Gresley Full Brake's

Ed-farms

Ok please excuse my ignorance but what is the difference between the three maroon Gresley Full brakes R4531 R4531A R4531B (except running numbers)?

Tony

From what I understand about 10 quid! see earlier in this thread.........

What I found strange was that Hornby chose to make the vehicle 9' 0" wide as opposed to the correct 8' 6".

When looking at photos, to my eye the BG is always distinctive due to its lack of width and additional roof overhang

They were matched to the narrow portion of the brake composite. 8'6" would have looked odd with the over wide underframe.

It was all a matter of compromise based on what had gone before.

They were matched to the narrow portion of the brake composite. 8'6" would have looked odd with the over wide underframe.

It was all a matter of compromise based on what had gone before.

Thanks for the clarification Mike. Does that mean the standard width of the Hornby Gresleys scales out at over 9' 0" or is the "step" just not as pronounced? (I only have the Hornby BG)

Cheers,

Porcy

• RMweb Premium

Glad this thread came up as I hadn't spotted these full brakes were in the shops and so I've just ordered from Hattons. Regarding the over-wide corridor connections (mentioned by 31A), fitting scale width connectors unfortunately leaves prominant holes on either side which then have to be filled.

True; must admit I'd forgotten about filling the holes but it's very easy - I just plug them with suitable plastic rod, file off flush when set and paint black at the same time as painting the new gangways. Might be a bit more difficult with a teak liveried coach.....

What I found strange was that Hornby chose to make the vehicle 9' 0" wide as opposed to the correct 8' 6".

When looking at photos, to my eye the BG is always distinctive due to its lack of width and additional roof overhang

I bought the full brake fully aware of it's shortcomings as Mr Trice made similar comments to above in an earlier thread. No doubt the economies of utilising the same tool was a priority but then I always thought hoped the cost of a brand new tool may be negated by increased sales.

So in the full knowledge that the Hornby BG is a little on the tubby size, out came the dietary tools, (the hammers and chisels) and I set to work.

The pre "chop" tumblehome was measured at approx. 1mm per side. I'll measure again once (if?) it all goes back together. I'm hoping to re-use the existing sides and if that doesn’t work there’s always the fall back of using some etches as practised by Coachman.

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/blog/310/entry-5278-lner-corridor-carriages-4mm-coachmann/

A picture tells a thousand words... :mosking:

post-508-0-05389800-1329182043_thumb.jpg

Porcy

You're a brave man, Porcy; I wish you luck and look forward to seeing how you get on with that! Reminds me, I made one from a Kirk kit a few years back and replaced the moulded floor with a Plastikard one a couple of mill narrower, to get the different profile of the BG.

• RMweb Premium

Hornby's RRP has gone up £11 for future releases bringing one version up to an RRP around £54. Perhaps its time to consider bringing production back to the UK?

• RMweb Gold

Hornby's RRP has gone up £11 for future releases bringing one version up to an RRP around £54. Perhaps its time to consider bringing production back to the UK?

Assuming that it would be cheaper here for the same level of detail and, hmm, 'quality'? Last year one Hornby rep told my local model shop owner that he reckoned Hornby's far eastern production costs were about 10% cheaper than manufacturing in Britain - which unless UK costs have risen to the same extent would now mean that British production would be cheaper, in theory.

So why are Hornby seeking out new manufacturing sources in the east I wonder?

Seeing as no one has posted pictures, here's the Hornby full brake straight out of the box in BR post 1956 lined maroon livery. Must say I am very pleased with this model, particularly as I have looked foreward to it's intro since messing up an etched brass conversion last year...

post-6680-0-10077400-1329408050.jpg

I picked one up from Bure Valley Models (£32) last Sunday and set to work with the T-Cut and a cotton bud last night. It comes up in a very pleasant sheen and with new corridor connectors and suitable weathering should go straight into service.

Overall I'm very pleased with the new BG and for me it captures the look of the Gresley stock much better than the earlier passenger varients.

Andy.

This is not a review, neither is it an anti Hornby nitpick. I have not taken a dial caliper to the van to check it against a drawing. It's just some off the cuff personal comments.

The tumblehome realy does improve the look of the thing, even in a side view. The lowered beading makes this view look even better. It seems to be a case of two minor improvements adding up to a total effect that is greater than the sum of the parts. The overwidth gangways look very strange when coupled up to Hornby's own Hawksworth coaches, but look better next to a Bachmann Mk 1 coach. However in this case the gangway heights do not match. The buffers are about 1.5mm lower than on both other Hornby stock, including the new suburban coaches, and Bachmann Mk 1s. The buffers would make excellent costume jewllery as they have a real bling factor, while by way of a contrast, in just about every other detail the finish is superb. These vans do make the older Gresley coaches, and just about any other RTR coach I can think off, look rather outdated.

Bernard

The buffers are about 1.5mm lower than on both other Hornby stock, including the new suburban coaches, and Bachmann Mk 1s.

I have been jacking up my Gresley corridor coaches by inserting a peice of 20thou plastikard over the bogie pin between it and the bolster in the floor. Anything thicker prevents the bogie from swivelling freely.

Just collected one from Cheltenham Model centre £29 quid.

The tumblehome is only fractionally different and the lining not quite as thick as the previous range. The beading is lower. It's surprising how much synergy is in small changes.

Right Hornby - when you doing a Resturant 1st or a triplet?

Just collected one from Cheltenham Model centre £29 quid.

You missed me by two shopping days... Couldn't resist at that price, and they look well. Shame to bury them under NPCCS grot, but hey-ho....

... LNER experts, where are you....?

Mostly pushing up daisies, such is the march of time. But, regarding BR's maroon on Gresley teak corridor vehicles. I was only young when these were still around in numbers, and they mostly looked sad alongside the BR mk1 and Thompson stock; and anyway what I was looking at was the mighty Doncaster firebreather up front doing its prodigous thing in their final year, very impressive when you are about 10. But generally I would say they didn't get lined, and even if they did, the rapid degradation of the livery, and the way NPCCS frequently appeared in all over brown dirt, meant that if there was lining when repainted, soon after it disappeared.

A couple of word pictures from that time, I wish I had photos to supply but we were poor and a camera was a thing to dream of...

Someone else' photo of a Stanier Duchess heading an all maroon train up the WCML at Watford Gap alongside the NEW M1. Two Gresley BGs behind the tender, no lining visible, unlike the BR mk1s coaches following where the lining is clear. It's a Colour Rail pic but I don't have a reference.

I asked one of the older and helpful station staff at WGC what the teak livery looked like, and he pointed out a filthy Gresley BG in the yard, just covered all over in brake and track dust and standing in bright sunshine and told me that once the varnish was badly worn, that was not far off the appearance...

• 1 year later...

I don't believe any did - the only LNER BGs which went into Crimson/cream were the ones on the top flight expresses and I think they were all Thompsons by then.

They're easy enough to repaint as long as you don't try to get the glazing out - that's a real PITA. Just mask it up and don't forget to do the inside. This used to be a maroon one which someone was selling off cheap at Christmas:

hornby_bg_1_zps6f2d2240.jpg

• 1 year later...

I'm modelling the period 1954-5. Obviously too early for maroon, I've found it very difficult to pin down just what livery these BGs would have during this period. I'm tempted to do them in dirty teak although by 1955 virtually all teak gangwayed passenger stock had been repainted crimson and cream. My gut feeling is that they would look right in all over faded crimson, no lining of course and suitably weathered, but I have no photographic evidence of this. They will be mainly used on my layout on parcels trains. Does anyone have any thoughts, knowledge or dare I say colour photographic pointers?

The only BGs painted crimson and cream were those allocated to principal express sets. By 1948 these were almost all Thompsons, let alone by 1954. I'm struggling to think of more than a single picture I've ever seen of a blood and custard Gresley BG (south end of Darlo behind an A5, IIRC). I think teak, brown or crimson are all safe bets.

Edit - read back through the thread and find I've just repeated what I said in post 47 a year ago.

Archived