Bachmann Midland Pullman

Ian Hargrave

... Any further ideas would be welcome as I can't see anything obvious that's wrong....

How frustrating....may be even an issue with Coach E? Having had mine on and off the kitchen table a few times I would just reiterate that the couplings do need to be pressed tightly together. They can be difficult to engage and then suddenly they appear to smoothly slide together. I did imagine that holding the coaches up at an angle helped them to initially engage. Once the couplings are slid together you need to use the Bachmann Coupling tools (or small screw drivers) to push the two couplings and lock them together. Maybe if in doubt an email to the shop or Bachmann?

Good luck

Ray

Last night I unearthed from the loft a copy of,Modern Railways Pictorial,Profile:10 The Blue Pullmans,dated Aug/Oct 1985,makes an interesting read(after a long time packed away) in comprison to the three Kevin Robertson books,with even more interesting photographs of the BP's..

Very strange - I too have the book and can only count five roofs on the BP...

If you are referring to the photo on page 35 of 'The 74 Westerns' showing D1032 hauling a Blue Pullman, there are six vehicles. I have just looked at the image under a magnifying glass. You can see clearly the first four vehicles including two parlour firsts. The large vents on the roof of the next vehicle, a kitchen first, are visible and you can just make out the roof of the trailing driving motor parlour at the rear. There are other published photos of this special working which show clearly a full six-car set, notably one at Dawlish Warren by David Canning if I recall correctly.

Keith-As mentioned earlier in the thread ,there was a surprising number of the all blue sets available at Warley.

Cheltenham Models for example had around six boxes ,on Saturday pm ,in view at £290.

Best of luck.

Alan

Hi Alan,

Yes, that's what so bizarre - there are plenty of them available. Hattons, Kernow and Gaugemaster (to name just three) are showing stock for immediate delivery so presumably there isn't a shortage and all these three companies must have got sufficeient stock to honour their pre-orders before offering them for general sale.. You'd think that Rails would have made every effort to fulfil pre-orders in the interests of customer loyalty and repeat orders. It's not as though every last production model was snapped up within five minutes of them going on sale..I'm sure that Bachmann realised that the version with the blue ends would be far more popular than the yellow ended version and geared production accordingly. I don't know if I'm the only one who didn't get their pre-ordered model from Rails, but I certainly won't be placing any further pre-orders with them.

Just for interest I'll attach a pic of my old Triang Blue Pullman set, only one intermediate coach though!

post-13593-0-06923800-1354054651_thumb.jpg

Keith

Hi Alan,

Yes, that's what so bizarre - there are plenty of them available. Hattons, Kernow and Gaugemaster (to name just three) are showing stock for immediate delivery so presumably there isn't a shortage and all these three companies must have got sufficeient stock to honour their pre-orders before offering them for general sale.. You'd think that Rails would have made every effort to fulfil pre-orders in the interests of customer loyalty and repeat orders. It's not as though every last production model was snapped up within five minutes of them going on sale..I'm sure that Bachmann realised that the version with the blue ends would be far more popular than the yellow ended version and geared production accordingly. I don't know if I'm the only one who didn't get their pre-ordered model from Rails, but I certainly won't be placing any further pre-orders with them.

Just for interest I'll attach a pic of my old Triang Blue Pullman set, only one intermediate coach though!

Keith

It's hardly Rails' fault if they have been short supplied by Bachmann. Just because I failed to receive a pre order from a shop does not mean i wouldn't buy from them again.

Hi Alan,

post-13593-0-06923800-1354054651_thumb.jpg

Keith

I have one on pre order with Rails as well.

When it didn't turn up from the first batch I rang them & was told mine would be from the 2nd batch.

My card was hit last Friday so I presume its on its way.

Rails are showing none for sale right now.

My replacement Power Car 'A' arrived yesterday from Hattons (Thank you Hattons) just fitted the blank chip after running in with the DCC and everything is now fine.

Was running mine in tonight and ran perfectly in one direction and when reversed power car A sounded like a bag of spanners and ran a little jerkily. It did not cure itself after 10 mins so stopped it.

is this similar to what was wrong with yours Petee19.

I will be taking back to shop by weekend.

cheerho

Richard

I do not personally have a 00 Midland Pullman, but one of my neighbours has a 00 layout on which a relative attempted to run HIS BP last weekend, it was found to be impossible to run it over Peco points, whilst the non powered bogies on power cars and trailers were fine as far as Back to Back were concerned the Back to Back measurments on BOTH power bogies were hopelessly incorrect, The unit was returned to Hattons, there is no news yet on the replacement unit!!

• RMweb Gold

Was running mine in tonight and ran perfectly in one direction and when reversed power car A sounded like a bag of spanners and ran a little jerkily. It did not cure itself after 10 mins so stopped it.

cheerho

Richard

You do not state whether you are running on Analogue DC or Digital DCC. If it's analogue,remove the chips in both power cars and fit the blanking pins provided. Follow advice provided elsewhere in this topic on how to do it. If this doesn't cure it ,then you DO have a problem.

It's hardly Rails' fault if they have been short supplied by Bachmann. Just because I failed to receive a pre order from a shop does not mean i wouldn't buy from them again.

My understanding is that Bachmann have shipped out (assuming the retailer' account is in good order which I'm not suggesting this is the issue at all in this case) all of the second tranche of stock so all relevant retailers will have had their pre-ordered quantities fulfilled, no-one's been short supplied now on their order quantity. If a customer hasn't received an item they've pre-ordered within the next few days the best advice is to speak to that retailer and see if the pre-order can be met and if it can't be for whatever reason to identify other retailers with stock available.

cheerho

Richard

With this in mind.... I ran my 'A' power car and it sounded like the brass bearings were dry, so I opened up the car and stripped the drive mechanism down, the worm had grease but the brass shaft bearings were dry on the motor, just to make sure I added a drop of oil on the gear tower bearings either side of the worm drive too. After that no noise, and ran fine.

Roy

... I opened up the car and stripped the drive mechanism down, the worm had grease but the brass shaft bearings were dry on the motor, just to make sure I added a drop of oil on the gear tower bearings either side of the worm drive too. After that no noise, and ran fine.

Exactly - yes have had to do all that as well - I said earlier on in this thread that my model had been on the kitchen table as few times. There was a discussion recently under the Heljan thread about the suspect quality of their new Chinese made models. Is it a race to the bottom -I wonder what the answer is?

Ray

cheerho

Richard

Sound's very similar Richard to my problem,I returned mine to Hattons who have replaced it this week and the new one seems fine so far.I see from posts after yours that others have stripped their's down and added a spot of oil.personally I didn't want to do that just in case i ended up with the dealer saying I had caused the problem by taking it apart.

I'm disappointed. I saw the thread about Midland Pullmans and thought Bachmann were doing models of these

Thanks for the plug! But if you want more picture examples, see the full photostream http://www.flickr.co...s/67908005@N02/, and for meore example of clerestory coaches worldwide, see : http://www.flickr.co...ps/2031425@N22/ where there are many American outline cars, as well as others built overseas.

That looks a bit like the one that Triang did, god knows how many year ago.

Yes, American outline but dimensions wrong, too short etc.: ( Triang "Old Time" Clerestory coach, OO Gauge. ). Compare to the pics in the photostream and group. Avid and skilled modellers might cannibalise two into one, though. R448-"Old Time coach" in the Davy Crocket set; produced 1962-1965.

If there is enought demand, Labelle ( https://www.labellemodels.com/ ) might be prepered to build a suitable run, as their kits are nearest that I can find. This would be appropriate as Labelle make in wood, and the coaches in the 1880's were all wood including integral underframe.

However, all this is essentially "off topic", and I will start another topic therefore, as I do not want to detract from the "Blue Pullmans", especially the Midland Pullman itself. http://www.flickr.co...57630989929820/ .

My understanding is that Bachmann have shipped out (assuming the retailer' account is in good order which I'm not suggesting this is the issue at all in this case) all of the second tranche of stock so all relevant retailers will have had their pre-ordered quantities fulfilled, no-one's been short supplied now on their order quantity. If a customer hasn't received an item they've pre-ordered within the next few days the best advice is to speak to that retailer and see if the pre-order can be met and if it can't be for whatever reason to identify other retailers with stock available.

Hi Andy, The wording of the email that I received from Rails on 26 Nov is 'we have been short supplied by our suppliers and we are therefore unable to fulfill this order'. If what you say is true, then perhaps they just didn't order enough. They were still, however, taking orders for it after the first batch had been received, although I think the price had increased. I guess the reality will have to remain one of those mysteries. There's clearly no difficulty in getting one of these models - Hattons, Kernow and Gaugemaster to name but three are all showing available stock. In reply to steveb860, I didn't say that I wouldn't buy from Rails again, but that I'd be reluctant to pre-order an item only to have the same thing happen again. Having said that, at the end of the day, a model railway isn't a basic necessity of life after all!

Cheers

Keith

I've finally got one of these and one power car was very noisy and rough. Having seen some of the post about noisy gearboxes and rough running, I set about taking a look. When I got the bogie out, I tried turning the cardan shaft to see if I could hear anything, and it didn't turn smoothly and felt as though something was catching as it went round. I took it out to turn the worm with a screwdriver and it was perfectly smooth. On looking at the cardan shaft, I noticed that the two ends were different, so I replaced it the other way round with the smaller end in the worm and the larger end with the reactangular drive pieces in the motor end. This cleared the problem and it's now smooth and quiet. Apologies if this has been posted already, but if you get one with noisy rough running, it's worth checking that the cardan shaft has been assembled the right way round.

Cheers

Keithpost-13593-0-12543600-1354390554_thumb.jpg

Smaller more rounded end (right hand end in photo) should go into the worm gear on the bogie

post-13593-0-12543600-1354390554_thumb.jpg

Thanks for that Keith.

I found that one of the power cars was a bit rough in one direction, nothing too bad but not smooth as one might expect from Bachmann.

I figured my example might just need a bit more running in but that would have to wait.

I will have look at the drive shaft next time the layout is permitted to take over the living space (Xmas week I hope!).

Thanks again for your advice,

RP

Archived