Why is this so rarely modelled?

Guest jim s-w

• 2 weeks later...

Try it now. It works ok for me.

Must be something to do with me cutting and pasting from my original posting.

Thinking about the pic I seem to remember seeing a bigger version on Flickr so it may have been posted before.

P

Edited by Porcy Mane

• 3 weeks later...

1965-68.........If it puffed, film it! So what we are left with is wall-to-wall steam railway videos that are false. There was little steam to see and the assembled footage is often the same daily train filmed every day at different locations interspersed with well-publicised steam specials hauled by that Britannia or those same Black Fives on the same stock. But of the 95% diesel and electric ralway that existed in those same years, the cameramen took care to keep it out of their vewfinders!

I have mentioned this so that modellers of the last years of steam will know that to model it as it really was, they need one grimy steam loco to half a dozen DMU's and two dozen diesel locos, and 20 bags of grass and weeds to half a bag of ballast. :derisive:

Keep on smiling.....

Edited by coachmann

1965-68.........If it puffed, film it! So what we are left with is wall-to-wall steam railway videos that are false. There was little steam to see and the assembled footage is often the same daily train filmed every day at different locations interspersed with well-publicised steam specials hauled by that Britannia or those same Black Fives on the same stock. But of the 95% diesel and electric ralway that existed in those same years, the cameramen took care to keep it out of their vewfinders!

I have mentioned this so that modellers of the last years of steam will know that to model it as it really was, they need one grimy steam loco to half a dozen DMU's and two dozen diesel locos, and 20 bags of grass and weeds to half a bag of ballast. :derisive:

Keep on smiling.....

You forgot to add some YOUNG people on your shed scenes coach !!. Dressed in flared jeans, corduroy coat and thin leather tie !!!!!!!!!!

Not all bad back then, The old bugge*s were grumpy, railfans and railwaymen, (some still are !!!!!!). 

I was a young lad when I took this photo of my trainspotting mates at Stockport Edgeley on 3 June 1967. I was 15 on that very day, mate similar age and his younger brother aged 12. Did Heaton Mersey & Newton Heath the same day. Yes the loco's were mucky, diesels and all.

post-6884-0-28751200-1387898864.jpg

Grand days, grime, DMU's, grass, weeds, cinder paths and all.

I still smile when I recall these wonderful days out shedbashing.  :sungum:  :sungum: :sungum:  

Brit15

• Like 9

and two dozen diesel locos

None of them need to work properly and a burnt out motor or two helps.

I simply remember the period as dirty and forever late due to breakdown or industrial action. Coaches generally stank of them being occupied by 100 cats (or was it travellers with weak bladders) the windows carried a layer of dirt and rebreathed nicotine, carriage heaters were on all summer and broken all winter. Very unpleasant to travel on and far from reliable. Probably the last period I ever really relied on rail transport.

Mind you, come to remember it, neither was my first car. Everything seemed to be substandard then.

In some ways, though, I agree with Coach. It's a generation thing, depends on how old you were back then at the end of steam. I can well understand the feeling of those who worked on BR in it's prime, the 1950's, seeing the demise of steam in very bad conditions. I (we) were young and daft back then, loved steam but found the new blue diesels and electrics exciting also, and the mix of them all was fascinating to a young Brit15 back then.

This is the next neg after the above, also at Edgeley same day.

post-6884-0-56495100-1387905365.jpg

Michael sums it up above

but im not always looking at the trains but the railway and whats in the background which wont have changed much over the previous years.

Back then there was an interesting infrastructure mix. Buildings and signals etc from the pre-grouping, big four influence everywhere and the swank new electrics, Mk 2 coaches and repainted diesels in the Blue / Grey livery (which for me has not been bettered). It was EVERYWHERE also, literally, everywhere. Most places were busy also, still lots of trainload freight with the new block trains, 100t tanks, freightliners etc. This was the case also well after the demise of steam, up to the 80's, though it was in steady decline, as was my interest "in the real thing" back then.

As for the current scene, apart from the colourful trains the scene is generally devoid of interest to me, though a visit by train to Liverpool last week gave me some optimism, as new overhead masts are starting to line the Wigan - Liverpool route. New infrastructure at last !!!!!!!!!!!!!

At least, through modelling, and rmweb we can all keep our respective era's of interest alive, and that, surely, is what it is all about.

Happy Xmas to all, and perhaps, one day Coach, we may see OHLE masts and catenary strung through your model of Greenfield !!

Brit15

Edited by APOLLO
  • Like 3

I started primary school in 1968 next door to the Trent Valley line so for me blue electrics with small yellow panels, running with mixed maroon and blue grey coaches, two tone green Class 47s on new MGR trains to Rugeley, grimy green 40s and 25s on coal trains, together with blue dmus from Lichfield to Birmingham, were exciting and interesting. Although I didn't see it myself, the fact steam, diesel and electric ran alongside each other just up the road in Stoke as late as 1967 makes for a far more interesting scenario than any Titfieldesque chocolate box steam layout, particularly as many such layouts airbrush out the truth of pre-war rural poverty and decline in favour of some sort of bucolic fiction of a rosy-cheeked idyll. Miss Marple and Poirot have a lot to answer for!

• Like 1

I started primary school in 1968 next door to the Trent Valley line so for me blue electrics with small yellow panels, running with mixed maroon and blue grey coaches, two tone green Class 47s on new MGR trains to Rugeley, grimy green 40s and 25s on coal trains, together with blue dmus from Lichfield to Birmingham, were exciting and interesting. Although I didn't see it myself, the fact steam, diesel and electric ran alongside each other just up the road in Stoke as late as 1967 makes for a far more interesting scenario than any Titfieldesque chocolate box steam layout, particularly as many such layouts airbrush out the truth of pre-war rural poverty and decline in favour of some sort of bucolic fiction of a rosy-cheeked idyll. Miss Marple and Poirot have a lot to answer for!

How anyone who was in primary schol in 1968 can pass judgement on a period of history they never saw or experienced is beyond me, but youngsters do it all the time for some weard reason. Perhaps they feel they are the born oracles. Titfield Thunderbolt was pure entertainment, and folk who supposes it represented some rosy-cheecked reality are extremely niave and immature..

And a Merry Christmas to you, too, Coachmann! Are you having a laugh, or hasn't the turkey and sprouts agreed with you?Wombatofludham is entitled to state an opinion without being labelled naive and immature, however badly spelled. I also agree with Wombat about the presentation of some layouts as rather rose-tinted representations of the steam era, but as I was also at primary school in the late sixties, perhaps I should just keep quiet...

As I said, its a generation thing, and, yes, everyone is entitled to their own opinion.

The late 60's were unique with the last gasps of steam mixed with the new blue, and all in between, we will never see such diversity on our railways again. It was, however, MY era, when I was coming of age. Probably not the best of times in many, many areas as Kenton remarked above, but it was a wonderful time for me (that's why I model it), as indeed the 70's were to Wombatofudham and (I presume) the late 40's and 50's were to Coach.

Must go quickly, the Brussel sprouts have transformed to gas !!!!!

Brit15

• Like 1

Erm, Coachman, it is a matter of fact and record that prior to the war farming was in decline and rural poverty was real. It was why things like the Milk Marketing Board were set up to try and give farmers a guaranteed price for their milk to enable them to earn a living. At the start of the war the Ministry of Agriculture had to rapidly intervene to get farming back on its feet, so sorry but pre war you would have been more likely to see run down farms, poorly maintained tied cottages and some fields growing weeds rather than crops. So no, it's not immature opinion or invalid, but based on historical recorded facts. If you don't like it, that's your prerogative but it doesn't change the reality.

• Like 3