Gresley Full Brake's

Ed-farms

• RMweb Premium

Bit of a curve ball there, several magazines had intimated that it wasn't expected until the end of this year. Could be an expensive trip to Doncaster on Saturday!

• RMweb Premium

Bit of a curve ball there, several magazines had intimated that it wasn't expected until the end of this year. Could be an expensive trip to Doncaster on Saturday!

Yes I got confused by that too, but I think thats a second batch due at end of year

• RMweb Gold

Hi all,

Don't think of it as a typo...

Think of it as an indicator of what is likely to happen to prices later in the year. :O

Thanks

Re: Hattons.

R4522 / R4531 / R4531A, In stock, £30 + Shipping.

R4531B, Due 3rd. Qtr. Pre-order, £38 + Shipping...Is this price a typo ??

What Hornby are doing (as they have in the past) is that items ordered in 2011 but not released will normally arrive at the quoted 2011 Trade Price. However any further stock ordered this year will arrive at the 2012 Trade Price. So Hornby are being fair with the trade (and it follows customers) whom ordered in good faith for 2011 delivery, even though Hornby will not have charged retailers until the goods have actually arrived in 2012.

The beading and tumblehome are definately different to the earlier Gresley corridor stock.

Not quite correct, to the best of my knowledge:

You may have noticed that Hornby have corrected the location of the middle lower beading [and the grain direction] for the latest versions of their Gresley corridors so as to match the forthcoming full brake. That is as far as the budget stretched so the other errors still remain.

(my bold)

This is a quote from Mike Trice on the LNER Forum, I dont think he'll mind me using it here to set the record straight. He may also have said it here, but it's easier to find over there.

I take that quote to relate to the next batch of the older Gresley stock having its beading moved so as to match the BG rather than the BG has been tooled with the same profile as the older coaches. When viewed against a square straight edge there is a definate increase in the curvature of the BGs bodyside.

GresleyTumblehome.jpg

The BG is to the left, and one from an older run to the right. The overall width of the chassis hasn't changed so I assume that the BG is still incorrect, but they have definately given its tumblehome a more defined curve than the slab sided coaches that preceeded it. Its by no means perfect, but it is a bit more palatable than the other coaches in the gangwayed range, to my eye at least (but then I'm no Gresley fan :pardon_mini: )

I take that quote to relate to the next batch of the older Gresley stock having its beading moved so as to match the BG rather than the BG has been tooled with the same profile as the older coaches.

True enough, it can be read more than one way and it's often difficult to second-guess Hornby. My apologies, thanks for the pic :good_mini:

Just how often do you see a coach end on?

On the layout the slab sides are hardly visible but people jump up and down about them being wrong.

I regard the over width underframe as being a greater visual problem. Then I am often the lone voice crying in the wilderness.

In this case Coachman has also noticed it and acted to solve it.

One should be in the post for me today.

Bernard

I'll go along with that Bernard. I've never considered the Gresley's that bad - though clearly there are some things wrong, I can live with them, even without altering the underframe, but then I'm not that fussy, and of the camp that still considers the Ian Kirk models - especially in the price department and with a few MJT additions to be not that bad either.

Just how often do you see a coach end on?

On the layout the slab sides are hardly visible but people jump up and down about them being wrong.

I regard the over width underframe as being a greater visual problem. Then I am often the lone voice crying in the wilderness.

In this case Coachman has also noticed it and acted to solve it.

One should be in the post for me today.

Bernard

Good grief !!.

Is it not better to spend a little more time getting it right, than spending slightly less time, getting it wrong, and then spending more time, putting it right ??

Guest Max Stafford

Probably. But with no prospect of a full retool, many of us whilst recognising the model's limitations are prepared to accept a degree of compromise in this instance.

Dave.

• RMweb Premium

I bought one at Doncaster, too (£29.20 from Ivel Models), and am pleased with it - I agree with Bernard and Bob.

As predicted, the position of the middle horizontal beading has been corrected.

However a point to maybe bear in mind is that the real BGs were built with a different body profile to the passenger carrying vehicles, and the curvature of the sides was flatter. Holding the model up to Nick Campling's drawing in 'Historic Carriage Drawings', it seems to match as nearly as makes no difference.

I think the point about the over-wide underframe is a good one; thanks to Coachmann for pointing this out, as I couldn't quite put my finger on what looked a bit odd, although it does perhaps explain why I think the passenger carrying ones look better from the compartment side, as the continuous footboard masks the solebar on that side to some extent. I've never had the nerve to carry out the major suregery that he does!

One thing I've never seen remarked on but is easy to correct is the gangways, which are too wide on the Hornby Gresleys by about 3mm, not tall enough and also lack any representation of the top cover. On passenger carrying vehicles I've replaced these with MJT-type folded paper ones, but for the full brake (which will probably spend most of its life in parcels trains where end shields would be inappropriate), I've got some old Westward white metal gangways which have been stashed away for years and I hope will suit (other makes are available). I feel this does make a significant improvement to the end-on view aspect of these vehicles.

As has been observed some subtle changes were made to the profile. The Full Brake was developed with the brief that maximum use was made of existing tooling so the overwide underframe had to be utilised as did the incorrect 8'6" bogies. It is also true that the lower middle beading is now correctly located, which causes a bit of a problem as it would not match the existing vehicles. Hornby wisely (in my view) chose to go with the correct position and even managed to find the budget to have the existing range modified as well. I tried to get the profile of those changed at the same time however it would have been too great a change and blown the budget.

What I found strange was that Hornby chose to make the vehicle 9' 0" wide as opposed to the correct 8' 6".

When looking at photos, to my eye the BG is always distinctive due to its lack of width and additional roof overhang

I bought the full brake fully aware of it's shortcomings as Mr Trice made similar comments to above in an earlier thread. No doubt the economies of utilising the same tool was a priority but then I always thought hoped the cost of a brand new tool may be negated by increased sales.

So in the full knowledge that the Hornby BG is a little on the tubby size, out came the dietary tools, (the hammers and chisels) and I set to work.

The pre "chop" tumblehome was measured at approx. 1mm per side. I'll measure again once (if?) it all goes back together. I'm hoping to re-use the existing sides and if that doesn’t work there’s always the fall back of using some etches as practised by Coachman.

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/blog/310/entry-5278-lner-corridor-carriages-4mm-coachmann/

A picture tells a thousand words... :mosking:

post-508-0-05389800-1329182043_thumb.jpg

Porcy

I have just ordered the Gresley full brake in Maroon and is now on its way to the land of OZ.

I won't attempt to cut this one up, but have a sleeper in crimson and cream which will get the treatment to transform into a composite. So that means refering to Coachman's blog/pages as above. I was only looking at the Dart/Montys/MJT website last night.

Won't be buying the teak full brake, because I had just finished building the Kirk kit when Hornby announced there's. I like what I've done, so it stays.

Mark

Glad this thread came up as I hadn't spotted these full brakes were in the shops and so I've just ordered from Hattons. Regarding the over-wide corridor connections (mentioned by 31A), fitting scale width connectors unfortunately leaves prominant holes on either side which then have to be filled.

Archived