New Industrial 0-6-0t

Wild Boar Fell

Sorry if the fine® scale bit has caused any confusion. It should have read 'finer' with the 'r' in brackets. I used to think computers did what you told them to do, not what you wanted them to do. Why can't the b***** things behave themselves.

quick tip insert a space within bracket ,stop it thinking for its self!

laurnce

cant even spell me name right today!!

laurence

The Jouef 0-6-0 is a great little model, and a nice runner too, it's controllable enough to be a good shunter.

In the Imagineering verus the Rivit Counter standoff it wins, a much better model than the old over length Hornby 0-4-0 pug, which seems to be exceptable to a lot of people despite it's over size wheel base and body. The 0-6-0 captures the spirit of a small tank engine.

The Jouef 0-6-0 is a great little model, and a nice runner too, it's controllable enough to be a good shunter.

In the Imagineering verus the Rivit Counter standoff it wins, a much better model than the old over length Hornby 0-4-0 pug, which seems to be exceptable to a lot of people despite it's over size wheel base and body. The 0-6-0 captures the spirit of a small tank engine.

I assume you mean the Caledonian (esque) pug rather than the ex-Dapol L&Y pug which is pretty good, especially with a High Level chassis?

This might be an ok runner but I think people would have been happier with a proper Peckett/Barclay etc.

• RMweb Gold

This might be an ok runner but I think people would have been happier with a proper Peckett/Barclay etc.

I agree with Craig here. There is no such thing as a 'generic British industrial loco'. All the different manufacturers had their own house style but none of them, in my view, looked like this little fellow here. There is an excellent etched kit for the big Scottish Barclays by High Level, of course http://www.highlevelkits.co.uk/ (it is one of the Waterside ones). Whilst still a novice in the matter of British industrial locos, I've nevertheless seen enough photos to know what looks convincing to me and what does not.

Where this item may score, however, is as already mentioned by others, as a basis for heavy modification or even a new scratchbuilt body, using the chassis. It ought to be relatively straightforward to produce a new plasticard body of a Barclay side tank, for example, to fit this chassis, although you may end up compromising on the chassis with regard to wheel diameters, spacing etc.

• RMweb Gold

I'm sure you're right. But at what price? Kernow's magic 0298 retails at a reasonable but hardly cheap £92. This much-derided HO thingie with rather crude wheel standards can be bought for about £40 if you're prepared to do business with Johnny Foreigner - and at that price you won't have the NCB livery to overlook. Apples and oranges, I think.

I'm sure you're right. But at what price? Kernow's magic 0298 retails at a reasonable but hardly cheap £92. This much-derided HO thingie with rather crude wheel standards can be bought for about £40 if you're prepared to do business with Johnny Foreigner - and at that price you won't have the NCB livery to overlook. Apples and oranges, I think.

But people could have bought one of these for a while abroad (im assuming its not new tooling) and made it look British. I and this thread were mainly about the OnTracks 'British industrial' which is quite a decent amount of money for a repaint of a H0 trainset object. In that context it would have been better to have had a proper commission although I really it would have been a very different proposition for OnTracks.

You could probably offer an industrial that has far more variety of liveries and operating sphere than a Well Tank too and also cover the 'that;s cute' aspect of sales so maybe get it out at £80 maybe or possibly slightly less? The Well Tank does have two distinct body styles for a start.

We've had DMU's, EMU's, one off prototypes so an industrial design BR didn't have any of might be the last bastion to be covered. Unless Dapol gets 4mm rights to the Ixion 7mm one anyway.. Might be one way that. Edit: Actually ignore that, I hadn't realised its a brass model and not plastic.

Yup, I think I'm another who can probably use the chassis to make something vaguely representing a British industrial, so all is not lost, but not much more... Somehow I can see a flood of these bodies appearing on eBay!

• RMweb Premium

Unless Dapol gets 4mm rights to the Ixion 7mm one anyway.. Might be one way that. Edit: Actually ignore that, I hadn't realised its a brass model and not plastic.

You were right the first time - and the second time as well !

Ixion are actually producing two 7mm locos in the next couple of months as shown below, copied from their web site http://www.ixionmode...elcome_page.htm

The first, an H Class Manning Wardle 0-4-0ST is a limited-run, hand built and painted RTR brass model. The second, the Hudswell Clarke 13x20in 0-6-0ST standard contractor's tank, will be the best value RTR steam engine yet seen in the British O gauge market. Delivery of both models is expected around New Year.

The Hudswell Clarke is available to order from EDM Models for £235. http://www.ngtrains....sell_clark.html

Having spoken to both Chris Klein of Ixion and Dave of Dapol at Warley, I'm not aware of any connection between the two companies as far as O gauge goes - and the N Gauge Manor is now a Dapol only model as they have bought the rights from Ixion.

Sorry for drifting away from the original topic and to bring this back to the original subject, Paul at EDM has bought some of the original Jouef locos to sell as possible conversions to 7mm narrow gauge - bin the body (or make significant changes) and use the chassis.

Mike

I'd be really interested to see if anyone could come up with any evidence anything acceptably close to that has ever existed.

Not in Scotland. I've checked the IRS area handbook and only one Kerr Stuart (for that's what it's claimed to be in a thread in the Indutrial Stand Gauge section of this forum http://www.rmweb.co....-t-kerr-stuart/ ) standard gauge 0-6-0T is listed and that was at Rosyth dockyard. The suppliers of this model are referring to it as an Andrew Barclay, which it is most definitely NOT. I'm also a bit dubious about it being a Kerr Stuart but am willing to be proved wrong on that one.

Regarding the AB loco photo that was linked to,

In danger of getting my tin hat blown off, but looking at the link you provided, you can understand to some extent why Ontracks picked that particular model. It's not a million miles away from the outline of the actual Ayr 0-6-0T you linked us too.

Hell, new cab, buffers, Giesel ejector, it's halfway there...! If you remove the dome, change the cab's height and spectacle shape, then add a bunker, you get a closer approximation.

You'll never get a spot on recreation of the actual industrial starting with this model as a base, assuredly, but I think a half decent representation could be made out of cutting and shutting the bodyshell, and adding whitemetal components.

A closer approximation isn't good enough. Would you say the same of an LMS Black Five, cut and shut, a few whitemetal components added and called a GWR Hall class? No, you wouldn't and I'm sure that no one else would either. Basically if you want an Andrew Barclay, you scratch one or buy a kit. A HO RTR model of dubious parentage is never going to be one no matter what!

Of course if anyone really wants to buy a model of a loco that may allegedly have built in Britain for a foreign market and is sold in a fictitious livery to go with rolling stock in a different scale then go ahead...

• RMweb Premium

Despite my past whinges about the lack of decent 4mm scale industrials I'm minded to think that the modelling world is a better place for the release of this loco. What's changed my mind? Two things and they're both in the other thread about this model. First there's Olddudders link to this very tasty breathed on example and within the thread itself is another take on the raw material by Knobhead. Both are attractive models in their own right, I wonder who the first will be to do something with a British Flavour.

A quick look through "RENFE steam remembered" by L G Marshall suggests that the loco is a model of Maquinista built 030-0232 "Palau" from the Mollet-Caldas Railway built in 1887 or one of its sisters.

http://www.clubcece.es/pdf/locomotora.htm

http://www.ateeme.net/angles/at109loc.htm

http://lestrainsjouef.free.fr/fr/vap_fra/hj-030tj_sncf.html

• 5 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Has anyone actually purchased one of these? Ontracks reckon thay only have fifty left from 500! If so,what is the wheelbase and wheel diameter please, as I have a cunning plan!

Cheers,Peter C.

Archived