Bachmann Midland Pullman

Ian Hargrave

Mike, I'm still finding my way round, so bear with me. The whole tower assembly is held in place with one screw and once released the whole bogie comes out as one unit. Pickups are via metal strips that make contact with some spring strips inside the chassis, so no wiring to hold it in place. I was able to unclip the gearbox assembly from the inside, which appears only accessible once the bogie is out. Unless it's my eyesight (possibly!) I can't see any access points from the outside of the motor bogie that could allow it to come apart without removing the body and then the bogie first.

If anyone wants me to post some pics of it apart, please shout before it goes back together...

• RMweb Gold

You have to go back in time to witness a Blue Pullman at Doncaster - but such a superb model could not be missed. And superb it is. The power cars work well together, are controllable, have a good low speed and plenty in reserve. Sound is all that is missing (although I note that each is ready to accept a speaker once someone produces a suitable decoder).

If the power cars are good, then the coaches are even better. They feel solid and appear very well put together. The nicely modelled interior has already been commented upon, but what I noticed was how free-running they are on the track (the result of the metal axle bearing being supported in a metal cup used also for picking up electricity. I did not find that the couplings were tricky to put together, or to separate (using a tool provided).

I was very impressed with the fact that the coach lights, table lights and cab lights are on different circuits and can be controlled independent of one another: a nice touch.

Just as the Hornby Class 60 sets the standard for RTR 00 diesel locos, I reckon these coaches set the standard against which all others are judged. I can only imagine a rake of mk 2 air cons built to this standard, with through electric couplings (perhaps as an option) and understated interior lighting.

Since no one else has yet done so, I have taken a few pics which are attached to this post.

Great work, and I really hope the model makes a good return for Bachmann: it deserves to.

post-3981-0-94641500-1352479883_thumb.jpgpost-3981-0-69656100-1352480107_thumb.jpgpost-3981-0-72502600-1352480160_thumb.jpgpost-3981-0-61857600-1352480206_thumb.jpgpost-3981-0-27462400-1352480267_thumb.jpgpost-3981-0-02466600-1352480322_thumb.jpgpost-3981-0-51426500-1352480359_thumb.jpgpost-3981-0-46181300-1352480390_thumb.jpg

Called into Hattons in Liverpool this morning. A Midland Pullman was proudly on display in the cabinet. Boy she's a beaut.

Won't be buying one though, well, not just yet !!!!

Brit15

why do you have to take the body off to get at the wheels, do the bogies not unclip?

Yes, the bogie frame will unclip if a small screwdriver is used on the outer end of the bogie to lever the frame out slightly and over the retaining projection. Came off quite easily.

Colin

Got my Blue Pullman Tuesday but had first chance to get at it tonight. Wow what a model! It ran perfectly straight from the box using Dynamis with no derailing over any of the standard peco points I have. The interiors look superb, especially when lit - problem is you can see how empty the cars are of passengers! The lights at front and back look just the right brightness to me. Although I model the southern in the 1980's I got this because it is just a fantastic model and is probably one of the most iconic trains along with the 125. Thank you Bachmann - I am really looking forward to getting an N gauge version as well!

You have to go back in time to witness a Blue Pullman at Doncaster - but such a superb model could not be missed. And superb it is. The power cars work well together, are controllable, have a good low speed and plenty in reserve. Sound is all that is missing (although I note that each is ready to accept a speaker once someone produces a suitable decoder).

If the power cars are good, then the coaches are even better. They feel solid and appear very well put together. The nicely modelled interior has already been commented upon, but what I noticed was how free-running they are on the track (the result of the metal axle bearing being supported in a metal cup used also for picking up electricity. I did not find that the couplings were tricky to put together, or to separate (using a tool provided).

I was very impressed with the fact that the coach lights, table lights and cab lights are on different circuits and can be controlled independent of one another: a nice touch.

Just as the Hornby Class 60 sets the standard for RTR 00 diesel locos, I reckon these coaches set the standard against which all others are judged. I can only imagine a rake of mk 2 air cons built to this standard, with through electric couplings (perhaps as an option) and understated interior lighting.

Since no one else has yet done so, I have taken a few pics which are attached to this post.

Great work, and I really hope the model makes a good return for Bachmann: it deserves to.

post-3981-0-94641500-1352479883_thumb.jpgpost-3981-0-69656100-1352480107_thumb.jpgpost-3981-0-72502600-1352480160_thumb.jpgpost-3981-0-61857600-1352480206_thumb.jpgpost-3981-0-27462400-1352480267_thumb.jpgpost-3981-0-02466600-1352480322_thumb.jpgpost-3981-0-51426500-1352480359_thumb.jpgpost-3981-0-46181300-1352480390_thumb.jpg

Simply fantastic and I have no obvious link/desire/etc for one of these things. The blue with yellow ends one looks like a) a dog and B) wrong according to 'those in the know'...may become collectable therefore as no one buys it!

Didn't someone promote the idea that they are popular due to the similarity in shape to a part of a male anatomy?

I remember that I liked the colour....I can't remember seeing them in the flesh (so to speak), I could have done being old enough but they travelled on lines way beyond my stomping ground in the east at the time.

I have not ordered one, one would sure look nice on my desk, however.

Best, Pete.

If yours is a) that shape and B) that shade of blue, Pete I suggest you seek medical advice and quickly!

If yours is a) that shape and B) that shade of blue, Pete I suggest you seek medical advice and quickly!

Mine's got a yellow end too - should I be extra worried ?? :O

Seriously though - P123 of "Blue Pullman" shows one in the same yellow end condition (right back over the cab doors) @ Newbury.

As one who bangs on a bit about hi-vis lighting on models, I have to say that I am impressed by the dim lighting on mine. Unchipped and on plain old clockwork DC that is. Just enough of a red light to know that it is there, that is all. Front lights are also not too bad either. I'll still be covering mine up with the discs supplied though....

Stewart

Mine is now running fine after adjusting the wheels on Car F. The bogie frame can be prised off easily with a small screwdriver as it's held in by lugs at each end - pretty standard for Bachmann units. Each driving wheel is on a stub axle that fits into the central plastic gear, which is also the insulation between the two sides. I just put each wheel on a flat hard surface and applied a gentle tap with a small hammer to nudge the axle a bit further into the wheel, then reassembled each wheelset and checked the back to back. Mine has been running round the layout faultlessly for the last 40 minutes on running in trials.

As one who bangs on a bit about hi-vis lighting on models, I have to say that I am impressed by the dim lighting on mine. Unchipped and on plain old clockwork DC that is. Just enough of a red light to know that it is there, that is all. Front lights are also not too bad either. I'll still be covering mine up with the discs supplied though....

Stewart

I agree - lights are good in marked contrast to the ridiculous high-intensity ones on the Derby Lightweight DMUs.

As I still operate DC,should I be replacing the decoders with the blank one's supplied or is it safe to run the set with the DCC decoders fitted by Bachmann..

What are the pro's and con's for replacing the decoders with the blank ones.

The set appears to be running perfectly well as supplied with the decoders in.

Thanks in advance for any help.

As I still operate DC,should I be replacing the decoders with the blank one's supplied or is it safe to run the set with the DCC decoders fitted by Bachmann..

What are the pro's and con's for replacing the decoders with the blank ones.

The set appears to be running perfectly well as supplied with the decoders in.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Sorry,I have just seen a previous post ( 745 ) which answers my questions.

Thanks.

Hello folks,

Just for info I've posted a video of me unboxing and placing the BP on rails, fitting the under cab details and testing the DCC lights;- Fn 0 = directional head/tail lights, Fn 1 coach lighting and Fn 2 cab lights.

(for desktop computers)

(for mobile devices)

Hope this I'll persuade those on the buying fence if they need one or not ;)

P.S it's not running in the video, there are others already on You-tube for that.

Regards

Roy

Edit = removed extra duplicate text + (12/11/2012) addition of desktop link

no mention of unwanted light bleed through the bodysides, on the track from underneath or along any of the join lines which was always the danger with so much lighting going on.

seems Bachmann really did their homework on this model and hopefully the lessons with the lighting learnt on this will be carried over to other Bachmann products - the new class 40 being one such model thats been in the making now for many years.

i really like the wooden partitions. to be honest i wouldnt have spotted that detail had it not been pointed out to me.

the inside of those coaches just looks so damn inviting........and yes it surely has raised the bar now for new coaching stock to come.

• RMweb Gold

Just for info I've posted a video of me unboxing and placing the BP on rails, fitting the under cab details and testing the DCC lights;- Fn 0 = directional head/tail lights, Fn 1 coach lighting and Fn 2 cab lights.

Unfortunately neither Google Chrome nor Internet Explorer will let me look at this footage... anyone else having problems viewing it? (thanks for posting, Roy, I just with my IT would let me see it!).

Unfortunately neither Google Chrome nor Internet Explorer will let me look at this footage... anyone else having problems viewing it? (thanks for posting, Roy, I just with my IT would let me see it!).

The link led to the mobile version, the normal link is:

Archived