Newbryford's mostly Yellow workbench - "it's a drag, man......."

If that is an ex- 4 CIG buffet car, why does it appear to have Mk6 power bogies?! It looks more like a conversion of a 4 CIG MBSO. Then again, is it a buffet car that has had its bogies swapped at some point?

Glad to see the 4 CIGs are not quite extinct.

Regards,

Colin

• RMweb Premium

I'm not big on ex SR units but I think it was from a 4-BIG originally not a CIG. No idea about the bogies though!

There must be something about the Mk6 bogies - two of the UTU vehicles are ex 4-REP driving motors - UTU2/999605/ex-62482 and UTU3/999602/ex-62483, whilst UTU4/999606 was ex-62356 MBSO from a 4-CIG.

IIRC, they are all some of the last Mk1 bodied vehicles built.

Cheers,

Mick

• RMweb Premium

These will be added to DRS 57009 - the bodyshell has had a few details trimmed off, such as the hinges, so that these can be fitted.

post-408-0-35629700-1350770609_thumb.jpg

Although the etch states 47 rad grilles - these "57/3 style" grilles have been fitted to 57004/009 as well as a few DRS Duffs

Cheers,

Mick

Pete's (47) grilles fitted to a Bachmann 57 - although Pete says he'll be doing different grilles for a 57, these have only been fixed down with minimal amount of superglue and can be swapped later.

post-408-0-26957600-1350948771_thumb.jpg

As with some of Pete's stuff, it is extremely fine and care must be taken when curving the etch.

Cheers,

Mick

• Like 6

• RMweb Premium

much nicer than the Bachmann effort, if these are available, ones on my 57s will be pinged off in due course!

NL

Hi Nick,

Contact Pete Harvey for details. (Incidentally, 47501 definitely has the new grilles!)

Cheers,

Mick

• Like 1

Pete's (47) grilles fitted to a Bachmann 57 - although Pete says he'll be doing different grilles for a 57, these have only been fixed down with minimal amount of superglue and can be swapped later.

post-408-0-26957600-1350948771_thumb.jpg

As with some of Pete's stuff, it is extremely fine and care must be taken when curving the etch.

Cheers,

Mick

Looking good Mick!

• RMweb Premium

Now that's the main exhibition commitments out of the way until the end of March 2013, I now have time to move onto a few long-term projects such as a HST/NMT using a Pete Harvey kit, JJA-HQA 5-set conversion - probably with home designed etched parts.

Other short/mid-term stuff is a rake of 10 grey TTA's, NR DBSO, RSC1/2, yet another generator van. 97304/56094/37419/31465/47270. (Is there a mostly yellow influence there?)

No doubt there'll be the usual interruption of "impulse" projects and planning for Langmoor or our next club layout.

I'll keep you posted.

Cheers,

Mick

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

It's been awhile since I posted.

Here's a couple of previous projects to accompany the SGT Optical Car - 975081 & 975280. Although 975280 was a recent limited edition release with printed details, I'll show you how to do a "cut n shut" to produce something a bit more lifelike.

Bachmann Mk1's are great - they split down easily and can be cut and spilced together to make any number of unusual Mk1 based coaches. For this reason, I buy the odd second-hand coach to use as a donor for windows and doors - and in some cases, bogies.

The basic coaches are a BSK and a BCK - much like the prototype 081/280 respectively.

I'll start with 975280 as that's the easier coach and doesn't need open heart surgery, just a local anaesthetic!

On one side, fill in the doors and two windows

post-408-0-15206000-1352929743_thumb.jpg

The other side needs a bit more work, cutting holes for the grilles. I filled in the window first, before cutting out for the grille

post-408-0-19412700-1352929761_thumb.jpg

More to follow shortly.

Cheers,

Mick

• RMweb Premium

A little bit of filler/sanding/primer later, this is the result.

post-408-0-75736300-1353022368_thumb.jpg

post-408-0-43218600-1353022383_thumb.jpg

More to follow.

I managed to acquire a couple of Airfix FO's today at a very agreeable price. Now I can get on with the Electrification Measurement Vehicle EMV 977983 and possibly brake force runner 977986.

Cheers,

Mick

• Like 5

• RMweb Premium

Here's a closer pic of the grilles - yes they are odd sizes! The grilles are made from Evergreen 4031 Clapboard - the spacing is equal to 2.25" in 4mm scale.

The window blank is 5 thou styrene sheet.

post-408-0-25746400-1353076001_thumb.jpg

Roof vents have been removed - I like MJT cast items and a hole has been drilled for the gen-set exhaust. End detail has also been removed and the various jumper cable plugs/sockets that adorn test vehicles are beginning to take shape using scraps of sheet and round styrene.

Any unwanted underframe equipment has also been removed and extra bits added from - yep you guessed - styrene. In the case of 975280, there's not much to add. Some of the underframe detail is in a different place when compared to a standard coach - battery boxes are a good example. I'll carefully remove them by drilling out the locating pegs from inside the chassis and re-fix the boxes in the correct location.

Cheers,

Mick

I really am enjoying this thread and learning a lot from it. Being in Canada I was not familiar with Network rail.

I think I may have a stab at making one or two of the "easier" looking coaches. I wouldn't mind having a go at the NMT, using the Hornby HST and then the etches from Pete. Don't know how difficult it would be for a novice?

Looking forward to the next round of updates.

Cheers

Scott

• RMweb Premium

I really am enjoying this thread and learning a lot from it. Being in Canada I was not familiar with Network rail.

I think I may have a stab at making one or two of the "easier" looking coaches. I wouldn't mind having a go at the NMT, using the Hornby HST and then the etches from Pete. Don't know how difficult it would be for a novice?

Hi Scott,

I have a couple of "larger" projects to start soon - the NMT is one of them.

I've just started EMV 977983 - that's a relatively easy one.

http://www.flickr.co...N06/6621911255/

Although if you do it in it's previous guise, then you don't need the roof cutout.

http://shed83a.smugm...DcRNR5&lb=1&s=A

Pics of the model soon.

If you want some other ideas, then check here:

Cheers,

Mick

Edited by newbryford

• RMweb Premium

Thanks Mick,

Lots to choose from there then. I think I will start with either

Radio Survey Train Carriage 977997 or Brake Force Runner Carriage 99666 as I have a spare FO Airfix carriage and they both look "relatively" easy.

Cheers

Scott

977997 is a good choice - see post#60 - no need to make the window blanks absolutely flush, but they need to be a good fit slightly recessed on the frame. Once you get the hang of doing one blank, the others are easy.

99666 is an exercise in flush blanks and filler........... as is 977986.

Welcome to the world of yellow.

Cheers,

Mick

977997 is a good choice - see post#60 - no need to make the window blanks absolutely flush, but they need to be a good fit slightly recessed on the frame. Once you get the hang of doing one blank, the others are easy.

99666 is an exercise in flush blanks and filler........... as is 977986.

Welcome to the world of yellow.

Cheers,

Mick

Thanks Mick !!

Thought they would be a good foray into the hobby as I have never done anything like this before. Only problem is the Network Rail stuff is growing on me and my layout is set in the 80s !! :D

Perhaps time for a layout change although I also have BR late crest stuff too. Maybe I will just run what I want :)

• RMweb Premium

I know that Mick, I did the models to prove the etches were ok to fit the Airfix/Hornby Mk2 model.

Pete

Can I suggest that you do etches for the GatEx boxes as part of the kit?

Cheers,

Mick

• RMweb Premium

For anyone wanting to try blanking windows, cutting and shutting, then basic donor stuff can often be bought cheaply on ebay or 2nd hand.

Mk1 BG's - ideal for generator vans 6261-6264 can be had for as little as £10. Other Mk1's for less than £15. Replica with the one piece roof/body can be useful for Hurst overlays, Bachmann with seperate sides/roof/chassis are good for cut n shut.

The only vehicles that tend to attract slightly higher prices are 2d/e/f TSO's - Lima or Airfix/Dapol/Hornby. Although I have seen TSO's made from grafting two halves of a BSO together (BSO's can be picked up for as little as a fiver)

Cheers,

Mick

• RMweb Premium

I managed to acquire a couple of Airfix FO's today at a very agreeable price. Now I can get on with the Electrification Measurement Vehicle EMV 977983 and possibly brake force runner 977986.

As always, I have a list of projects, but something comes along to distract me.

A few minutes with a drill, knife and file and this is ready for the lowered roof section

EMV 977983. A couple of windows require to be blanked and they've been prepped ready - one is visible in the pic.

post-408-0-84921900-1353173043_thumb.jpg

Here's another little project that had been bimbling along my bench - does anybody know what they're for?

post-408-0-55014800-1353173145_thumb.jpg

Cheers,

Mick

More 975280 soon

• Like 1