Kirkby Luneside (Original): End of the line....

Physicsman

• RMweb Premium

HI Jeff that ballasting really does look good mate, well done again.

Bodgit

EDIT = It doesn't look like I will be doing any ballasting for a year or so with so much work to do now, (see Bute Road for details). I will ahve to content just looking on here for the next year.

Now you have me worried....will flit over to BR to see what's going on....house move I'm guessing?

At least you can still work in the Club rooms?

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

Like the B17, Jeff.  More on that subject next week....  :scratchhead: ....sometime....  :D 

That will give you time to do some more ballasting......and walling - if you insist.....so....mineral truck to keep you going >>>> :senile:

Polly   :angel: :no: :spruceup:

• Like 1

Rob, I have a few LNER locos: A1, A2, 2 x B1, B17, K3 and 2 A4s on pre-order. Quite fancy a Castle for a 1960s railtour over the S&C!!

I have two medium weathered TMC Jubilees. I have to say that they do Heavy weathering extremely well!!

Jeff

Indeed these models are a joy to behold. B17 I think one of Hornby's finest. This is TMC 'standard' production weathering, with my own little touches of course. Into the night in some god-awful nowhere East Anglian location with fog coming in... reminding me of J B Priestley's "The Good Companions" scenes of 1930s life.

post-7929-0-98796700-1375236549.jpg

Edited by robmcg

• RMweb Premium

Update 1:

In addition to the viaduct - shown on previous photos - ballasting at the valley end has reached the station entrance. Track shown has all been double-ballasted...

post-13778-0-48839500-1375272972_thumb.jpg

post-13778-0-17413700-1375272978_thumb.jpg

Jeff

• Like 7

• RMweb Premium

Update 2:

I've now moved back to the bridge/aqueduct end. If I can get this end ballasted I can complete the cutting/hillside that lies around the main and branch lines.

The track has been vacuumed and sprayed with rail grime. "Rust" will be applied to the rails and masking tape is already down to allow PVA/ballasting to commence shortly...

post-13778-0-67297500-1375273114_thumb.jpg

post-13778-0-04830400-1375273123_thumb.jpg

Jeff

• Like 6

• RMweb Premium

Jeff,

I take it that the turnout at the top of the last picture is supposed to be part of a shunting neck, or are you going to be removing various parts of it to make it into a trap?

Although your ballasting is looking good, I'm waiting for you to start weathering it (you could add balck under fishplates too!).

Oh, and I hope you have been increasing your stack of das bits for your walls, so there will be no hold ups? ;-}

Andy G

All going at a very sane pace if you ask me Jeff, I hope your time spent on ballasting, masking, painting and so on is repaid in the future with a sense of, 'yes, I did that about right', as I sometimes get with various bits and pieces of my own 'work'. The sweep of the line towards the hills, I was going to say "green hills", will be superb.

Rob

edit; a thought about the vertical wall of hardboard behind/adjacent to the track, I would incline to leave this buff or cream or warm grey and NOT painted with scenery, maybe a wash of darker hue towards a sky or horizon. The bland background will accentuate and focus the viewer on the track/foreground... just an opinion, plenty of them from your students!

Edited by robmcg

The ballasting is coming on well I'm glad to see and those Marcway points really do look the business. The use of spray 'Rail Grime' interests me. I was planning to borrow a friends portable compressor and spray the track with some home mixed colour but the aerosol is more convenient. Is it Howes Railmatch? (The next problem is transit seeing as the PO won't carry paint).

• RMweb Premium

The ballasting is coming on well I'm glad to see and those Marcway points really do look the business. The use of spray 'Rail Grime' interests me. I was planning to borrow a friends portable compressor and spray the track with some home mixed colour but the aerosol is more convenient. Is it Howes Railmatch? (The next problem is transit seeing as the PO won't carry paint).

Hi Larry.

The aerosol is Howes Railmatch: 1406 "Sleeper Grime".

Given a good shake (3-4 minutes) before spraying, I've found it works very well.

A cottage industry has now sprung up amongst the couriers, who will deliver the aerosols - at a cost!

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

Hi Jeff, that ballast / track is really looking the dogs :O . have you super elevated any of the track?

Bodgit

What were you doing up at 2.14 in the morning!!

No super elevation on any of the track, Andy. The rail grime does make the track appear lifted, though!

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

Jeff,

I take it that the turnout at the top of the last picture is supposed to be part of a shunting neck, or are you going to be removing various parts of it to make it into a trap?

Although your ballasting is looking good, I'm waiting for you to start weathering it (you could add balck under fishplates too!).

Oh, and I hope you have been increasing your stack of das bits for your walls, so there will be no hold ups? ;-}

Andy G

May have a go at this when I've got a bit more track down. Not quite sure exactly what I'm going to do yet.

DAS supply is substantial for more walling - when I get fed up with the ballast..... Swopping one exciting job for another. almost like watching grass grow.

OOPS! What did I just say....?

Jeff

What were you doing up at 2.14 in the morning!!

No super elevation on any of the track, Andy. The rail grime does make the track appear lifted, though!

Jeff

Hi Jeff, Answer = Planning the new GARDEN LAYOUT, see BR, HAHAhahaaaaa

Bodgit

• RMweb Premium

Boys,

I have made a bit of a discovery in that humbrols old track colour is more or less the same as BS436 (Very) Matt brown. I can barely tell the difference (but my eyes may be shot!)

Andy G

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

A view from the corner looking towards the bridges:

post-13778-0-42473300-1375392925_thumb.jpg

The ballasting here is the first main line layer. All to be repeated tomorrow, at which point my sanity will give out!!

Jeff

• Like 3

Jeff, that ballasting is coming on a treat, but on a couple of pics it looks almost to perfect, and reminds me of Flieshmann Profi Track, I am sure it looks less perfect to the naked eye, and I know I could never hope to achieve that level of perfection, maybe it needs some weeds :no:  or Litter :nono: fag ends :scared: OR EVEN

Dare I mention the G word. :O

It looks brilliant mate, really slick.

Bodgit :sungum:

• RMweb Premium

Jeff, that ballasting is coming on a treat, but on a couple of pics it looks almost to perfect, and reminds me of Flieshmann Profi Track, I am sure it looks less perfect to the naked eye, and I know I could never hope to achieve that level of perfection, maybe it needs some weeds :no:  or Litter :nono: fag ends :scared: OR EVEN

Dare I mention the G word. :O

It looks brilliant mate, really slick.

Bodgit :sungum:

Cheers Andy.

As soon as the ballast has been completed, and as soon as I've worked out how to dirty it a bit, I'll apply some grot, rubbish, weeds and the like to bring it back to "reality"!

At the moment I'm not entirely sure how I'll do all this - I need to look at a few threads for some ideas. But that'll come after the basic ballast has gone in.

Btw, I don't intend to ballast all the layout at the moment. I've already done the areas I set out to do - the viaduct and bridge/aqueduct areas. So I'm open to suggestions - I'll have a look at some of your layouts - for a grotting process.

Colouring-wise - I've still got to try out some acrylic washes on some dummy track.

About time I bought a static-grass applicator, too....something else I've never tried! 

So, plenty of fun ahead.

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

Btw, Andy..... Please don't get TOO down about having packed your gear away at home.

I'm sure you can continue to build BR and elements for TLGP at the Club's HQ?

And I would certainly welcome some specific input into how to "SH*T-up" my ballast/track!!!!!

Jeff

Edited by Physicsman

• RMweb Premium

All those locos Jeff... so few crew!

;)

Cheers

Scott

Ah, well at least one loco will have suitably dressed crewmen when your "characters" arrive!

Any day now, I should think! 

Then I'd better get a few more figures to populate some of the other steamers...

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

You're going to need a few buffer stops Jeff. May I recommend Lanakshire Models ones? I've bought a fair few L&Y ones and they are pretty easy to put together and look a lot better than the Peco efforts, which need a fair bit of chopping about to look anything like as they have erroneous clips on to attach them to the (flat bottom) rails and are a tad generic. I'm not 100% but I am pretty sure that Dave has already cast some Midland ones and I know he has done the BR ones.

I've only put one together so far, will try and get a shot of it (still in silver at present) compared to a Peco one later when I can find my camera.

Edit: forgot the link: http://www.lanarkshiremodels.com/lanarkshire%20models%20and%20supplies%20website_017.htm

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Indeed!

I had three Tees Salt wagons arrive from Bristol yesterday that were ordered after I posted The Boys, so all things being equal, I'd hope you see them before the end of this week...

Scott, "The Boys" arrived this morning and will be kept in a safe place for the time being.

If you want to post one of your pics of them, to explain to others what this is all about, please do so!

Just waiting for Reg Varney now!!

Jeff