Why is this so rarely modelled?

Guest jim s-w

it might seem odd that someone has to ask 'Why is this so rarely modelled?' when most of the cine-to-video/DVD available in shops was shot during 1965-68.  This minimum maintenance and devastation era with missing nameplates etc gets more publicity than at any other time on Britians railways, so if few people are modelling it then there's the answer.....It must be as unnattractive to todays modellers as it was when it happened.

• Like 3

thats the era I like because of those videos.

but get myself drawn back a few years to have some of the older classes that disappered during the late 50s early 60s.

regards the 9f with an unfitted train, on the Wirral they ran trains of 33 empty unbraked John Summers bogie wagons daily.

max 11 when loaded.

• Like 1

it might seem odd that someone has to ask 'Why is this so rarely modelled?' when most of the cine-to-video/DVD available in shops was shot during 1965-68.  This minimum maintenance and devastation era with missing nameplates etc gets more publicity than at any other time on Britians railways, so if few people are modelling it then there's the answer.....It must be as unnattractive to todays modellers as it was when it happened.

Shhhh !! Don't tell Hornby or they will "design clever" out the nameplates on the "Duke" to save (them) 5p or so.

It's the era of my (and many others) trainspotting youth. No clean locos, nameplates, etc. Locos disappearing daily, though there was the occasional "jump for joy" (Taylors Lane Springs Branch Wigan 1967)

post-6884-0-95649900-1357748120.jpg

On the same film, same day, turn round and walk 't top of 't bank - Fir Tree House Jcn. Liverpool bound loaded. Sorry, no loco ID's or exact dates. Know EXACTLY where though.

post-6884-0-46253500-1357748253.jpg

Plenty more "Wigan Grot" to come !!. Sorry folks no shiny clean GWR on an idylic sunny summers day, that was a million miles and allready many years ago for me, aged 15 back then.

Brit15

• Like 7

Ohhhhh - Brand new Blue Class 20 straight out of its box, hauling maroon MkIs - that is signature Transition and I love it! 

Then the absolute antithesis of Modern Image - wonderful!

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Around the time of the Class 20 picture I was working in Crewe Works for a few months. IIRC 1T60 may have been the test run from Crewe for new English Electric Vulcan Foundry locos on test before being put into traffic. On delivery they were parked outside the workshop where I was located. The first few 50s were also around whilst I was there. Another route that the test runs went on was out to Chester, and possibly beyond. I saw 50s and 74s on this working.

• Like 1

Around the time of the Class 20 picture I was working in Crewe Works for a few months. IIRC 1T60 may have been the test run from Crewe for new English Electric Vulcan Foundry locos on test before being put into traffic. On delivery they were parked outside the workshop where I was located. The first few 50s were also around whilst I was there. Another route that the test runs went on was out to Chester, and possibly beyond. I saw 50s and 74s on this working.

I hadn't the interest at the time but I do remember seeing them coming into Rhyl and turning back. Must have been circa 1973.

No Michael, the train is headed towards Warrington on the Up Fast line, having just passed Liverpool Jcn (on the left behind the train, not in picture). The bridge to the far right of the train is the Manchester LNW line. Springs Branch MPD is just behind the bridge. I spent many, many hours at this spot back in the late 60's, and I'm currently scanning my negs of this era. It allways was, and still is a totally grotty location, but full of interest back then.

Found another 1T60 EE type 1, again southbound at Rylands Sidings (AKA Whitley Crossing - Footpath) 1 mile to the north of Wigan. Date a bit earlier, sometime in 1966. Don't know the loco No.

post-6884-0-45703900-1357823813.jpg

Brit15

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold

The original Class 20s to D8127 were built from 1957 to mid 1962. The second series commenced delivery at the beginning of 1966, D8300 - D8316 appearing in the spring of 1967. D8317 to D8327 entered traffic in a period of a few weeks at the end of 1967 and beginning of 1968.

• Like 1

Class 50s were on the test trips through Chester in 1968. We nearly managed to derail a nice shiny one at Tattenhall Junction that summer.

I wondered what they doing coming down to Rhyl in 1973? Had they had some refurbishment? I know it was about that time because of going to the Rhyl Labour Exchange to renew a self-employment NI card and I only went into business the previous year.

Edited by coachmann

• RMweb Gold

I wondered what they doing coming down to Rhyl in 1973? Had they had some refurbishment? I know it was about that time because of going to the Rhyl Labour Exchange to renew a self-employment NI card and I only went into business the previous year.

The Class 50s were orignally leased from EE. They weren't purchased by BR until about 1973, so they may have been on test runs for the handover. Also when the Weaver - Glasgow electrification was complete about 15 locos stayed on the LMR for working on the non-electrified bits. These went to the WR about 1976.

• Like 1

No "Class 50's" back then - They were D400'ers to us.

Here's two 1T60's for the price of one ! Brand new at Crewe Works. Can't remember the date or nos. look like D441 & D442, around 1968/9. We visited Crewe works many times on a Sunday back then.

post-6884-0-92683700-1357927161.jpg

On a Sunday the route from Wigan to Crewe took many strange ways. One was via Warrington to Chester where the whole train was backed round one leg of the triangle. Here is one trip, a little out of our rarely modelled era, but just look at the "new" D406, BR signalbox and LNWR signals at Chester. This was on 22 June 1969.

post-6884-0-89171000-1357927618.jpg

Brit15

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold

So my memory was correct with 1T60. When I worked at Crewe the new locos were parked outside the Signal Shop. That was by the entrance on the corner of Goddard St and Richard Moon St, where the entrance road into Morrisons is now. The locos usually stood about where the petrol station is.

• Like 1

So my memory was correct with 1T60. When I worked at Crewe the new locos were parked outside the Signal Shop. That was by the entrance on the corner of Goddard St and Richard Moon St, where the entrance road into Morrisons is now. The locos usually stood about where the petrol station is.

I've heard of Richard moon of LNWR fame, but having a Goddard, son of Swindon next to him must have made his day.....not. :O

Edited by coachmann
  • Like 1

There still are several streets at Horwich backing on to the old L&Y Loco Works with engineers names. The works is now the Locomotion Industrial Estate. Street names are (some names I don't recognise)

Hawkshaw St, Fairbairn St, Hartley St, Stephenson St, Watts St, Gooch St, Brunel St, Smeaton St, Brindley St, Whitworth St, Armstrong St, Tredgold St, Iron St, Fowler Ind Park, Arkwright St, Siemens St, Barlow St, Webb St, Penn St, Ramsbottom Rd, Locke ind estate. and of course Aspinall St. Most are terraced houses been there many years.

Anyway, back to sometime in 1967, a few photos of Wigan NW, the 9F is 92084.

post-6884-0-73788400-1358108449.jpg

post-6884-0-27055200-1358108471.jpg

post-6884-0-00192900-1358108498.jpg

Here is Tornado (Brit22) at Barrow on a London Train we rode home to Wigan 10 Dec 1966. Note the new Blue / Grey Mk2 coach behind the loco.

post-6884-0-07398100-1358108781.jpg

Brit15

• Like 8

Tornado (this version) was the last steam loco to work over the Waverley Route, some 11 months after you took that shot.

Painted names and MkII in the train combine to take this photo into the Hall of Fame for a certain group on here!  :locomotive:

• Like 2

Superpower for that single 3 planker (and brake van)... Superb.

Porcy

What's more, the superpower is serif lettered blue D248 with the numbers underlined in a kind of ironic trainspotting nod and a wink:jester:

Edited by 'CHARD
  • Like 3

A photograph is better than a thousand words. Again a little out of era, 19 April 1969. Who dares model this ?

post-6884-0-15728100-1358114108_thumb.jpg

It gets more interesting by the day, - Don't know what I'll find next !!!!

Brit15

• Like 2