Cowans Sheldon

firefly9

Has anyone got available for sale/copying/borrowing a set of engineers drawings for the cowans sheldon 76 ton breakdown cranes as rebuilt after the mid 1970's. I'm not after the modern hydraulic jib ones. I'm after drawings of the crane that the Hornby 75 tonner is based on, like my profile pic on the left. any help much appreciated. Rich

Are you a member of DEMU?

If no-one else comes up with anything, and you are a member, they're drawing exchange service may be able to help you.

(Alas since my modelling interests have gone decidedly pre gouping I'm no longer a member)

Mike

There's a recently published book on the subjact.

http://www.noodleboo...oduct/view/2061

Whether Vol.1 covers your period of interest, l can't say. lt does include plenty of drawings, though.

I haven't seen Peter's new book, but understand the two volumes are divided into smaller and larger cranes, so the big later ones are in volume 2. I am aware that Peter is at proofing stage of volume 2 but I don't know when it will appear - possibly it will depend on sales of volume 1 (which is being heavily discounted via Amazon!)

Paul Bartlett

There's a recently published book on the subjact.

http://www.noodlebooks.co.uk/product/view/2061

Whether Vol.1 covers your period of interest, l can't say. lt does include plenty of drawings, though.

Thank you for drawing attention to that, Ceptic, I wasn't aware that there was a new book on what is a neglected subject.

At risk of straying into the domain of the "Media" forum, other general works are "Carlisle's Crane Makers: The Cowans Sheldon Story" (Earnshaw, 2004) and "Railway Steam Cranes" (Brownlie, 1973), not that easy to find (the latter often quite expensive). I'm not near my library at the moment, but I don't think either contain engineering drawings.

The SLS library has a copy of "Discussion of Design & Development of 75 Tonne Rail Cranes", a 1979 paper from the Insitute of Mechanical Engineers (8pp), but I have no idea of its contents.

As far as I can ascertain, the Cowans Sheldon records are held at the Cumbria Archive Centre, Carlisle (http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/archon/searches/locresult_details.asp?LR=23), which might be a good place to start research into what drawings exist.

(which is being heavily discounted via Amazon!)

Paul Bartlett

Er, yes. Title currently listed on Amazon as "Railway Breakdown Cranes: Volume 1: The Publisher's RRP is £33. NOT £35. Therefore the saving is not as high as you state."

Peter Tatlows Vol 1 covers cranes without relieveing bogies.

For the crane your looking at will be covered in Vol 2, which it has been suggested will be out next year.

If vol 2 is as good as vol1 then there is a good chance there will be general drawing for the Cowans crane.

From a very happy owner of Vol 1.

Gordon A

Bristol

• 2 weeks later...

Peter Tatlow's Vol 1 covers cranes without relieving bogies.

For the crane your looking at will be covered in Vol 2, which it has been suggested will be out next year.

If vol 2 is as good as vol1 then there is a good chance there will be general drawing for the Cowans crane.

From a very happy owner of Vol 1.

Gordon A

Bristol

Sorry, Gordon is right, volume 1 will not cover the big cranes such as what you are looking for. The writing of volume 2 is fairly well advanced, as are the drawings (which will, I am sure, include the Cowans Sheldon cranes). I beleive the ETA for the publication of no 2 is around this time next year - Kevin (of Noodle Books willing!).

I can tell you that I know that both the Hornby and the old Hornby Double O models are both quite badly basta*dised! I think they tended to mix in the jib of a smaller crane so it was more able to go around toy track curves!

Whilst I would have to admit to a little bias (I am the author's son!), I did think that volume 1 is a very good book; both from a historian's point of view but also a modeller's. The history of the development of these things, with several firms competing to make their product better/more attractive than the others was very interesting.

One family matter to be overcome but if you are at the Glasgow show, my father is likely to be there and is likely to be on hand with one of the booksellers to autograph the book if that is of interest to you?

Well Tatty, please pass on my compliments to your father, as I've had my copy of Volume 1 for around a week and am very impressed (as with his other books and articles, I must add). I'm pleased to see from the blurb about it that Volume 2 will include diesel cranes among the larger steam examples.

One thing that initially threw me - I should have read the title more carefully at first - is that the new book restricts itself to breakdown cranes, whereas Brownlie casts a wider net to include permanent way cranes and some crane locomotives.

One thing that initially threw me - I should have read the title more carefully at first - is that the new book restricts itself to breakdown cranes, whereas Brownlie casts a wider net to include permanent way cranes and some crane locomotives.

And a rather large and fragmented topic that is too!!

Whilst I think that breakdown cranes is my father's prime interest, i am not sure the other cranes are a never say never option.

I will pass your comments on to my father, thanks.

Er, yes. Title currently listed on Amazon as "Railway Breakdown Cranes: Volume 1: The Publisher's RRP is £33. NOT £35. Therefore the saving is not as high as you state."

I got mine from Amazon, admittedly pre-order for £26 to be honest it is worth the £33/35 it's an excellent book.

Brownlie casts a wider net to include permanent way cranes and some crane locomotives.

Brownlie's book is "Railway Steam Cranes" so IIRC the 1961/2 diesel cranes only get a brief mention as they fall outside the title. Tatlow's books are about Breakdown Cranes per se so should include the diesels. Other railway company cranes, steam or diesel, could presumably cover volumes of their own, especially if you include runner and crew vehicles.

Mark,

For what it is worth I would also be very interested in a book on rail mounted industrial cranes.

Gordon A

Bristol

The Track Machines books by Roger Butcher, published by Platform 5 included BR smaller cranes - although simply listings. I have quite a lot of photographs of such cranes in this gallery http://paulbartlett.zenfolio.com/ontrackplant For the modeller these are of rather more use than the much rarer breakdown cranes. But, with so many types, origins, etc. they would be a difficult subject to get into a book.

Paul Bartlett

• 1 month later...

The SLS library has a copy of "Discussion of Design & Development of 75 Tonne Rail Cranes", a 1979 paper from the Insitute of Mechanical Engineers (8pp), but I have no idea of its contents.

This - very interesting paper - concerns the development and design of the (not altogether successful) telescopic-jib diesel-hydraulic cranes of which four remain in service at present. Copies are available from the IMechE.

I gave my A2 copies away a few years ago, they had a full detail jib drawing with it, I got them from Cowans, cant remember where my A3 set is.

I was intending to super detail the Hornby model but found out someone was producing one in O guage, so I lent them the drawings.

Ian G

• 8 months later...

At risk of straying into the domain of the "Media" forum, other general works are "Carlisle's Crane Makers: The Cowans Sheldon Story" (Earnshaw, 2004) and "Railway Steam Cranes" (Brownlie, 1973), not that easy to find (the latter often quite expensive). .

I've just listed a copy of the John Brownlie book in the classifieds section - it may be difficult to obtain, and expensive, but I seem to have managed to buy TWO copies. :fool:

Jon

Archived