies then work out how to scan them).

Interesting pics Mike. I was wondering whether I should mention your signalling archive, it's been in the back of my mind since you posted a shot at Reading c1965 way back on the old forum (at leats I think it was). If you do ever get round to scanning them I'm sure I'm not the only one who would love to see them..!

• RMweb Premium

A question for the Captain ,many years ago I saw photos of a horse drawn mineral line near Plymouth that ran alongside network rails ,have you seen any traces on your travels or has it all dissapeared?Like the photos.

That will be the Lee Moor tramway. You can follow the path of this in places however I don't think that there is very much evidence of this remaining.

• RMweb Gold

That will be the Lee Moor tramway. You can follow the path of this in places however I don't think that there is very much evidence of this remaining.

Indeed, Kris is right, but there is published information on the tramway, but not much obvious evidence today, apart from one or two notable places, including one near Marsh Mills.

Archived