Newbryford's mostly Yellow workbench - "it's a drag, man......."

• RMweb Premium

Coming up next in no particular order, will be roof/underframe/end detail for the few coaches above. (Unless I decide to do 9708.........)

977986 has had a first fill and prime. As usual, a few bits to tidy up. Under my desk lamp, it highlights any bits I've missed, so I'll key the surface around the part I want to fill again and then using minimal filler, applied with an old dentist's tool, I patch up the hole.

This is what it looks like at this stage.

post-408-0-91499800-1356722869_thumb.jpg

Wait for it to harden and then carefully sand back to the required finish.

And here's the pile waiting for the next stage.

post-408-0-00964500-1356723041_thumb.jpg

Left to right - back to front row:

999550/977983

9714/6261

977986/72612

I'll start with the easiest undeframe first - that's 977986

Cheers,

Mick

• Like 3

I dug out some Lima air-cons, Very surprised on reflection how 2f like the underframe actually is!

Maybe Airfix has a finer underframe bar the bendy buffer beam, I have only just begun to realise how versatile the near forty year moulding is.

I wonder why no underframes parts bar the Hurst temp aircon unit have been released as after sale parts.

Looks like a busy paint shop soon Mick....keep up the great work

Ian

Edited by Ian Fisher
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I'll start with the easiest undeframe first - that's 977986

All 977986 needs on the underframe is removal of the battery boxes - 5 minutes with a min drill, cutting disc and scalpel and here we are.

post-408-0-08927800-1357166907_thumb.jpg 

The removed battery box mouldings are saved for later.

I haven't replaced the incorrect angled bufferbeams mainly because you can't see them in normal use! 9714 will be the exception as the buffer beam is very visible on the cab end.

Handrails on sides and ends have since been fitted. I haven't got any T-door handles in stock, but this won't stop me painting the coach.

Cheers,

Mick. 

Edited by newbryford
  • Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Generator 6261

post-408-0-55772600-1357254752_thumb.jpg

The white pieces on the lower body edge are the fluorescent lights (non-working in this case)

The fuel tanks have been added using the aforementioned removed battery boxes from 977986 (a couple more were saved from a previous chop-job) -  they have been cut down a couple of millimetres to fit and then styrene strip added for the support framing.

Next details will be the footsteps under the central door, adding a couple of bits of styrene to "beef-up" the bogie to look more like a B5 and end connectors.

Cheers,

Mick

• Like 5

Guest 40-something

Hi Mick

I've just spent a most enjoyable couple of hours reading right through this thread - I'd previously just dipped in now an again.  I must say Im seriously impressed with your work on the yellow brigade and will be looking forward to more updates.  I model the late 60/early 70's but your work is most inspirational!

Also looking forward to seeing some of these vehicles on Blackmill at Perth, I'll be there on Milton Street MPD. 

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Hi Mick

I've just spent a most enjoyable couple of hours reading right through this thread - I'd previously just dipped in now an again.  I must say Im seriously impressed with your work on the yellow brigade and will be looking forward to more updates.  I model the late 60/early 70's but your work is most inspirational!

Also looking forward to seeing some of these vehicles on Blackmill at Perth, I'll be there on Milton Street MPD. 

Hi Joe,

Thanks for the compliments. Any of the techniques I use are perfectly applicable to other scale/gauges/eras.

Looking forward to the trip north of the border - I'll try and sneak as much yellow stuff on Blackmill as I can, but the other lads keep a close watch that it doesn't take over!

Off to the shed soon - probably to work on 9714 as well as the previously mentioned 9708 for the SGT upgrade.

Cheers,

Mick

Edited by newbryford

• RMweb Premium

I'll try and sneak as much yellow stuff on Blackmill as I can, but the other lads keep a close watch that it doesn't take over!

Or even begin.

Nobby

Daz

Spike

John

I have my methods............. :senile:

Remember - I did get a GBRf rainbow 66720 onto Georegmas Junction.........

post-408-0-42116600-1357597574_thumb.jpg

Cheers,

Mick 

Edit: 66720 added

Edited by newbryford
  • Like 4

• RMweb Premium

Whilst the yellow stuff progresses slowly - underframe on 72612 on the bench (photos later), I've got a diversion that's not yellow.

My eldest brother, who is partly the reason I'm a railway/model railway enthusiast has decided to get back into the hobby, following a short initiation on Blackmill a couple of months back. He's now on the list of reserve operators and wants his "own train"to run on it, when he helps out.

After a bit of deliberation/research into what is;

a: suitable to run on Blackmill ( and New Bryford) for area/era

b: not a duplication of stuff we've already got

c: can live in his display cabinet at home when not in use

d: readily available - either RTR or detailed/modified/repainted RTR, without a huge amount of work.

e: something he likes

With the above in mind, we settled on a West Coast Railway Company 37 - 516 in this case, using one of the bargain Bachmann 37514's as a base model. Although it can easily run around light engine, we also decided upon making it a stock move, so BCK 21266 will also be done to accompany it. Consequently a Bachmann IC liveried BCK with Commonwealth bogies was sourced with 37514. It also gave me the impetus to start to build a WCRC railtour rake for future (steam) use and my own WC 37 (706) to accompany 516 as required. As part of the railtour rake, I'll be making yet another BG based generator van - this time, WCRC's 6312.

http://cumbria.smugmug.com/Trains/London-Hampshire-Ceredigion/18092719_czzwDz#!i=1387892476&k=tgxbB5H&lb=1&s=A

the two sides are similar but not quite identical and in this case, rather than filling in windows and fitting grilles as per the NR genny vans, I'll simply chop a section out and replace it with Evergreen 4031. (I'm now down to one bargain BG on my stock shelf!)

First photo research of the the two 37's shows 516 with odd buffers - round at one end and "squared oval" at the other, with 706 having oval and "squared oval" at the two ends. 706 also requires a window and bodyside steps filling in and modified fuel/water tank as the most visual alterations.

As mentioned elsewhere, John at Precision has produced some decal sets for 37516/706 and I've acquired some spare Precision WCRC coach decals from a fellow modeller for 21266. Kernow supplied the 37's and BCK in very good time. Both 37's will be ESU Loksound fitted.

As it's my bro's birthday in a few weeks, I want to have it done for then, so the yellow stuff will progress as and when - but it won't be forgotten!

More updates later.

Cheers,

Mick

• Like 1

Whilst the yellow stuff progresses slowly - underframe on 72612 on the bench (photos later), I've got a diversion that's not yellow.

My eldest brother, who is partly the reason I'm a railway/model railway enthusiast has decided to get back into the hobby, following a short initiation on Blackmill a couple of months back. He's now on the list of reserve operators and wants his "own train"to run on it, when he helps out.

After a bit of deliberation/research into what is;

a: suitable to run on Blackmill ( and New Bryford) for area/era

b: not a duplication of stuff we've already got

c: can live in his display cabinet at home when not in use

d: readily available - either RTR or detailed/modified/repainted RTR, without a huge amount of work.

e: something he likes

With the above in mind, we settled on a West Coast Railway Company 37 - 516 in this case, using one of the bargain Bachmann 37514's as a base model. Although it can easily run around light engine, we also decided upon making it a stock move, so BCK 21266 will also be done to accompany it. Consequently a Bachmann IC liveried BCK with Commonwealth bogies was sourced with 37514. It also gave me the impetus to start to build a WCRC railtour rake for future (steam) use and my own WC 37 (706) to accompany 516 as required. As part of the railtour rake, I'll be making yet another BG based generator van - this time, WCRC's 6312.

http://cumbria.smugmug.com/Trains/London-Hampshire-Ceredigion/18092719_czzwDz#!i=1387892476&k=tgxbB5H&lb=1&s=A

the two sides are similar but not quite identical and in this case, rather than filling in windows and fitting grilles as per the NR genny vans, I'll simply chop a section out and replace it with Evergreen 4031. (I'm now down to one bargain BG on my stock shelf!)

First photo research of the the two 37's shows 516 with odd buffers - round at one end and "squared oval" at the other, with 706 having oval and "squared oval" at the two ends. 706 also requires a window and bodyside steps filling in and modified fuel/water tank as the most visual alterations.

As mentioned elsewhere, John at Precision has produced some decal sets for 37516/706 and I've acquired some spare Precision WCRC coach decals from a fellow modeller for 21266. Kernow supplied the 37's and BCK in very good time. Both 37's will be ESU Loksound fitted.

As it's my bro's birthday in a few weeks, I want to have it done for then, so the yellow stuff will progress as and when - but it won't be forgotten!

More updates later.

Cheers,

Mick

Looking forward to this. Are you bothering with the RSH grilles for 516 that 514 doesn't have? I'm contemplating it for a model of 37194 in DRS. I presume you know the roof on 514 isn't right for 516 either, you'd need a 506 shell for the right roof. If you are interested i have a spare 506 body i'd be happy to swap - PM me if you want it.

Cheers,

Andi. 

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Looking forward to this. Are you bothering with the RSH grilles for 516 that 514 doesn't have? I'm contemplating it for a model of 37194 in DRS. I presume you know the roof on 514 isn't right for 516 either, you'd need a 506 shell for the right roof. If you are interested i have a spare 506 body i'd be happy to swap - PM me if you want it.

Cheers,

Andi. 

Hi Andy,

Oh F.......... lippin' eck. I can't believe I missed the RSH grilles - especially as I've got them on a previous 37670. Easily done with thin strip of styrene. Thanks for highlighting the roof difference. Thanks also for the offer of the body swap, but 37706 is  the same. Personally, I think the 506 moulding suffers the same fate as some of the Bachy Mk1's - prominent roof ribs, so I'll be doing the 3 extra ribs with styrene strip.

37706 also has cast bogies - I have two ideas for this - either fit it with a set of spare frames from a previous project, or trim the edge off the existing moulding to make it look like a cast frame. Not decided on that one yet.

Cheers,

Mick

Hi Andy,

Oh F.......... lippin' eck. I can't believe I missed the RSH grilles - especially as I've got them on a previous 37670. Easily done with thin strip of styrene. Thanks for highlighting the roof difference. Thanks also for the offer of the body swap, but 37706 is  the same. Personally, I think the 506 moulding suffers the same fate as some of the Bachy Mk1's - prominent roof ribs, so I'll be doing the 3 extra ribs with styrene strip.

37706 also has cast bogies - I have two ideas for this - either fit it with a set of spare frames from a previous project, or trim the edge off the existing moulding to make it look like a cast frame. Not decided on that one yet.

Cheers,

Mick

Hi Mick,

I wasn't being nit picky i'm just nosy about how you would do it! I will look forward to some step by step instructions. I did 516 from a REX 502 ltd edition, it now resides on Rannoch Moor with Mark! 37s are a pain. The cast bogie issue on 706 is one i hadn't noticed. I have that on my workbench - from the ltd ed model of 702.

How did you get on with your Colas 56? 

Cheers,

Andi.

• RMweb Premium

Hi Mick,

I wasn't being nit picky i'm just nosy about how you would do it! I will look forward to some step by step instructions. I did 516 from a REX 502 ltd edition, it now resides on Rannoch Moor with Mark! 37s are a pain. The cast bogie issue on 706 is one i hadn't noticed. I have that on my workbench - from the ltd ed model of 702.

How did you get on with your Colas 56? 

Cheers,

Andi.

Hi Andy,

No problem - it's good to see other observation/comments and it's appreciated! If it helps you with 706, then that's good.

Haven't got round to the Colas 56 yet - I think I've got all the details sorted. Other locos near the bench are an updated (blue windows) 60074, yellow 97304 and a another DRS 57/0.

Too many projects, not enough time.

Cheers,

Mick

Hi Andy,

No problem - it's good to see other observation/comments and it's appreciated! If it helps you with 706, then that's good.

Haven't got round to the Colas 56 yet - I think I've got all the details sorted. Other locos near the bench are an updated (blue windows) 60074, yellow 97304 and a another DRS 57/0.

Too many projects, not enough time.

Cheers,

Mick

It did - cheers! I will look forward to seeing them in due course. I think 074 looks good with blue windows, are you starting from scratch or using a ltd ed model?

i know what you mean about not enough time.... i have counted up this evening that i have 58 locos on my workbench at the moment!

A

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

It did - cheers! I will look forward to seeing them in due course. I think 074 looks good with blue windows, are you starting from scratch or using a ltd ed model?

i know what you mean about not enough time.... i have counted up this evening that i have 58 locos on my workbench at the moment!

A

Ah, but you're probably getting paid for most of them...... :)

I'm not using a LE 60. I've tracked down the original Pantone number of the original 60074 and also found out that the REX LE version was done in a slightly different shade! From memory, the real loco is pantone 292 and the model is pantone 2915. I'll probably mix it up from Humbrol or Revell.

Cheers,

Mick

Ah, but you're probably getting paid for most of them...... :)

I'm not using a LE 60. I've tracked down the original Pantone number of the original 60074 and also found out that the REX LE version was done in a slightly different shade! From memory, the real loco is pantone 292 and the model is pantone 2915. I'll probably mix it up from Humbrol or Revell.

Cheers,

Mick

True, but one day when i have my own layout that will all change!

I found a good shade in the Tamiya range. Its X-10, Sky Blue. Added a dab of white to it and was pretty pleased with the effect. Good work on getting the Pantone number!

Cheers,

Andi.

• RMweb Premium

Whilst the yellow stuff progresses slowly - underframe on 72612 on the bench (photos later),

As promised.

It's reasonably obvious where I've cut off excess detail. One box was removed (upper right) and then reattached on 1mm square "runners" (more visible in the next photo). I've added an air brake distributor - just visible at bottom left, previously a spare from a Cambrian wagon kit.

post-408-0-28239500-1357858693_thumb.jpg

The extra unit is the electrical box that was added in 72612's Gatwick Express days. Previously, I've used Hurst Models castings, but in this case, made it up from styrene. Usual cruel close-up!

post-408-0-24987200-1357858716_thumb.jpg

Cheers,

Mick

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium

The WCRC stuff begins.

It's another BG generator van, but quite different to the NWR gennies.

First of all, one set of doors is cut out and a piece of Evergreen 4031 slightly wider than the hole - the little cutouts on the lower corners are to let it sit "inside" the body at the lower edge.

post-408-0-00167100-1358005397_thumb.jpg

post-408-0-62340200-1358005407_thumb.jpg

I could've cut the body into two sections, but by retaining a small part of the side at the top and bottom, it maintains the length of the side and also adds to the overall strength once the new section is glued in.

The upper part of the side is "notched" so that the new grill simply slides in. The bottom edge is also cut back to allow the grille to fit in front of it - the notches let it sit inside.

post-408-0-35021400-1358005419_thumb.jpg

Once glued in, I've added a couple of vertical fillets between the new section and the body side and the modified side is back to full strength. Note that for these genny conversions, the grill is NOT flush with the body, but set behind it.

post-408-0-43134100-1358005428_thumb.jpg

The other side is similarly treated, because the grilles are diagonally opposite.

The roof will receive the same treatment as the NWR vans, with the ribs filed down and vents replaced. The exhaust is a simple tube. The ends will have the excess footsteps removed and the underframe will be fitted with a fuel tank.

Cheers,

Mick

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium

I'm always on the lookout for new yellow stuff and here's another one. Brake force runner Mk2F BSO 9523

http://www.flickr.com/photos/stevestrains/8361583646/sizes/l/in/photostream/

I've been promised more pics in the next few days from a fellow RMWebber that'll confirm a few questions I have about 9523.

It looks like a straightforward "paint it yellow" job, but can anyone spot the most obvious alteration in this picture? (But that won't stop the usual repainters doing them for Ebay - or a limited edition when someone eventually brings out a new air-con Mk2)

Cheers,

Mick

Edited by newbryford
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I'd guess the roof panel Mick, but I'm not very good at spotting the obvious..     

Hi Scott,

There are a couple of different sizes of roof panel on aircon Mk2's, but no - that isn't the most obvious.

Maybe I should do a "Spot the difference on NWR coaches 101" class? :jester: 

Cheers,

Mick

Got it! The difference that is...few vents gone awol but so too has three foot of an opening aperture....

Nice...subtle

I want one!

As for roof panels AFAIK 2d 2e have the airfix size 2f's are bigger, Southern Pride do lovely affordable etches of em.

Ian

Edited by Ian Fisher
  • Like 1