E traction kits class 502

(The) Youth

Just seen this

http://homepage.ntlw...on/Products.htm

I'm well on with the first three coaches of what will eventually be 4 x 5 car sets of these trains built from these kits. I have thoroughly enjoyed what I've done so far and can recommend them to anyone interested in Liverpool Area EMUs.

See also <http://class502.org.uk/>

Stan

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

while rmweb has been down I finally got round to glazing this, took a while, Im now 90% finished on the seats, they are really time consuming, they have to be glued into the side of the coach with brass sides to them to represent the wooden sides.

there is loads of different seat sizes and just getting them all together and sorted out is a job in itself. each coach is different.

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/etraction/Seating.htm

i glued some lead into the roof of the power car and fettled it and got it running nice and smooth now.

ive also done the decals on the windows, first class and no smoking, just need to get some cream and black numbers for each coach, ive got some modelmaster ones but they look very yellow rather than cream

will get some pics shortly

Edited by michael delamar
  • Like 3

some pics now that it is glazed, not the best pics, will get some better ones outdoors soon.

it has seats fitted, first class and no smoking decals on the windows,M numbers, hmrs each digit individually done. in some shots you can see the handrails on top of the seats, destinations are Ormskirk and Liverpool.

post-27-0-37360900-1335802494_thumb.jpg

post-27-0-62262000-1335802520_thumb.jpg

post-27-0-25072000-1335802539_thumb.jpg

post-27-0-54251600-1335802558_thumb.jpg

centre trailer with shunting window

post-27-0-96993100-1335802583_thumb.jpg

post-27-0-50530200-1335802609_thumb.jpg

can just see the handrails on the seat through the first window.

post-27-0-69338300-1335802676_thumb.jpg

had this on display at the Liverpool model railway show this weekend and it attracted a lot of interest from ex drivers and passengers.

Known as Poolies Pullmans by the men at Bank Hall shed, as Hall road superintendent Ken Poole ran the depot with a rod of iron.

lots of people remembering the distinctive electrical smell, comfy seats and fearcley shutting doors.

• Like 6
  • Informative/Useful 1

thanks guys.

the glasing of the sides was not as painfull as i thought it would be, I finally got some nice 0.050 with backing either side so it wasnt scratched, cut with scissors and held in place with clothes pegs. the glue was formula560 canopy glue which is excellent.

for the front which is flush glazed i used a thinner plastic, again cut with scissors, it took quite a few goes, quite tricky because the corners are curved, when happy and held in place i brushed Klear onto them to secure them.

the pics seem a bit cruel but in real life it does look better.

• RMweb Premium

Really like those, Michael. Nice to see someone modelling them. I remember the seats as being big, comfortable, dusty and with proper springs!

Is the layout based on somewhere specific - it looks a bit like Atlantic Dock Junction?

David

Hi David, the layout, Swan street goods wasnt built by me, but was based on several areas of Liverpool, your right the cutting is based on Atlantic dock, the viaduct on those in the Sandhills area, also has some old Liverpool pubs on it.

some better outdoor shots.

ive given them a clean as in the earlier shots they where a bit grimy and dusty after putting on all the decals.

on reflection I could maybe have done the front flush glazing a bit better, under close scrutiny of the camera it doesnt look too good but in real life it looks fine .

post-27-0-75641900-1336050899_thumb.jpg

post-27-0-34408500-1336050919_thumb.jpg

post-27-0-38228800-1336050937_thumb.jpg

post-27-0-62378300-1336051026_thumb.jpg

post-27-0-28898500-1336051186_thumb.jpg

post-27-0-07856200-1336051322_thumb.jpg

post-27-0-59050200-1336051374_thumb.jpg

Mike

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Thanks for the photos, Mike. Shame that I couldn't see them 'in the flesh (metal)' at the show last weekend but I was on a ferry to Ireland. I always used to enjoy the section of line from Bank Hall through Sandhills to Exchange because it was elevated and you could see such a lot. There is a brilliant shot in 'Merseyside Electrics' which looks over the approaches to Exchange and includes Great Howard Street goods. Some great modelling material there.

David

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

That's the one! Brilliant, especially like the 02 shunter standing down in the goods yard along with all those lovely ventilated vans :sungum:

David

• Like 1